Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - LiveSteamer - 05-07-2009

Looks Great Steve. Sure is coming along nicely if I must say so myself. Cheers

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 05-08-2009

If you can locate a pair of pinking shears, you could cut your own interlocking-style shingles (they're diamond-shaped when applied on a roof), using almost any kind of paper. #800 grit, or finer, wet-dry sandpaper would work, too. Wink
Another alternative that wouldn't be too expensive is Campbell's shingle rolls - if you're working on a wood or cardstock sub-roof, you can use the adhesive backing (wet and stick in place) or, if working on styrene, contact cement works well.
These are all applied over styrene, although none were shot to specifically show the roof:
[album]1022[/album]

[album]1021[/album]

[album]1020[/album]

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-08-2009

Thanks Matthew!
Wayne....food for thought!...Thank You! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-10-2009

While mulling over roof choices.....
The trestle is now glued to the back wall and I have gotten started on the rafters. The center sections shows the eventual spacing:

[Image: 5GqfPY.jpg]

Here with the track installed. I first painted the track black and then brushed brown over the rails and ties. I tried to let some black show through:

[Image: YCQ7Rh.jpg]

[Image: R2ravM.jpg]

I hope everyone had a great weekend! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 05-10-2009

Steve...That is looking super-sharp....!!!!! Is the track already fixed in place..?? I presume all the rafters (as well as the rest of the framing) are pre-painted..??

Keep it coming..!! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Bigsteel - 05-11-2009

cant...talk...jaw...hitting...floor....VERY nicely done steve Thumbsup --josh

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-12-2009

Gus... Thank you  Thumbsup The track fits very snugly but it is removable. All of the roof frame pieces were pre-painted.
Josh...you are way too kind! Thumbsup

I finished gluing on the rafters:

[Image: n9ip2z.jpg]

[Image: o0GQOX.jpg]

[Image: 2kMLR4.jpg]

Now I really need to make a decision about the roof material :? .........

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 05-13-2009

:jawdrop: ...Nuff said......

It'll be a shame to cover up all that framing with a roof..... Nope
Make it removable so you can show off all that handy work..... 2285_

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Trucklover - 05-13-2009

Eek Dang Steve, that looks awesome!!! I agree with Gus, it will be a shame to cover up that beautiful work with the roof Icon_lol

Looking forward to seeing more Cheers

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 05-13-2009

Lookin' good, Steve, but I'd cast my vote for a permanent roof. Removeable roofs, especially in wood, tend to warp easily over time, unless, of course, you can really secure them in place, perhaps with locking pins.

I built the roof on Creechan's Fine Fuels coal shed to be removeable, as it's framed with scratchbuilt trusses. Since it's constructed from strip styrene, there's no warping, and the roof "snaps" in place to keep it from shifting. However, in all the time since I built it, I think that I've taken the roof off only once.
[album]998[/album]

[album]977[/album]

Removeable may be a good idea for contest models, but for something that's built primarily for use on your layout, probably not worth the extra effort.

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-14-2009

I am Hoping that when I take pics from certain angles (like my last pic and also in shots like Waynes second pic), the rafters will be at least partially visible.

I haven't had a chance to work on the coalhouse the last couple of days.....but I did determine that I have enough Campbell's corrugated roof panels on hand to do the trestle roof if I so choose. Before I make that decision though, I have to experiment with other materials and see what I like best. Perhaps I'll take some pics of the different options on a small section of the roof and see what you guys think. I don't see me going with a commercial shingle product however because of the expense of doing this much roof. :cry:

Wayne...Any more pics of "Creechan's Fine Fuels"?

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 05-14-2009

There's a few more HERE, Steve, but no really new ones.
It was built partially to disguise the height of the grade separation through Dunnville, and, because of that height, has room beneath the delivery track for elevated storage of the coal. This allows trucks and wagons to be gravity-loaded. I don't know how realistic it is, though, as I pretty-well made it up as I built it. :oops: Misngth

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - eightyeightfan1 - 05-15-2009

That looks excellent!
The idea of "exposed" roof joists is a good one. Here's an open bay shed I scratchbuilt for my farm scene, where I added wall studs and roof joists.

Here's an idea for for a roof covering.
Strips of masking tape spray painted flat black. Simulates rolled tar paper pretty good.
I've used that technique on my Ore Hill Station. After applying the tape, I brush painted "Engine Black" along the seams to make it look like tar had been applied to seal the seams. Small strips, cut at different lengths, made to look like repairs to a leaky roof had been made.

As far as the shingles, if desired, I used Campbell "Self Stick" cedar shingles. These come in a roll and are very economical when covering a roof. One roll did all the roofs you see here and the shed in the first pic.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-16-2009

Wayne, I am glad that I asked for more pics....if I didn't, I would have missed that excellent thread! Thumbsup  I need to "get out" more :oops:  Wink

88...Nice work! Thumbsup  Thumbsup I have used sandpaper for rolled roofing but not painted masking tape. It looks like it works very nicely. Wink Ore Hill station is a keeper!!

I have pretty much committed myself to making the roofing material. One of the options that I had envisioned early on for this build was wood shingles. I love the way they look on both real and modeled buildings. I never thought about making them however. It just seems like a ton of work  Icon_lol ........I would do it though if the final product was worth the effort. With that in mind, I wanted to see what a shake roof would look like on this structure, so I scaled down an appropriate picture, made multiple copies and laid them loosely on the sub-roof of the trestle:

The sub-roof is 1/64" cardboard. I painted both sides of it to minimize warping. In this first pic you can see the edges of the paper roof. Since this is just a test, I didn't worry about hiding the seams between roof sheets:
[Image: UjsXbZ.jpg]

[Image: PBvEsf.jpg] 

[Image: t9RBLi.jpg]

Pretty nice detail in the roof pic I copied:
[Image: 1GmoI2.jpg]

Well...It looks like a shake roof would look pretty good Thumbsup . Like I said before, I never thought about attempting to make a wooden shingle roof, so I will need to research methods to actually make one. I do know that you can just cut out individual shingles and glue them on one at a time..... Eek ........ouch!  I'll find an easier way .........or I'll do a different roof type! Goldth

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 05-16-2009

I dunno, Steve - that printed paper looks pretty darn convincing. Thumbsup Thumbsup If you could "flip" every other sheet before printing, the colour variations would be graduated equally on both sides of the joints, then it would be a simple matter to install a lightning rod at the peak anywhere there was a seam. That would explain away the discolouration of the shingles and also help to disguise the joints in the paper. Of course, you'll probably opt for the "shingle-by-shingle" method. Wink Misngth Misngth

Wayne