GEC's Layout Progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: GEC's Layout Progress (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 04-27-2014

Help save the U34CH 3372!

U-boats are pretty fascinating, and this one is almost functional. Its also the last of its kind. I might be biased because its one of my favorite locomotives.

The U34CH was one of the first passenger locomotives to use Head-End Power, instead of steam. They ran on the Erie Lackawanna's diesel-powered commuter trains from Hoboken Terminal from 1971 to the early 1990s.

I already picked up a T-shirt, and I hope they can pull the engine to Boontoon. I'd be very excited to see it this September!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://urhs.org/blog/2013/12/help-restore-u34ch-3372/">http://urhs.org/blog/2013/12/help-restore-u34ch-3372/</a><!-- m -->

I have a model 3371, but I need to add the distinctive details.

[Image: IMG_0114.jpg]

Model Railroad Blues

It seems like every few months I run into a "slog" when it comes to this hobby. I have plenty of projects, and plenty of opportunities to further them but I some how feel inhibited. Many of the other projects I would like to work on require more research. In particular, many of my passenger car core kits lack underbody details or even the proper trucks! These answers don't appear to be easy to come by, though fortunately I have some guidance with my Amtrak car Plan Book.

Other projects need paint, and the warm weather will be good for that. Still, finding the "right" paint and doing a good paint job still seem to be difficult for me.

I guess I miss the momentum. I make posts here pretty frequently, but most of it is just me mentioning new things I've picked up. New things are nice, but they aren't really an accomplishment or anything fulfilling.

Eventually, my rivet-counting mind eventually finds problems that sucks the fun out of it, such as my new Conrail U25B, which I was really excited about until I started paying attention to pictures of #2582.

In fact, some projects are not doing well at all, the most depressing of which lately has been my catenary systems, where my Reading Module lost tension for reasons I don't understand (all solder joints were as tight and strong as ever), and the steel wire on my layout's catenary finally had it, and rusted beyond repair in some places. Though i have LOTS of wire, it seems none of it is good enough (my steel wire will rust, and the "coiled" phosphor bronze isn't working out.).

I guess I just need to take it easy and work on the "easy" projects.

Passenger car tune-up

For my passenger cars that are mostly operational, I've been equipping them with kadee couplers, and other adjustments/improvements. Its not super exciting, but its good to have reliable passenger cars. All of my CDOT cars, and most of my Amtrak cars are now fully functional and reliable. I have a few NJ Transit cars that needed work, and I have three Amtrak cars that need to be tested.

The trickiest one was my AC&F "coffee shop lounge", or Amtrak's diner car #8150. for some reason this car actually sat lower than other cars, with the roof and couplers hanging low. The car had a hard time staying coupled and was clearly out of standard. I made some shims and this seemed to solve the problem, though the couplers are still on the low end.

On the CDOT cars, I experimented with graphite powder to let them roll better, which seems to be partially successful. the cab car does not roll as well, but it might have more to do with the graphite not being worked into the inside bearing truck well.

I have three new Amtrak cars that will be part of various trains I plan to model, such as the Silver Meteor. These include an additional Budd 24-8 Slumbercoach, an AC&F 44 Seat coach, and Budd Parlor car, all in Amtrak Phase I.

Dissapointment leads to some interesting things- my new U25B locomotive

My new Conrail U25B #2582 came in earlier this week, which was fun, since its nice to get an engine that requires zero work and is already 100% functional. It is a "newer" Bowser executive line with an NCE decoder installed. It runs very smooth, and so I know i'll be using it in the future.

The only disappointment is that the model doesn't look like an existing U25B. As it turns out, GE's first road switcher changed quite a bit over its production run, and a "solid" appearance for GE's U-boat line didn't appear until the mid production of the U28B (we'll get to that in a second).

My model is Half early production, half late production. Normally, this is the sort of thing I'd pay attention to, but I hadn't noticed the issue until i compared photographs to the model after I got it. My hope is that most people have way less of an eye for these things that I do, because the model is still attractive.

Still, I do enjoy researching this sort of thing. Its amazing how much variety there is out there! I had to stop myself from typing up a mini-history of the locomotive.

