GEC's Layout Progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: GEC's Layout Progress (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 03-20-2011

I think you're right, I'll have to clear that layout off and get the power up again, and make sure it all at least works still. the winter tends to shift the rails a little! I'll have trains running yet!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Lester Perry - 03-20-2011

:hey: GO FOR IT!!!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 03-27-2011

A tour of my layout before it got piled with junk!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffphbKGp5Bs">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffphbKGp5Bs</a><!-- m -->

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - tomustang - 03-28-2011

That's a nice video Chris, really shows you can get a lot of views on a 4X8 based size layout, and gives a good look into your years of operating your setup. I like your comment about the blue Icon_lol

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Lester Perry - 03-28-2011

I only see one problem. It is D***els, electric and no steam!!!!!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 03-28-2011

Lester Perry Wrote:I only see one problem. It is D***els, electric and no steam!!!!!

What? You missed it! there was a Challenger pulling a "special" about mid way through the video, with a Diesel providing Head end power!

also, my Pennsy J1 won't run on this layout, lol.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - ocalicreek - 03-28-2011

Hey GEC - great video! Nice to see the progression of motive power and some of the changes overtime. This seems to have been a great learning layout and one that you'll look back on fondly when more space, time and cash allows a bigger, better system.

But I'm most encouraged to hear/read you saying that you'll stick with it through the college years. I managed to do likewise, even through grad school and especially during two years of internship where I joined a club (and met Russ B.)

Keep sharing your progress. OH - and I finally saw one of those crazy diesels you kitbashed/resin cast on a video recently, showing the C&O 614 running some 'Erie' fan trips. "Hey - that's GEC's wacky diesel!", I actually said out loud. Big Grin

Galen

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Lester Perry - 03-28-2011

OK I stand corrected. I must confess that I did skip a couple minutes of it ,sorry.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 03-29-2011

HOORAY REAL LAYOUT UPDATE

I cleaned all the junk off the layout (now it surrounds the layout, baby steps!), attempted to clean the tracks and started soldering some of the old sectional track together. I'm not sure how well this will help it, but I'm banking on it being to counteract the incredibly loose and finicky Rail joiners. I'm considering soon replacing ALL sectional track with flex-track, as the sectional track is just not cutting it. when it doesn't fail electrically, its shifting out of alignment and causing my models to jump the track.

I'm also going to try to solder more feeders into the layout, mostly on the "common" rail side. originally, the layout was block wired, and the inner rail was all connected throughout. Of course, anytime that inner rail breaks connection on two sides, i get an open circuit and it stops running. I'd already added additional feeders into my industrial park, but it looks like i'm going to be adding more in the yard area and a couple on the mainline, as well as checking to make sure there aren't any feeders that may be disconnected (i had disconnected some for reason i can't remember several years ago).

I'm also considering new switches, and adapting the current road bed to take "numbered" switches instead of the snap switches they were built with originally. If i can find a good way for them to fit, I'll probably rip many of the old switches out.

As far as my models go, i did some minor repairs to my E33, and i installed the windows in my two built Silverliner III MU cars. I have a third kit i just received but i don't know when I'll get around to starting that kit.

I also repainted my Arrow III single with new Alclad II base coat, and I'm waiting for a good day to give it some Alclad II chrome. I've got some NJ DOT decals at least, so i should be able to get it mostly decorated by the time the paint dries. the road-numbers will be hard to find though.

Finally, I'm working on another video, following a "train" on my layout, from being put together in the yard to being delivered and returning back to the yard. What a horrible experience (good luck getting the train out of the yard)! its really showing the age of my layout, and probably pointing out the need to rebuild some of it. thank god the section under my current catenary bridges are already replaced with flex track, so i don't have to worry about those bridges not being aligned with the track. Its probably a good thing that I'm checking this all now before i added wires and got myself stuck.

anyway, if all goes smoothly (relatively speaking), i might be able to have this video done before friday. If i work fast, i can have the footage done tomorrow.

ocalicreek Wrote:Hey GEC - great video! Nice to see the progression of motive power and some of the changes overtime. This seems to have been a great learning layout and one that you'll look back on fondly when more space, time and cash allows a bigger, better system.

But I'm most encouraged to hear/read you saying that you'll stick with it through the college years. I managed to do likewise, even through grad school and especially during two years of internship where I joined a club (and met Russ B.)

Keep sharing your progress. OH - and I finally saw one of those crazy diesels you kit-bashed/resin cast on a video recently, showing the C&O 614 running some 'Erie' fan trips. "Hey - that's GEC's wacky diesel!", I actually said out loud. Big Grin

Galen

Thanks, I actually just started "attempting" to get my layout up and running. At least three times i wanted to hit it with a sledge hammer, I guess when you don't keep up with things, they start to deteriorate! I'd definitely have to agree with putting this down as a "learning layout", it just doesn't work like it used to. I've always had little problems, but now its really refusing to cooperate. I don't even know where to start on the problems!

