Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-25-2009

Thank you Gus Thumbsup Thumbsup

I am working on the trestle supports and I hope to have some pics this weekend Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-25-2009

Trestle supports/bin walls:

[Image: FPeZWU.jpg]

[Image: p6nav4.jpg]

[Image: pFw72o.jpg]

On two of the bin walls I left the planks off of one side. The prototype pics show a few like that and it looks cool to see some of the timbers for the trestle bents.
None of these walls/supports are glued on yet...still need to do a little sanding and then weathering. Hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 04-25-2009

I like it...I like it..!!! That's some great carpentry work..!! Wanna see s'more... Thumbsup

Question...After dumping the coal off the trestle, is it transfered to the house, or how is it dispensed to the customers..??

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-26-2009

Gus...thank you Thumbsup

To answer your question, the vast majority would be loaded into trucks using a conveyor something like these:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3520

For work, I used to have to go occaisionally to a coal yard to pick up coal for our small forge. Our shop, besides doing structural steel, would also make wrought iron railings that would require the forging of some decorative scroll work and such (I used to love doing it in the summer on especially hot days!). Anyway, we would pick the coal up in 80 LB bags.....so I guess that they might also have some in smaller quantities like sacks for special jobs like forging and what not. I am by no means an expert, so if somebody has better info, I would be glad to hear it. Hope that helps Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 04-26-2009

Steve's explanation is usually how it worked in yards where the coal was dumped to the ground for storage - this was probably far more common that the enclosed bunkers which I have modelled. Most people nowadays don't realise how much manual labour was involved in many industries. While there was a considerable amount of mechanisation available, especially into the '50s, much of the work was done by "shovel technicians", including loading or unloading of trucks and freight cars.
The first house that I lived in, as a child, had a coal-fired furnace. While it was a rental, with other tenants on the two upper floors, my Dad was in charge of tending the furnace. The absentee landlord usually bought a minimal amount of coal, which was delivered in bags - even though the chute was at the front of the house, and only about 10' from the street, it was easier for the delivery guy to haul the 100 lb. bags from the truck to the chute than it was to set up the chute from the truck. I think that we generally got only two or three bags at a time. I guess that the landlord didn't want to buy too much at a time, just in case the price came down. Misngth

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - eightyeightfan1 - 04-26-2009

Sweet looking coal dealer.
All I ever see modeled though is the trestle type of coal delivery.
Here's a couple of pics from a local coal dealer that didn't have a trestle, but a siding with four pits in the ground.
There's even still coal in one of the pits.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 04-26-2009

Steve/Doc/88...Thanks for the info....I'm looking to install a pit storage like the one shown by 88...How would the coal be moved out of the pit? I would presume that a conveyor pretty much like the one in your link..No..?? Any additional info would be appreciated... Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-01-2009

Weathered bins:

[Image: m5xgMJ.jpg]

[Image: eO3rbQ.jpg]

The weathering was done by brushing on a strong ink wash, followed by chalk.

The next task is to get started on the roof supports.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Trucklover - 05-01-2009

WOW Steve, those weathered bins look excellent!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 05-02-2009

WoW...Those supports look fantastic..!! I like how you can see the heads of the boards, and some are of uneven thicknesses...just what you'd expect from an older structure like that...A#1... Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-02-2009

Thank you Josh and Gus.....I appreciate the kind remarks Thumbsup

Another small update...I made the posts for the trestle roof. I just stuck them in the holes in the deck to see what they would look like:

[Image: DtNwA5.jpg]

[Image: orvYpS.jpg]

I am going to try and see if I can get some of the framing done tomorrow............many chores to do however  Icon_e_sad

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-03-2009

I connected all the posts together with the front roof beam on top and a simple wood safety rail on the lower portion of the posts. I then took a piece of sheet wood and layed it on top to see how it will look with the roof in place.

[Image: Oki1X2.jpg]

[Image: kVDX4a.jpg]

Getting all the posts perfectly squared up and in line with the deck holes took a lot more time than I thought it would (what else is new). I still have the rafters to cut and place before I can actually put a roof on it. I'll just keep pluggin' away Thumbsup

Take care

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 05-04-2009

Beauty in simplicity! That's one thing I like about following construction threads - you get to see how something goes together bit by bit. Looking at the result of fine craftsmanship is often overwhelming with detail and features that keep your eye moving. Seeing it come together piece by piece is nice (even if a bit repetitive for you!).

Great work! Thumbsup

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Bigsteel - 05-04-2009

Worship wow steve,VERY impressive Thumbsup .what kind of roof are you gonna use? the only way this build could get any more difficult is if you used hand applied cedar shakes Eek Wallbang Misngth .--josh

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-07-2009

Thanks Galen.......much appreciated!
Josh.....I actually thought about using a commercial shingle or shake product, but It would take quite a bit of $$$$ for these roofs. I am going to try and make something myself, either shingles or the old stand-by....tar paper.