Fixing the U28B

Speaking of U-boats (seems to be my theme of the day), one of mine that has been sitting for a while is my U28B. #2822 was one of two NYC U28Bs, the only locomotives of the type in the northeast. These particular U28Bs were also special in that they were the "first" U28Bs made with the classic "U-boat" profile. Early U28Bs looked like U25Bs, which are fairly unique. 2822 (and 2823) kept their NYC numbers through the Penn Central and Conrail mergers, being retired in 1983.

For some reason, Proto 2000 saw fit to steal defeat from the jaws of victory. Their Penn Central version had PRR style road numbers, and their Conrail version of the same prototype had a nose-light for no apparent reason. This has always bugged me but I picked the model up at a time where I wasn't as familiar with the engines as I am now.

Still, I'm happy to have it. I blew out both headlights early on (d'oh! I could have had an extra LED!) when I tried to add DCC to it several years ago, and so 2822 had been sitting ever since.

Lately though it has been bugging me to have a good model just sit because of a few burnt-out LEDs and a nose light.

I decided to fix the "nose" problem. I masked off the details on the nose, and then scraped the nose light off the model, carved and polished the contour of the nose, and then filled the headlight holes. If i was wise, I would have left the lens castings in place and filled the edges. Instead, i just packed it full of modeler's puddy. Some Polly-scale Conrail Blue paint was close enough to the finish that some weathering should cover it up.

It might need some further polishing and another layer of puddy since the ghosts of the headlights are still there, but it looks pretty good so far.

I had long hesitated to do this modification for worry that I would ruin the model unnecessarily.

I will add new LEDs when I get another decoder for the engine.

As always, pictures will come soon.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - kamerad47 - 04-28-2014

I pass by the yard in passaic every week they were working on the U34 this saturday !!!!! Thumbsup

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 04-28-2014

kamerad47 Wrote:I pass by the yard in passaic every week they were working on the U34 this saturday !!!!! Thumbsup

Thats awesome! I just got my "Project U-boat" shirt today, I'm looking forward to seeing it soon!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - kamerad47 - 04-29-2014

If you get any info on when the will be moving it I would see if I could get some pics of it !!!! Thumbsup

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 05-13-2014

Well, I have some bad progress and then exciting news.

Lately, I've been feeling pretty overwelmed with my resin kits, so I've been rebuilding and rehabilitating "older" cars and locomotives I own, and its been a fairly successful program so far. Now, almost all of my Passenger cars are in top shape. In particular, I was upgrading and updating my 2003-era Silver Meteor consist. The only car that needs serious testing now is my Dorm-Lounge, but i think I've Ironed out the kinks in it.

The Rebuilding of Amtrak E60MA #610

The only thing left was the locomotive I intended to pull the train, E60MA #610. I built this one when I was 16, and I am still proud of it, since I managed to get most of the basic details right, especially around the headlight/number-board area. I also modified the frame and drive to make it extremely powerful. The locomotive can pull a prototypical Silver Meteor consist of up to 13 cars up a sustained 4% grade single handedly, BEFORE I ever put bullfrog snot on anything.

However, the paint and decals did not age well. The silver paint looked pretty worn, and the decals weren't holding up well. I decided I was going to redo the paint, similar to what I did on my NJT E60CH. Unfortunately, things haven't been working out. I ended up having to undo almost everything, and all the details I had placed so perfectly had to come off.

So far, i've been able to repaint the silver part of the body, and now the challenge will be re-applying the black paint around all the electrical details on the roof and the cab faces, which have detail parts I can't remove installed in them. I think the big hurdle will be the black paint. After that, I can reapply the details, and with any luck, #610 will look better than ever, and match my "24 year old" standards.

Prototype Info

E60MA #610 started life as E60CP #955, built in November 1975. One of the few E60s equipped with a steam generator, it stood in for GG1s on long-haul trains. It actually survived a collision which required its nose to be rebuilt. In 1987, it was rebuilt with HEP and other improvements, and reclassified E60MA, numbered 610. #610 was notable for being the last electric locomotive to haul the Broadway Limited when the train was discontinued. #610 was amongst the last to be retired in June 2004, with only #608 lasting until July of that year, with nearly 30 years of service.

Here is a Photo of #610 in 2011. Its been sitting like this since the year before, when the paint and decals began to become ragged.