I hope if i ever do make a larger layout that it gets done more reliably. I'll have to really check for perfect track in the future.

LOL, yeah, those GP40FH-2 locomotives are just about as extinct as that steamer's brethren are. The last i checked, only 4 still run. Some are out in Canada, but then i heard they didn't like them there either. I was told that they did not age well (ironically, NJ transit's GP40PH-2s in the first half of the 4100 series are 1968 locomotives built for the CNJ, and they're STILL going. They're the oldest regularly operated passenger locomotive). The weird hood apparently also got in the way of repairs. Its a shame to, NJ transit is really loosing a lot of its "variety". Many of its unique locomotives are dissappearing from the roster, and same with its rolling stock. I suppose progress is progress, but a lot of that stuff isn't really that old yet either. Thats business i guess!

The model of the GP40FH-2 is in much better shape, i just need to add a few more handrails and details before i feel ready to clear coat it, and then I'll put the windows into the cab. hopefully the innards will be next ( i ended up taking apart the drive many years ago when i modified the frame and now i need to dig up the parts again).

Lester Perry Wrote:OK I stand corrected. I must confess that I did skip a couple minutes of it ,sorry.

Thats alright! I'll try to get my other Steamer in early so you don't have to sit and wait for it in my next video. Its gonna be a short trip, i tried to see if i could coax that 2-10-4 onto a 22" curve..... not gonna happen! Icon_lol Wallbang Icon_lol

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 04-18-2011

well, once again i'm seriously considering changing up my layout. I think if i make my layout into an 8x9 donut, that i can rearrange the shape and configuration of my hard so that it actually works. I may also rearrange passenger stations and make it so that the layout functions more like a point to point, with a "connecting" track to allow for continuous running. I haven't quit figured out how i want to do it yet, but i do at least have the new yard figured. it would fit on the same space as the old yard, but it would be pointed "off" the table (the oval would have to be interupted here).

I'll post pictures when i have something more reasonably planned.

I also recently got a new Silverliner III. I'm sure i mentioned it, but here it is-

[Image: p4180021.jpg]

I also pulled out my Arrow III MU kits. these have to get done sometime soon, they're to awesome to sit in boxes.

[Image: p4180013j.jpg]

[Image: p4180016.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - MrBill - 04-19-2011

Keep at it man. You're the only one out there i know of that's doing electric stuff like this. Got any track plan sketches or room dimensions? The point to point idea sounds like a good start. Also are you picking up any #6 turnouts along with those cars?

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Amtrak X995 - 04-19-2011

Hi

MrBill Wrote:........ You're the only one out there i know of that's doing electric stuff like this.

really??

I have long discussions with both manufacturer of NJ Transit and other commuter equipment ( i think, you know the companies).

My problem is, that the system, how to power such equipment is not good enough for me and the kind, how to use.
Any magic beatle drive system has an thermical problem after more than one hour run, guess what will happen, if the equipment have to run one the under "exebitions" stress ( means up to 9h runtime). Older magic beatles ( thenshodo...) have the problem, that they are realy difficult to convert them in dcc opperation ( the pick ups, go directly to the motor, most molded together...)
Now, let`s see, what happens with the new nwsl stanton drive....
The older equipment (GEM metroliners--anyone need some?), need los of work to re-power, same as Bachmann Metroliners. A good compromise was the idea, to use an rdc driving system, some models are prepared for it....
Our priority in the past was building a layout, then spend time for the equipment.
When our "new" commuter station with surrounding city area will be finished ( 2 tracks, each 1,5meters length for trains-premiere will be on the convention in Germany in October), the we can use some of the models.
Also in autumn ( perhaps) the con-cor mp54 will delivered, we will see, how they will work.
I ( we) have lots of "building sites" ( engines fittet with sound and prototypical ligths, cab interiours etc..), some engine kits...lost of work.

@Green_Elite_Cab

please take enough time to plan your layout, snapshot ideas mostly leeds to an dead end. Only in taking time and thinking about leeds to an good reasonable result.
After planing use plenty of time in trackwork, i will affirm, that you can built an layout with no derailments (it works-believe me, no derailments on our layout, able to push 4 comet I..)

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 04-19-2011

Amtrak X995 Wrote:Hi

MrBill Wrote:........ You're the only one out there i know of that's doing electric stuff like this.

really??

