Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-16-2009

Gus... I am sorry but I have not gotten around to up-loading the shingle jig pictures yet Nope ........but I promise to do it as soon as I have a chance.

I did manage to make the main sign for the coal house:

[Image: GuReZF.jpg]

[Image: YWc5Yc.jpg]

[Image: vpID75.jpg]

[Image: HpRskz.jpg]

There are three people whom I consider to be my model railroading mentors. Three people who have inspired me, taught me, and just plain have made model railroading challenging (and more importantly) FUN for me. Kurt is one, Deano another. The third person is also a member here.
I hope that in some small way, naming the coal co after you will serve to express my thanks for all you have taught me.
Thank you Galen.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 07-17-2009

Cheers ....All it needs now is a string of hoppers to work that depot... Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-17-2009

Gus, my friend, here is:

Kurt's shingle method....
(As sent to me and printed here with his approval)  Big Grin Thumbsup

"I made a jig from .060" styrene. The cuts have to be wide enough to allow your knife to get in without getting stuck. The adhesive tape is needed to fix the strips of sanding paper. 
[Image: SRd3ET.jpg]

I cut 10 mm strips of sanding paper and fixed one strip to the jig. I found out that it is possible to cut two strips at a time, so I put a second strip under the one that I had fixed with the adhesive tape. 
[Image: 4GgCpM.jpg]

Cutting goes a bit slow in the beginning, but with a little practice you can cut a lot of shingles in no time. 
[Image: 40HLJ6.jpg]

[Image: zefC3g.jpg]

When I glued the strips on, I only applied glue to the part of the strips where they were not cut."

That is how Kurt did his, and the method I copied. 

Being the lazy slob that I am, I modified the jig to speed up the process a little. I added styrene stops to both sides of the jig (one, a stop for the sand paper, and the other, a stop for the knife blade). These firmed up the jig and allowed me to cut 4 strips at a time.......told you I was lazy! Goldth 
[Image: KLJloG.jpg]

I hope that answers any questions about the shingle making process Thumbsup 
By the way, Kurt and I plan to sell these for only $19.95 Eek  357  Goldth
And don't forget.....I still have some "omni-directional pressure clamps" on sale for only $9.95 a pair!
[Image: Uh5TOT.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 07-20-2009

I just don't know where to start... Confusedhock: :o Smile Big Grin

Wow! Thank you, I am honored and truly touched.

Not sure if you planned it that way, but C.E. Gallimore, the man who is responsible for my love of trains today, was born in 1914.

You are most certainly welcome, and I just want to say that you deserve every model railroad challenge that comes your way! Wink

Galen Rowof6

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-20-2009

Galen...I don't know why I picked 1914, It just seemed like a good year (apparently it was a GREAT year).

I don't believe I ever would have gotten serious about mrring, had you not jumped in there and shared your time, knowledge, and enthusiasm with a guy who only knew he didn't know anything. Thank you

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - RobertInOntario - 07-22-2009

I just bought a helpful British book called Building Micro Layouts by Paul Lunn. You can buy it from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://titfield.co.uk/">http://titfield.co.uk/</a><!-- m --> or the UK Amazon site. It has all sorts of suggestions for making a small (or narrow) layout look deeper and for maximizing use of the space on the layout. Just FYI. Rob

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-24-2009

Thank you Rob  Thumbsup  that book sounds like just what I need.......I will check it out.

I cut the shelf and added the drop down portion for the coalhouse install. I will be doing some more cutting to get the ground to slope down a bit towards the coal bins....but it is nice to finally see it off the table and in place:

[Image: MEwqMn.jpg]

[Image: eV8akF.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - UP SD40-2 - 07-24-2009

Ingenious idea Steve! :mrgreen: , i cant wait to see it come together! Wink

Outstanding Job on the Coalhouse too, cripes, scratch building, weathering, scenery, is there ANYTHING you cant do Worship .... :mrgreen:

Great job my friend Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 07-24-2009

I believe he has not been seen flying....Not yet, anyway....
But there are rumors he's got a big "S" tatooed across his chest..... 357

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-25-2009

Deano and Gus....there are many things I can't do (just ask my wife!) Goldth

Thank you both for the kind words and all of your help through the years....you both, are two of the guys that make this hobby fun for me, and fun for many others. Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup

With the coal house nearing completion, I wanted to make the final cuts to the shelf so I can permanently lay the track and wire it. That will also allow me to carve elevation changes in the foam, add sculptamold and get things ready for ground cover and ballast (I hate ballasting!  Wink ).

It was also the right time to finally add the fascia. I used wood molding. This helped to make the shelf look like more a part of the room and less like it didn't belong there..........I hope:

[Image: im259j.jpg]

[Image: yGTffD.jpg]

[Image: bQ5c66.jpg]

Pay no attention to my messy air hockey table.........err I mean "work bench" Goldth
[Image: nzUA61.jpg]

In this last pic, you can see that I cut the shelf away from the fascia. This gap between the higher, level shelf and the sloping molding will eventually be filled  with sculptamold for a much smoother transition down towards the coal house:

[Image: rCmGVs.jpg]

Have a great weekend everybody!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 07-26-2009

Quote:I hate ballasting!

Yer not alone, there. But it makes it look so nice! Especially if you've spent a few minutes distressing a few ties, painting rail, etc.

Great job on the fascia...neat idea using the molding. Maybe I didn't read close enough, but will you stain it?

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - TrainNut - 08-01-2009

Steve Wrote:Deano and Gus....there are many things I can't do (just ask my wife!) Goldth
I wouldn't touch that one with a 10' pole!!!! 357
It's really cool to see some perspective of the layout as you now have two of those buildings in place. Taking shape and looking good!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - viperman - 08-05-2009

Steve, I like the idea for the moldings as the facia. I should probably figure something out for mine one of these days

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 08-14-2009

Galen....I haven't decided about staining or painting the molding yet....it will one or the other.
TN....ouch!!!!! Goldth ...........thank you buddy!
Steven...hang in there, you will get to it....right now you have more important things taking your time Wink  Thumbsup

I made the retaining walls for the coal house, so I could get started on the land formations around it:

[Image: klrtC8.jpg]

[Image: Z5BdUa.jpg]

I think the brick is a nice change from all the wood everywhere.

Sculptamold in place.....sorry about pic quality :oops:

[Image: y3J3PG.jpg]

The slope down will be grass/weeds/dirt......no rocks...........well maybe one or two Thumbsup
Hopefully I will get more done this weekend.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 08-14-2009

WoW..!! A little sculptamold and that coal dealer really stands out..!! Can't wait to see what it'll look like when you're through scenicking that area..!!! Thumbsup