[Image: P9210204.jpg]

More Silverliner IVs join the roster

Though I keep saying I model New Jersey, more Philadelphia modeling opportunities have presented themselves, in the form of a powered/dummy pair of Silverliner IV Single units, painted but not marked. These were part of a 2 car set offered many years ago by IHP. I'm pretty excited, since this train should, in theory, work right our of the box, and with an extra powered Silverliner IV, I can split my MUs up.

This is particularly exciting, since at my club, I was hoping to put these SEPTA MUs into "commuter service", along with my SEPTA push-pull sets and Reading Company MU cars. I now have 5 functional Silverliner IV singles. A married pair Silverliner IV is waiting on parts in the distant future, and eventually I'll have seven cars.

This means I can run at least 2 Silverliner IV trains with 2 cars or three cars, on top of my 3 car set of Silverliner IIIs, which can all run right now with a little bit of tune up. These new cars even have pantographs preinstalled.

Here is a picture of Reading 9018, which is very similar to the models I'll be getting. The new Silverliners will be given Penn Central/SEPTA markings, making it an even split (2 Reading, 2 Penn Central, 1 SEPTA Block logo)

The Prototype Silverliner IVs were purchased by the City of Philadephia and SEPTA to bump the MP54s and "Green car" Reading MUs from service. They began to arrive in early 1974, and the order was completed by late 1975, with cars being split between the Penn Central and Reading Company. SEPTA has kept all of them in service to date (except for one lost in a collision), and apart from some rebuilt to replace their PCB transformers and some other minor details, they remain largely the same. These cars are still the core of SEPTA's service, more numerous than the Silverliner Vs that bumped the older Silverliners from service 2 years ago.

[Image: IMG_0335.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - JaBear - 05-14-2014

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Eventually, my rivet-counting mind eventually finds problems that sucks the fun out of it,
Some times I wonder if we can be too hard on ourselves, I'm all for setting a high standard but if it "sucks the fun out of it" well I would have to ask is the standard set impossibly high?
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:If I was wise, I would have............
Don't worry, I certainly can suddenly become very clever after the event, and I suspect that others too suffer from the same complaint from time to time.
I enjoy "visiting" others layouts even if their interests are entirely different than mine, so thanks for sharing.
Have Fun!!!
Cheers, the Bear Smile

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 05-14-2014

JaBear Wrote:Some times I wonder if we can be too hard on ourselves, I'm all for setting a high standard but if it "sucks the fun out of it" well I would have to ask is the standard set impossibly high?

I guess, but then I feel I always need to keep a little bit of pressure to improve in the back of my mind. In this case though, I suppose I just didn't do the research on the model U25B first. I should have read up on the model. I'm still pretty happy with it functionally though, and it came with a decoder. The fact that it works and runs well has somewhat negated my displeasure with the body details.

JaBear Wrote:Don't worry, I certainly can suddenly become very clever after the event, and I suspect that others too suffer from the same complaint from time to time.
I enjoy "visiting" others layouts even if their interests are entirely different than mine, so thanks for sharing.
Have Fun!!!
Cheers, the Bear Smile

Yup, It seems I just need to be a little more patient. I just added in another layer of puddy and repainted it, and that fixed the problem. I guess thats the way we learn!

I also like to visit other people's layouts and learn how they do things. There aren't enough people around this area (New Jersey/Southeastern PA) outside of my club for me to visit though.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 05-14-2014

Other updates-

I actually forgot some other news.

Super deals on a Conrail E8

A new member of our model train club was just breaking into HO, an was looking for some good locomotives. As it turns out, there was an Ebay auction for two E8A locomotives, one a Conrail OCS E8 #4021, and the other the EMD Demonstrator E8. The bid was low, and so I suggested we go in on it together and split the locomotives and the cost.

The bid stayed low, and with shipping, the total was $70, and so we split it $35, and I got a second OCS E8! These usually ran in pairs, so I'm happy to have gotten the other half so cheaply!

4021 was ex Amtrak 499, exx PC/PRR 5711. #4020 was ex Amtrak 498, ex PC/PRR 5809.

[Image: P5142370.jpg]

[Image: P5142371.jpg]

Bowser U25B

Here is the U25B I've been on the edge about. Its long hood and hand rails are for the earliest models of U25B, while the cab and nose are for the late models. Infact, the body shell should be more similar to the style of the U28B below than this.

Still, its a functional locomotive, and it doesn't look to bad.

[Image: P5142364.jpg]

[Image: P5142373.jpg]

U28B Nose Modification

Here is the U28B. I might need to polish the nose a little better, but it looks fine when you don't look at it under a microscope!

