GEC's Layout Progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: GEC's Layout Progress (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - faraway - 06-04-2012

This is nice overview. The German min / max / standard is about 15" / 38" / 30"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_platform_height

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - BR60103 - 06-04-2012

I made high platforms with foam insulation. I found the 1/2" (or was it 9/16"?) stuff just the right height. (British OO scale, no roadbed)
I had to fit mine to tracks that didn't run straight, so I stripped everything off and pressed the foam down onto the rails. Then I used a compass to mark the platform sides the right distance (I forget what) from the rail dents and cut. The visible side could be detailed a bit, but I just painted it and marked the white tiles along the edges.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 06-08-2012

I noticed at my LHS the other day that Wheels of Time has come out with HO decals, including the bumps, for the yellow platform edging on commuter platforms <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wheelsotime.com/accessories/">http://www.wheelsotime.com/accessories/</a><!-- m --> (scroll down).

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 06-09-2012

jwb Wrote:I noticed at my LHS the other day that Wheels of Time has come out with HO decals, including the bumps, for the yellow platform edging on commuter platforms <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wheelsotime.com/accessories/">http://www.wheelsotime.com/accessories/</a><!-- m --> (scroll down).

Now that is cool! Finally, someone making a detail related to modern passenger trains. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of that.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 06-18-2012

made some progress yesterday. still haven't built that guard-wall, but i haven't been running anything either.

Repairs-

I repaired all my AEM7/ALP44 electrics. these boxy locomotives all have rear-view mirrors that frequenty get knocked off. I collected all the missing mirror and any other missing details, and stuck them back on, so they should be in good shape.

I also repaired several structures on my layout, including the "house on the corner", and the old Guard shack (which has not been on the layout, but had become damaged somehow). I also found a new set of "Shootin Hoops" Woodland scenics figures. The original set got destroyed a few years ago by my dad while he was working near the layout. Hopefully, I can get it back together similar to how I had it.

Still waiting on AC6000CW parts to repair last months fall.

New business

I have just about completed E60CH # 968. This was an American GK kit I picked up ages ago with the E44s i bought. I had started building it with my girlfriend but we never got back to it, so i threw it together. All it needs is couplers, a decoder, and the upper gyra-light/ red warning light assembly. I did cut one light housing a little wrong, but used tamiya two-part putty to fill this in (and then a little later drill out so that when painted, the hole will appear correct). This E60 is superior in performance to the Bachmann one (#971), and I suspect its closer to scale.

Here is #968 in 2009. Its been sitting for three years! Will post photos of it once completed-

[Image: Christmas2009aquisitionsandprogress001.jpg]

I also rebuilt the underframe of my Arrow III Single RTR unit to match the Arrow III. Originally, it came with a Silverliner IV underbody (refer to the SEPTA/Reading Company unit in my photos). they are similar, but not identical.

There was an equipment cabinent of some kind that needed to go, and the battery box was in the wrong place. I molded and casted a new battery box from one of my Arrow III kits, and then cut off the battery box and equipment cabinent. The original battery box was salvageable, but I decided to use my cast instead. The battery boxe's rightful place was the location of the incorrect equipment cabinent, so i put some CA on the cast and stuck it up solidly to the frame.

Silverliner IV- The battery box is the gray piece. On the Arrow III, nothing occupies this space. Instead, the battery box is just beyond the center door (plugged on the Silverliner)

[Image: LastweekofSeptember2010070cropped.jpg]

The Arrow III, unmodified. The battery box is visible here. Will post photos of this to soon

[Image: P5300739.jpg]

I do feel a little better that I've been getting stuff on my layout done again. For a little while, I was hardly touching any of it. My budget is still non-existent, but I have several projects to work on.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Ralph - 06-18-2012

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:[Image: LastweekofSeptember2010070cropped.jpg]

Love that shot! Thumbsup
Ralph

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Steamtrains - 06-18-2012

Coming along nicely... Thumbsup
Love the retaining wall in that last pic. Is it a commercial casting or a DIY..??

