GEC's Layout Progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: GEC's Layout Progress (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 11-08-2010

Yeah, they have some freaky stuff out here. NJ transit runs the OLDEST passenger locomotives in the country, the former CNJ GP40Ps (they are now GP40PH-2As or something like that). The only real difference between them in the 1970s and now, is that they had there Steam generators traded for HEP generators, and in the 1990s, they had their hoods flared all the way down (rather than a square rear). if you see a GP40 in the 4100 series, its a an old CNJ (until you hit the GP40FH-2)

Those GP40FH-2s are also pretty ancient, considering they are built from 1970s GP40s and F45 parts. I'm thinking alot of these locomotives (and even some of the newer electrics like the ALP44) are going to be going soon. there are only 4 GP40FH-2s left. they aren't particularly exciting in there own right, but on the other hand, they really are the last of a design, kinda like F-units. You won't see many GP40-based passenger engines soon.

In other news, my Silverliner IIIs are moving along nicely. Now i just need to find a gentle way to strip them, or at least smooth out the paint. the old coat that was on them is crumbling off the model too easily. i want a fresh base to start.

how would you strip paint from a resin shell?

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 11-17-2010

I found this at the Conrail Historical Society Website. Clearly, this is something i need to model! Thats the only commuter equipment i've seen with a Conrail logo on it, except maybe some PRSL RDCs that may have had a conrail logo before they went to NJ transit. Interestingly, the "mate" in this married pair still has Penn Central logos on it. there are not Silverliner IV married pairs out yet, but i'm sure they are imminent from the same company that made my Arrow IIIs. its a cool project to try (on a list of cool projects i'd like to do).

[Image: _original]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - tomustang - 11-18-2010

Now THAT is rare, nice find

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 11-18-2010

I've begun filling in the damage caused by the previous owner of these Silverliner IIIs. Most of the holes are hard to see, the flutted sides are totally repaired, and once i paint over it, the seams should dissappear. right now, the white styrene contrasts the gray plastic and whats left of the silver paint.

[Image: 1101to072010gp40fh2silv.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - tomustang - 11-18-2010

What type of filler did you use?

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 11-19-2010

tomustang Wrote:What type of filler did you use?

styrene and super glue

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 11-23-2010

I probably should have elaborated in that i used styrene to plug the holes, and the capiliary action of the CA to fill in the seams.

New Aquisitions

I have just aquired 5 Amfleet I Phase 1 coaches and 2 Amfleet I Phase I food service cars. Its enough to model the Senator on a regular non-friday weekday. I'm hoping to maybe find a few more Walthers Amfleet Is to match. I know they're not perfect, but they're better than some of the other amfleets out there. two or three more coaches would let me model the majority of Amtrak trains on the corridor during the late 1978/79 (When GG1s still ran for conrail, and MP54s were still grinding along).

They were is rough shape, but i should able to fix them. One coach came with working tail markers, and the worst damage appears to be some kind of glue on the windows. I can't figure out what it is, its hard as a rock, but it didn't craze. I may be able to get spare window sets.

RIP Track

Also, my Catenary poles have been repaired from that Protoype meet back in october. As it turns out, some of the missing pieces were actually wedged into the channel of the H-columns.

I attempted to replace the headlight in my PRR J1 2-10-4 (Broadway Limited). Getting the headlight replaced was easy enough, but the headlight still won't turn on (meaning maybe my headlight wasn't blown out in the first place). I can't seem to figure that one out.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-11-2010

Well, I started painting my silverliner IIIs. They're in the all black undercoat, but i might strip them and try again. I may also strip my Arrow III Single (which is currently in NJ transit paint), and repaint it into an NJ DOT unit. This is also because my paint has a lot of dust in it. I'm just trying to be sure that 91% alcohol won't hurt the resin shells.

I also got some PATCO-1 cars, a married pair set. These are familiar to anyone who commutes over the Ben Franklin Bridge in Philadelphia, or lives in Southern New Jersey. these cars have been running since 1968, and are, in appearance, EXACTLY the same. The PATCO-1 cars were rebuilt in the 1980s when additional nearly Identical cars were bought (PATCO-IIs,which lacked skirting), where they had some of their inner workings modified for more reliability. The interior design, their sound, and their paint is still the same as it was.

the PATCO runs on 750 volt DC third rail.