I'll let you guys be the judge.

There are some more things I can do to this model though, mostly moving the horn to the correct location, and adding a few vents near the radiator section. That might be tricky, because i don't think anyone makes any GE style vents, but I'm sure I could figure something out. I wonder what would happen if I put a blob of casting silicone on the side of my U23B, perhaps I could clone the vent detail straight off the model?

[Image: P5142374.jpg]

[Image: P5142368.jpg]

The nose up Close-

[Image: P5142366.jpg]

"Before" photo.

[Image: U28Bandnewfreightcars7307017.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 05-14-2014

I have a DVD with a Conrail OCS using a single E8 MUed with an 8-40C.

Interestingly, my NYC current run Walthers U28/30B doesn't have a nose headlight. On the other hand, I really like the way you can control the number board lights, nose headlight, and upper light on the Walthers unit with a 6-function decoder. I think these are underrated models -- wish they'd do an SP (which had 4, I believe).

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 06-02-2014

jwb Wrote:I have a DVD with a Conrail OCS using a single E8 MUed with an 8-40C.

Interestingly, my NYC current run Walthers U28/30B doesn't have a nose headlight. On the other hand, I really like the way you can control the number board lights, nose headlight, and upper light on the Walthers unit with a 6-function decoder. I think these are underrated models -- wish they'd do an SP (which had 4, I believe).

I think the big issue I'm having with my U28B is that it goes VERY fast, I'm going to have to adjust the speed to slow it down a little.

In any event, I have some progress to add-

Jersey Arrow I

I just mailed off JWB's arrow, so it should be home in a week or so, with pantographs! In the mean time, I've begun painting my three. Following AntonioFP45's instructions, I made sure to really scrub down the models before I gave them a base coat, and I plan to scrub them again before I put on the final coats of Alclad Chrome. All three are in Alclad's Gloss-Black undercoat. If the paint works out well, I should be able to power these cars relatively easily.

One thing that sets these cars apart from my other Arrows and Silverliners, is that they were delivered with a light-gray underbody, instead of black like on my GE built cars. I suspect the Metroliner Underbody is the correct shade to use, especially considering that the Metroliner coaches and the Arrow I were both equipped by Westinghouse and share similar underbody styles (then again, the GE equipped Metroliner cafe and club cars also had a gray underbody).

I have no pictures yet, since I don't want to take them out and expose them to dust before I can paint them.

New Silverliner IV single Set

I'm pretty excited to have picked these up, since these have a "normal" drive in them. I also picked them up for a very good price, less than half of their MSRP. I put an NCE D13SRP into it, and it ran well right away, and so far has appeared fairly reliable. I look forward to using it at upcoming show seasons! If only i could get my other powered Silverliner IV, Reading 9018, to behave that nicely!

Unlike my other Silverliner IVs, which are "Reading Company" examples, these two are equipped with Penn Central style details. Unfortunately, I ran out of SEPTA/Penn Central logos, so I was only able to do one unit, but #270 should be pretty representative. I have not decided on the number of my other Silverliner IV, but I think I'll make it the "last" single Silverliner IV, #303.

[Image: P6022630.jpg]

[Image: P6022632.jpg]

Ex-EL SDP45, Conrail #6668

I found an SDP45 for a great price, so I had to jump on it. They don't always seem to appear under wire, as they were specifically purchased (technically leased from the N&W) by the EL for their range with their larger fuel tanks. Apparently, a standard SD45 would be running on fumes by the time it reached Chicago from New Jersey or vice versa. Reflecting the lack of passenger equipment, EMD began labelling EL's SDP45s and "SD45M"s, but few people refer to them that way.

Fortunately, big EMDs like these are a natural fit for my train club's mountainous layout, and I hope to make it reliable enough to be in the "engine pool", as opposed to assigned to a train.

I took a few pictures of EL #3636, before patching and renumbering it into its prototypical Conrail number, #6668. #6660 is also an ex-EL unit, an SD45-2, which also came with a special high-capacity fuel tank.

[Image: P5292496.jpg]

[Image: P5292483.jpg]

[Image: P5292484.jpg]

[Image: b2d9604a-04b3-4571-b427-f717377e9f0a.jpg]

[Image: P6022634.jpg]

Altogether-

[Image: P6022636.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 06-22-2014

A few more updates-

Arrow II Number Plate!

