Cary S-2's - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Cary S-2's (/showthread.php?tid=8285)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Cary S-2's - cnrglen - 05-04-2017

Just a quick update while I'm working with the second drive.
[Image: DSCF6850_zpsujnrmklk.jpg]
I added the last details to the two shells and sprayed them with a flat black primer. I'll be spraying a different black over this once the primer cures.

Re: Cary S-2's - Brakie - 05-07-2017

Sweet lookers! Thumbsup Thumbsup Applause

Re: Cary S-2's - cnrglen - 05-13-2017

Thanks Larry.
I airbrushed the black on the two today:
[Image: DSCF6852_zpsrcxnei7l.jpg]
I know it doesn't look like a huge color difference but I used a custom mix of black, roof brown and a medium gray to make a slightly warmer, off-black that will look better in the indoors and won't hide the detail like straight black would. After this cures overnight I'll spray gloss clear over them for decaling.

Re: Cary S-2's - JaBear - 05-13-2017

cnrglen Wrote:I know it doesn't look like a huge color difference but I used a custom mix of black, roof brown and a medium gray to make a slightly warmer, off-black that will look better in the indoors and won't hide the detail like straight black would.
Hmmmmm, food for thought.
Looking good Thumbsup
Cheers, the Bear.

Re: Cary S-2's - cnrglen - 06-11-2017

I guess I should update this thread. With the summer-like weather finally here the workshop has slowed down.
Anyway I started to decal the two engines and completed the Canadian National one this evening:
[Image: DSCF6874_zpsjdsudzmo.jpg]
I used some vintage Accu-cals on it, managing to find some that work. Depending on how they were stored they will keep for years.
Looking at a number of photos I found that some of the lower stripes went over the handrail stantions and some did not. I opted for the later since it was easier than trying to form them over the stantions.
[Image: DSCF6875_zps043lbb9j.jpg]
The front and rear stripes were a challenge since I had to slide them under the coupler cut bars but over the handrail stantions as well.
[Image: DSCF6877_zpshvlfo7nl.jpg]
[Image: DSCF6878_zpspvpzlefe.jpg]
After the decals had set up I sprayed the engine down with Testors Glosscote again to blend the decals into the paint job. when that dries I'll give it one more spray with dulcote and then a light weathering. I'm about halfway through the decaling on the CPR engine and I should get that done soon

Re: Cary S-2's - Brakie - 06-12-2017

Sweet! Very nice.. Thumbsup

Re: Cary S-2's - e-paw - 06-12-2017

Looks like it's coming along nicely.

Re: Cary S-2's - twilight - 06-13-2017

These are looking real good Thumbsup

I see you broke out that Tamiya stand. What do you think? It's a far improvement for me from when I was balancing thing on rattle can lids 35

Mark

Re: Cary S-2's - faraway - 06-14-2017

That looks good. The glossy black and the golden parts make a beautiful paint scheme

Re: Cary S-2's - JaBear - 06-17-2017

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Cary S-2's - cnrglen - 06-18-2017

Thanks everyone. I completed the decal job on the Canadian Pacific one last night:
[Image: DSCF6879_zps7fkmqhbi.jpg]
The Decals came from Black Cat and they are layered as to their color. I first had to place the maroon decals down, then I sealed the model, and then I added the yellow/gold.
[Image: DSCF6880%201_zpsndm5vkes.jpg]
the small warning signs on the footboards also came in two parts.
[img]h[Image: DSCF6882_zpsgg65roqr.jpg]
[Image: DSCF6882_zpsgg65roqr.jpg]
I'll let the glosscote dry for a couple days before shooting both shells with dulcote, then I can turn my attention to the windows and finish up the chassis.

[Image: DSCF6883_zpsivptdujt.jpg]
The Tamiya paint stand makes a big difference when painting shells. I made my own a number of years ago from wood and wire but this beats anything I could make.

Re: Cary S-2's - cnrglen - 06-21-2017

While the glosscote was curing I turned my attention to the second frame/drive. I managed to find a really cheap athearn SW-7.
[Image: DSCF6884_zpsh6pxro9t.jpg]
That just happened to have the newer trucks with the plastic sideframes. I did a quick switch of the trucks so I can track down a second set of Alco Blunt sideframes and both of my S-2's will have the correct trucks.
[Image: DSCF6885_zpshnwej9im.jpg]
After I added the trucks I set to silicon the motor into the shell when I discovered the I had forgotten to cement the universals and flywheels to the motor shafts. with that near disaster adverted I cemented everything in place this afternoon.
As a side note does anyone want an Athearn SW-7 in and early Canadian Pacific Maroon scheme? Even thought it's got the older trucks it still runs fine (a bit noisy at higher speeds). The motor has been hard-wired in and a new light was placed into the shell. Also it has the gold motor

Re: Cary S-2's - cnrglen - 07-08-2017

Well I just got the CP engine back from my DCC guy. He installed a digitrax DZ-123 decoder:
[Image: DSCF6886%202_zps9ejzxzzb.jpg]
He also installed a pair of warm white LEDs into the shell.
[Image: DSCF6887_zps6mysb2hv.jpg]
With that done I sprayed the engine with testors dulcote and added the window glass. You may also notice that it's sporting the proper Alco 'blunt' truck sideframes.
[Image: DSCF6888_zpstjbevdhi.jpg]
IA few shots of it on the layout. I'm not sure if I'll weather it more that it already is. the dulcote gave it and its' CN brother a slight molted look on the top of the hood and roof, sort a rained-on look.
[Image: DSCF6889_zpswfho8xrm.jpg]
If there is one thing I'd like to change is if it had a set of Nickel silver wheelsets as the Athearn sintered-iron ones dirty up quite quickly.

Re: Cary S-2's - doctorwayne - 07-08-2017

Good-looking locomotive, Glen, but if it were possible, I'd have those sintered iron wheels on all locomotives, including steam. They gave a locomotive a good grip on the rail, and I never had an issue with them getting dirty.

Wayne

Re: Cary S-2's - cnrglen - 07-09-2017

Thanks Wayne, actually I gave the wheels a good cleaning and the engine runs just fine now. I'll probably save myself the cost of the new wheelsets and buy something else I can use.