No, i would agree, because i only know a few other people who have any real MU car fleets. Most people i know who own MUs either have a handful of Metroliners or bits and pieces of brass they've picked up. To me, i can't see how you'd model ANY New Jersey Electrified line without an MU car of some kind (except for a small branch from Monmouth Junction to South Amboy that was used by coal and freight on an irregular basis).

indeed, there is no spot on the NEC that doesn't see daily runs of Electric Multiple Units. You almost need a fleet of these just for the scene to be complete. Unfortunately, the high price and small productions make it difficult to obtain any large numbers of these cars, and the supply is just short of the demand every time. When i talk to Mike from IHP (IHP makes all the MU models posted above), he tells me that most people just buy one or two kits of the trains they ride, or operated as engineers, or see by their house. Making extras would be bad because if he can't sell them, then he looses out.

Quote:I have long discussions with both manufacturer of NJ Transit and other commuter equipment ( i think, you know the companies).

My problem is, that the system, how to power such equipment is not good enough for me and the kind, how to use.
Any magic beatle drive system has an thermical problem after more than one hour run, guess what will happen, if the equipment have to run one the under "exebitions" stress ( means up to 9h runtime). Older magic beatles ( thenshodo...) have the problem, that they are realy difficult to convert them in dcc opperation ( the pick ups, go directly to the motor, most molded together...)
Now, let`s see, what happens with the new nwsl stanton drive....
The older equipment (GEM metroliners--anyone need some?), need los of work to re-power, same as Bachmann Metroliners. A good compromise was the idea, to use an rdc driving system, some models are prepared for it....
Our priority in the past was building a layout, then spend time for the equipment.
When our "new" commuter station with surrounding city area will be finished ( 2 tracks, each 1,5meters length for trains-premiere will be on the convention in Germany in October), the we can use some of the models.
Also in autumn ( perhaps) the con-cor mp54 will delivered, we will see, how they will work.
I ( we) have lots of "building sites" ( engines fittet with sound and prototypical ligths, cab interiours etc..), some engine kits...lost of work.

First up, i have a video about the various available MU car drives. You can see the various MUs on the run. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMVshsDY9hQ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMVshsDY9hQ</a><!-- m -->

I agree, the drive problems for these things are ridiculous. Very few of these things go fast enough to satisfy me, especially if you want to run a metroliner at scale speeds. for some of the other Commuter cars, its not such a big deal.

My Silverliner III has a Stanton drive in it, and it seems to work alright. However, those Silverliner III models are featherweights compared to the Arrow III and Silverliner IV kits. I'm concerned that after a powered trucks won't be able to handle the heavier models. I might break down and buy IHP drive frames if he offers them separately.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 04-19-2011

Amtrak X995 Wrote:Hi

@Green_Elite_Cab

please take enough time to plan your layout, snapshot ideas mostly leeds to an dead end. Only in taking time and thinking about leeds to an good reasonable result.
After planing use plenty of time in trackwork, i will affirm, that you can built an layout with no derailments (it works-believe me, no derailments on our layout, able to push 4 comet I..)

Trust me, this isn't a snapshot idea, i've been studying ways to increase space on this layout for a long time. Part of the problem is that the layout was meant for 40' cars behind GP18s and SW1s. I was 14 when i bought the book i got the plan from and didn't know that larger equipment (GP40-2s, 50' boxcars) wouldn't fit in right. Whats more, only one oval can handle passenger trains, and so it limits the operations of my MU cars.

For a long time, i considered totally removing the yard and making an addition that had a whole larger yard on it. However, that would still have problems getting back into the "ovals" correctly, and would leave me with a weird hole in my layout.

Rather than go this route, i've decided to just break open the oval. most of my passenger equipment is push-pull or double ended, so shuttling from one "end" to the other is no big deal. this will let my elongate the existing yard and add passing tracks and a yard lead, so that yard operations don't fowl the main line. This would also allow me to eliminate the tight curves on the inner oval, and shift to either 22" and 24"s, instead of 18" and 22", opening my mainlines to any sort of freight and passenger equipment.

The only problems i can see is that for passenger trains, is that the longest trains i could get would be 4 MU cars, or three car Locomotive hauled trains. These wouldn't be unrealistic for the sort of line I'm representing on my model railroad, but they would be a tight squeeze.

In addition, the crossovers and interlockings take up space and i'm not sure i can fit these things in rationally. I'll have to play with it.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - MrBill - 04-23-2011

Just watching your video comparison of drive units. You should be a paid consultant for those guys considering the amount of work you do with their products. As background, my interest in this subject revolves around the Reading Company. We hooked up thru the Reading Modeler. You may recall the roof color battle amongst those guys when IHP anounced the old Reading MU's were coming out. While I currently work with older, easier to model freight ops, Your models take me back to Philly in the 70's riding into and around the Reading terminal. I Really enjoy your enthusiasm on the subject. I do more track planning than anything else these days. Can't help much with power trucks, but if you have time to post a fairly tight room plan with dimensions and available space, I'd like to take a stab at some layout drawings for you.