I managed to acquire the number plate from NJ Transit Arrow II #1256, formerly Penn Central #556. This is particularly exciting, since I also have the small lit number board for #1256. It appears that the long gone "NJ Transit Shoppe" originally sold the plate, but I got it through ebay. This would be the number plate found next to the center doors on the car. All of these cars were scrapped in the late 90s/early 2000s. They were renumbered after being rebuilt in 1983, and were soon pressed into service on the newly re-electrified Hoboken Division, which covered the ex DL&W electrified lines.

Arrow I kits

I have painted my three Arrow Is in the Alclad base coat. I have been very careful this time to keep them clean, and to clean them before each coat. Hopefully, I'll be able to paint them tomorrow with the first few coats of the Alclad Chrome. Once they are "chromed", they'll be ready for assembly and decals. These cars can readily accept the NWSL Stanton drive. These drives don't go quite fast enough, but I am considering using them anyway (or powering more of my Silverliner IIIs, which prototypically are limited to about the top speed of the Stanton Drive).

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 09-05-2014

Well, I think its been just over 2 months since I posted any progress...

Part of that was because I was job searching, and that constant anxiety more or less killed my will to model (another challenge on here missed....) Fortunately though, I have gotten a new job as a process tech at Rowan University. I was a bit nervous since its in their Chemical Engineering Department (I do biotechnology), but they are trying to set up a cell culture lab before spring, and so I am one of the few people there who knows what they need and how to do things, so it works out!

In any event, there hasn't been a lot in the way of new modeling going on. I am constructing city buildings for my train club. I also was able to acquire a few second hand models cheaply, including an addition E60CH by American GK, and a spare GP40FH-2 shell on top of the two I already had and the "clone" from a past challenge.

I also received an NJ Transit F7A with sound by Intermountain, and some extra NJ Transit coaches.

Now that I'm somewhat settled employment wise, I'm hoping that I can get back to modeling these things to some extent. The nice weather is almost gone, and soon painting will be an issue, particularly in regards to the Arrow Is I started painting earlier this summer.

Unfortunately, I can't think of much else to discuss. Its been a depressingly slow summer, and I really wanted to get more done than I did. All the time I was free I felt to much anxiety to do the models, or I had to devote my time to the other people in my life Thumbsup

I was really hoping I'd have at least my Arrow Is operating by show time this year, and now with my job I might be able to afford a set of Stanton drives for them, but If I don't get them at least painted up and assembled soon, that will be the end of that.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - e-paw - 09-07-2014

Its been a depressingly slow summer, and I really wanted to get more done than I did

The nice weather is almost gone, and soon painting will be an issue,

I hear ya and I'm in the same boat.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 09-23-2014

Well, I did finally get some stuff done today.

Jersey Arrow Is

I got these painted in Alclad Chrome. Some of the paint crazed near the end doors. I suspect this was moisture. I had rinsed the cars down to try and remove any dust particles that settled on them since the last coat of paint, and though I did everything I could to dry them, it looks like I missed some spots. However, these defects aren't large, and I might be able to fix it without repainting the whole car.

At least one came out alright, so if I can't fix the other two, I will make this one ready for the Model transit show on October 11. I'll probably need to borrow the drive from my Silverliner III until I can get a drive for these. Hopefully, I can get the other two done in time for my club's train shows.

CNJ NJDOT coaches, ex KCS

I also got a deal on a pair of CNJ-NJDOT coaches by rapido. Though these are technically a Canadian prototype, the appearance of these cars is close enough for most people. In reality, these cars spent most of their time on the Raritan Valley line running between Newark Penn Station and Phillipsburg, NJ. This would normally not make them desireable to model, as they would only have run on the Northeast Corridor for a few miles to Hunter Interlocking, almost exactly north of my planned "end point" at Waverly Yard.

However, I found a photo of a pair of these on the NY&LB, which would have taken them through the territory that I do model, so I figured why not?

They're pretty well detailed and have battery powered car lighting. One of the cars isn't doing so well, so I will have to contact Rapido.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - BR60103 - 09-23-2014

Ha! it's nice to see the Americans having to buy Canadian cars painted for their local road. For years we had to make do with American (or even British) stock pretemding to be Canadian.

Where's the Model Transit show?