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 06-18-2012

The irreplaceable but departed Frank Cicero had an E60 article in RMC -- he said the Walthers/GK underframe is reversed to the position of the roof detail. The guts of a GK/Walthers are basically Athearn blue box, so it's your choice whether that's better than a current-run Bachmann -- if they're anything like the GP9 or S-4, I'd even give the Bachmann a slight edge.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 06-18-2012

Ralph Wrote:Love that shot! Thumbsup
Ralph

Steamtrains Wrote:Coming along nicely... Thumbsup
Love the retaining wall in that last pic. Is it a commercial casting or a DIY..??

Thats over at the Burlington County Model Railroad Club. I also love that shot, I wish it were a little more clear, but it makes that Silverliner lookg good. All it needs is some Reading Company Wires!

I'll ask at tonight's meeting about the retaining wall. I suspect its a commercially available retaining wall, but I know its kitbashed into that retaining wall from the original piece. They started making molds of these things as the original company that made it appears to be gone.

jwb Wrote:The irreplaceable but departed Frank Cicero had an E60 article in RMC -- he said the Walthers/GK underframe is reversed to the position of the roof detail. The guts of a GK/Walthers are basically Athearn blue box, so it's your choice whether that's better than a current-run Bachmann -- if they're anything like the GP9 or S-4, I'd even give the Bachmann a slight edge.

I saw an E60 in the background of his AL46 article, but I have not yet found that E60 Article. Do you have the Issue date? I have put together a nice NJ Transit E60, though I have not finished detailing it.

When it comes to the difference between the Bachmann and The American GK units, there is no doubt. I can coax that Bachmann into pulling about 7 un-oiled Amfleet cars (maybe more) at a moderate pace on level track. However, with a little extra weight (not even useing the Bull-frog snot), I can get the American GK E60s to pull a 13 car passenger train up a 4% grade without yielding.

On the other end, the Bachmann units are only the "standard", not Spectrum, and they are light weight. The inside is packed though, with the motor and "on-board" DCC decoder.

I kinda wish I can squeeze more performance out of them, since I'd like to be able to pull long trains with them as well. The bachmann model is the E60CP (steam heat) version , while the American GK is the E60CH (Head End Power) version. The E60CPs appeared to be typically used on long distance trains consisting of "heritage" cars, while the E60CHs seemed to be handling more Amfleet consists which tended to be shorter.

For Example, the Silver meteor would more likely be hauled behind An E60CP or a GG1, but not the E60CH.

Here is my NJ Transit unit. This is one of two surviving E60s in real life.

[Image: 412to182010NJtransitmodelE44s019.jpg]

[Image: 412to182010NJtransitmodelE44s016.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 06-18-2012

I'm traveling right now, but when I get home next week, I'll check for the RMC issue.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 06-22-2012

The E60CH #968 is almost done. Just needs couplers, some details, and the upper headlight housing, of which i am still working on.

[Image: P6210775.jpg]

[Image: P6210772.jpg]

[Image: P6210762.jpg]

[Image: P6210759.jpg]

Also, the Arrow III frame has been corrected. the battery box is the white resin part. As soon as i get another #80 drll bit set, i will add grabirons.

[Image: P6210779.jpg]

[Image: P6210781.jpg]

[Image: P6210782.jpg]

Playing with the idea of a high level platform still....

[Image: P6210802.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 06-25-2012

The Frank Cicero article on the E60 was in Railroad Model Craftsman, January 1992.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 06-28-2012

cool, thanks a bunch!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 07-08-2012

I have for the time being solved the "falling train" problem. I have bolted a 1x6 to the side of the layout. I have more lumber and intend to do this all the way around the entire layout. The extra inches not only keep the trains safe, but allow extra opportunity for scenery

My girlfriend helped keep it all level and lined up while I mounted the plank to the side.

[Image: P7060868.jpg]

The extra distance will make it less likely that trains can tumble over the side, while avoiding a plastic fence.

[Image: P7060871.jpg]

It also allows for a little more foreground in photos.

[Image: P7060869.jpg]

If you notice in the first picture, my train shelf is half full. The plan is to move the "modern" (1983 and up) trains to new display cases I plan to build. My girlfriend seems to enjoy working with the wood and building things, so we'll see where it all goes. Should be fun!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - BR60103 - 07-08-2012

When you scenic that shelf, try for a slight slope up. This will contain most of the spills. And think about soft scenery -- foam insulation or the rubbery stuff that was in one of the mags a few months ago.