Start of a kit-bash project - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Scratchbuilding and kitbashing - All Scales (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Start of a kit-bash project (/showthread.php?tid=2824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 07-09-2012

AF350 Wrote:Here is the latest progress pic of the stock car.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Remember this car? By this time Tuesday it will be painted "pine needle green" then maybe some sort of lettering and numbers. I found some craft acrylic paint in a nice dark flat green. Going to have to make a trip to a hobby shop and get some dull coat to takr away the plasitc shine of the original stock cars. Also need to tackle building up some kadee couplers for this project 35 Icon_lol 35

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 07-10-2012

Well here is the car in process of painting so far.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 07-11-2012

Here is the latest progress report show and tell, the dark green stock car is now lettered for Bill Gruff's Goat Farm # 6 1-5 not built yet. Icon_lol

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - Steamtrains - 07-15-2012

Gotta love those little critters..!! Good job..!! Thumbsup

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 07-16-2012

Steamtrains Wrote:Gotta love those little critters..!! Good job..!! Thumbsup

Thanks, but far from done with these trains------still have to convert the locos(saved the hardest for last) and tenders oh and the cabooses then will pick back up on some other projects needing to be completed. Will have about 25 pieces of rolling stock from this simple 5 sets of blatent "plastic plate" toy trains Icon_lol Fun stuff. I guess i will have to put down some On30 track so they can ride the rails Icon_lol

Most likely the 3 S gauge cars will get attention next as they have been lettered and now need the loads completed. But that is a whole nother thread.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 08-12-2012

Hi all,

Will soon be back working on this and other projects as soon as I complete a couple other things of higher priority.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 09-02-2012

Alright, completed the high priority project(article for a model train publication if it gets accepted will let you know which magazine it is in.)

The other project that has been on my plate is an electronic circuit but giving my brain a rest from that task. So it is back to the On30 long running project 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

The On30 conversion will continue with the stock cars both original and the scratch built ones using castings of the original roofs. Then the next will be the cabooses(cabeese?).
Putting off the locomotives for last. Will have progress soon same kitbash thread same kitbash forum.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 09-05-2012

Some minor progress on the On30 project(cleaned up mess on bench and looked at On30 stuff) examined the loco shells and found that maybe the cabs could be sawed off the boiler and that maybe an 0-6-0 HO chassis could be fitted to the boiler unless there are some On30 chassis out there. Even the cabs maybe used just not on the original boiler. Icon_lol Still have to complete the stock cars and the tenders just need new floor/chassis and a paint job. Old floors from tenders will become some shorty flatcars.

Pics and update coming soon.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 09-12-2012

Well Folks,

have not had a chance to do anything major yet, had to take care of front and back yards at 3 homes with a push mower Eek was too tired to do much else yesterday, have to go out of town briefly in the morning but have plans on working on the On30 Project afternoon and evening.

May have some sort of pics of ptoject by Thursday evening.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 09-13-2012

Well, have rested up a bit from my short out of town trip( took parents to a pork chop lunch) any way here is a sneak peek of the On30 loco bash(or in this case hack as in saw).

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 09-13-2012

The pics in the previous post show the loco's as they came, cab removed from boiler, and boiler striped of all detail parts that are easily removable and painted with gray primer.

My intent is to build a new more detailed cab from scratch and maybe add a spark arrestor on the stack. Still thinking about what to do about a chassis (powered or static display).

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 09-15-2012

Well here are some progress pics showing the basic Idea of the On30 loco bash.

Cow catcher and boiler front will get a coat of flat red to get rid of the shine, I will be checking the show(s) for junker HO 0-6-0, 2-6-0, 2-6-2 as doners for wheels and drive systems, The cab I hope to super detail the inside just for fun as if scratchbuilding the new cab is not fun enough. Icon_lol

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 09-16-2012

Did a little work on the tenders this afternoon as shown in the pics. I started by sawing off the molded in steps, then found some balsa to fill in the gap on one end and I am in the process of removing goofy looking molded in details to be replaced with detail parts oh and even drilled out the tender light fixture to maybe hold a grain o wheat bulb or a very small Led.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - BR60103 - 09-16-2012

I think I had a pair of those -- are they Dickensville? or there's some other name that I can't remember. Battery power in the tender? 1" gauge?

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 09-16-2012

BR60103 Wrote:I think I had a pair of those -- are they Dickensville? or there's some other name that I can't remember. Battery power in the tender? 1" gauge?

These train sets were a cheap novelty / toy and did not match up to any conventional scale or gauge. The wheel flanges were taller then most hirail O wheels the track was plastic. Not sure of the manufacture. These were close to On30 in overall proportion.
Most of the details were not consistant with the size of rolling stock that is why I am bashing them into some what better looking models. The power was in the loco 2 C cells I think. Will have to see if I can round up a photo of the set(s) before kitbashing. The story behind the trains is that I got them from a discount/closeout store called Schottenstein's they also were the owners of value city stores. Anyway before they closed the store for good they had a clearance sale which included misc. junk which is where I found the box that contined four incomplete and or defective sets, I got them home found that all the locos worked fine and that some of the track was missing as well as a car or two. The set had a cardboard scene divider one side was a town the other side was a jungle. The stock cars came with some lions may have been a circus train set originaly. Not a bad haul for a couple bucks.

For a lack of better term for this type of train I call them plastic plate Icon_lol