[Image: newpatcomodel121010003.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - P5se Camelback - 12-11-2010

I used to take the Lindenwold High Speed Line over the bridge to Collingswood when I first started to work in the consultant design office in the old Dy-Dee Wash of New Jersey plant (where we worked 8 hours a day on product design and then whatever you could do without getting in trouble at home on converting the building into a design office and model shop for us and one or two rental office space(s).

As far as I know, it was the first totally computer-controlled commuter train. There was no motorman ... and it always stopped in the right spot at the station platform. I can remember people who wouldn't ride it because there was "nobody driving it!"

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-11-2010

P5se Camelback Wrote:I used to take the Lindenwold High Speed Line over the bridge to Collingswood when I first started to work in the consultant design office in the old Dy-Dee Wash of New Jersey plant (where we worked 8 hours a day on product design and then whatever you could do without getting in trouble at home on converting the building into a design office and model shop for us and one or two rental office space(s).

As far as I know, it was the first totally computer-controlled commuter train. There was no motorman ... and it always stopped in the right spot at the station platform. I can remember people who wouldn't ride it because there was "nobody driving it!"

Actually, thats semi-true. the train does work automatically, but it still uses a CTC machine. The automation has more to do with station stops. However, they ALWAYS have an engineer running the train, since the engineer also is in charge of opening/closing the doors and such. This is why the Patco motor man's seat is on the left side of the car. (unusual for railroad cars). This way, he can look out the window and see everything. PATCO engineers are also required to manually control the train for one trip a day to keep in practice running the train. They are allowed to run manually as much as they want, but they tend to stick to the automatic control since its faster (train stops and starts quicker). the engineer still needs to blow the horn, and perform other operations as well (such as overriding the automatic train station stops when not required), so it is still under direct human supervision.

there is a Fourth rail in the tracks that i think controls this.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - P5se Camelback - 12-11-2010

Well, it has been thirty-six years ... and my memory has not been getting any sharper these days!

I do remember on night in my apartment on the third floor at 17th and Spruce in Philly, thinking that we might have had some kind of small earthquake. The next morning we found out the Lindenwold train had run into the wall at the E.O.T at the 17th and Locust subway platform (one block north.) It was quite late, maybe the motorman fell asleep or the computer had a glitch or something. But several of us wandered over from PCA in between classes for a look. It was a bit of a mess ... and difficullt to get to ... I mean, it was at the end of a tunnel with no access except from the rear.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-14-2010

Ouch! that does sound like a problem. I'll have to look into that.

Here is a project i did a few weeks ago, but didn't really post pictures of. Its a back-dated F40PH-2. NJ transit didn't have dynamic brakes with their F40s initially. Only when they rebuilt them into F40PH-2CATs (extended hood over the rear platform for a caterpillar HEP set) did they add dynamics. This locomotive represents 4113 as delivered in 1983.

[Image: morerostershots12141003.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-20-2010

I can't always beat the dust, but i love the SMOOTH coat of this paint. This unit will be numbered 236 when i get the right decals. Beautiful!

[Image: silverlineriiidecaled12.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-23-2010

Oh boy, yet another model to add to the roster! I just picked up an undecorated AEM7 electric. My plan is to modify it to be an AEM7-AC. the AC variants are recent rebuilds of the old AEM7s so that they run on AC power, as opposed to DC. These modifications require heavy modification to the roof, and ditch lights (which are tricky, since they are mounted recessed in the face of the locomotive). As it turns out, one of my standard AEM7 models has been modified to be an AC unit, which means a renumbering. While its not hard to modify the locomotive, repainting it WOULD be a problem. Its easier to renumber.

This rebuild also increased the horsepower of the engine from 7000 to 8,0000 HP. I hope that i can fill the larger roof boxes with lead to help increase the weight. Anyway i can make it heavier will help it.

Here are some protoype Photos-

the AEM7-AC

[Image: pictures%5C8600%5C07%2012-10%2018.JPG]

a "Standard" AEM7.

[Image: pictures%5C1142%5Catk55-8904a.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - ocalicreek - 12-28-2010

Painting those units would indeed be a challenge. Love the blue 5 chime horn!