Start of a kit-bash project - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Scratchbuilding and kitbashing - All Scales (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Start of a kit-bash project (/showthread.php?tid=2824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 12-04-2012

I plan to get some much needed rest tonight and then force myself to work on the On30 bash project in the morning for as long as possible(till I hit a stopping point like parts that I have to get(trucks and wheel sets))

Life has been kicking my rear lately every time I get chance to do some modeling something important pops up. 35 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

I think I can at least build some more On30 stock cars bodies from balsa I aim to make each slighty different in constuction for added interest. Also may make up some more flats with end rails, however there is a lot of rain today do probably will not paint up any more loco boilers as I have no paint booth(yet?).

Other irons in the fire are some scratch built S gauge cars needing some final details and I will attempt to build an operating dump car like that that was in CTT a couple issues ago.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 12-05-2012

Hi all,

some progress to report and a pic as well.

I now have 2 flats with real wood decks 3 more yet to build and front and center is my M.O.W. wheel car will have to order some extra wheel sets with trucks that I need to complete the cars anyway.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 12-18-2012

HI all,

with colder weather setting in soon will have some free time away from out door projects and around the house.

After the holidays will be back in scratch building and kit bashing mode.

Happy Holidays all.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 01-09-2013

Well, still waiting for hobby budget to allow the purchase of much needed trucks and wheel sets in On30 and S. Would have ordered some already but spent too much on 9 books 2 videos and paid some bills. The books and the bills I can justify but did not need to get the DVDs just yet. Most of the books are machinists how to books and one on modeling with brass and one on building model steam engines.

Will be starting another thread soon on building 40' box cars in S from the parts of an old kit by locomotive works, it will be in the kit-bashed because I will have to build an underside modification so trucks can be mounted properly. I will continue with the On30 kit-bashing as well and then I will try to get the S gauge flat scratch build going again. Once that is all settled and completed I will make another attempt to carve a caboose out of Bass wood hopefully one in O and one in S.

Sorry for the long interruption in progress as time and money can be a constraint Nope but I promise will not abandon the projects.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 01-14-2013

A tiny bit of progress bilt these up while Glue was drying on another project.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 01-14-2013

Not sure whayt kind of load to put on these flats? May be tools small crates loggong or mining supplies?

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 02-13-2013

Well, this project has sat idel far too long, may work on it along with another project this week end.

Status of these kitbashes are as follows:

1. Box cars completed(On30) Qty. 5
2. Stock car in progress Qty. 5
3. Flats in progress Qty. 5
4. Tenders in progress Qty. 5
5. Wheel car in progress Qty. 1
6. Cabooses developing concept stage Qty. 5
7. Locomotives developing concept stage Qty. 5

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 02-23-2013

Wow 4 months and it will have been 3 years from the start of this project 35

I have not forgot but have come to a stopping point where funds were used to work on other projects. By spring may have the needed parts to complete this Project(paint, trucks, and couplers)

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 04-02-2013

Still needing to get trucks and wheel sets and of course paint. As with the other projects I work until I run out of parts and get the parts as I am able to do so, which means I hop from project to project until one is completed. Stay tuned as progress will be updated as ofren as possible.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - Tyson Rayles - 04-03-2013

If you put higher ends on the flatcars they would make excellent pulpwood cars.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 04-03-2013

Tyson Rayles Wrote:If you put higher ends on the flatcars they would make excellent pulpwood cars.

That is a good idea Thumbsup

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 05-26-2013

This project has been put on the back burner for awhile but not forgotten. Will try to update as often as possible.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 08-20-2013

Well,

still on the back burner but not forgotten. With the purchase of a 3D printer the kitbashing has a few new directions and some new ideas of how to make the loco boilers and cabs into some useful items Big Grin the cabooses may be a lost cause in the S or O scales may be as HO or as a background/forced prospective items.

I am still short on some trucks wheels and couplers, spent my money on tires for the truck, but as soon as I can get some more PLA plastic filiment all the projects from this kitbashing to the Ruby Belle tow boat will start up again between working a new job and other pressing matters. I hope to have completed a project or two by spring 2014 Icon_lol

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - nachoman - 08-20-2013

HA! You may have more uncompleted projects on your workbench than anyone here! BTW, uncompleted projects are a sign of a *true* model railroader!! Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol I think I have entered the same project into one of the challenge contests three times, and it's still not done!

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 08-21-2013

nachoman Wrote:HA! You may have more uncompleted projects on your workbench than anyone here! BTW, uncompleted projects are a sign of a *true* model railroader!! Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol I think I have entered the same project into one of the challenge contests three times, and it's still not done!

And that is just the model railroading stuff Icon_lol I have some Computer/electronics stuff needing some attention as well 24

And layouts are never truely completed Icon_lol