Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 12-14-2009

Steve...'Twas a long time comin', but well worth the wait... Thumbsup
That track & ballast look good, and the headblocks really stand out...What make of turnouts are you using..??
Keep an eye on that jalopy so's it doesn't make a trip where it ain't supposed to go...

Here's to your next, more timely post.... Cheers

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Tom - 12-14-2009

Lookin' great! Details West makes some really nice non functioning high stand switch stands that are reasonably priced if you ever decide to switch those out and go with knob actuators in the fascia or something like that mounted from underneath.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - steinjr - 12-15-2009

Wow - looks great!

Those head blocks and ground throws looks very nice. What is the color coding on them ? First I thought maybe green for straight route, and red for deviating route, but they both seems to be lined for straight ahead, with one showing green end up and one showing red end up ?

Smile,
Stein

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - LynnB - 12-15-2009

The road came out looking great. Your going to like the look of real dirt, I prefer base ball diamond dirt sifted through one of my wifes panty hoses. Icon_lol As well don't forget to borrow her blender for grinding up some twigs leaves and other stuff.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 12-15-2009

Wow! I always enjoy running across threads like this which I haven't seen before.

Steve, excellent work all around! The coal dealer, the river, benchwork, and I like the fascia too. Keep up the good work!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 12-15-2009

A good update, Steve! Like the look of the road & the balast. Yes, it's a tedious, hateful, thankless job, but somebody's got to do it! And if there's anything that elevates a railroad from toy-like to model, it's painted track and well-done balast. Great job on both!

Nice assortment of rolling stock, btw.

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 12-15-2009

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words Thumbsup

Gus...I am using Atlas code 83 Custom-line T.O.'s. Here is the thread that got me to "pretty up" the ugly turnouts:
http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163008

Tom...I will check out those switch stands..thank you again! Thumbsup

Stein...you are very observant! They were painted for my old layout and I have not gotten a chance to re-paint them :oops: . The top one is wrong (but most of them luckily, are correct) Thumbsup

Lynn...I found some pretty fine dirt that washed down on to a side walk after a rain storm. I waited a few weeks for it to thoroughly dry and went with my shovel and got a load. I have also used my wife's stockings to sift it.............don't tell her Wink
I bought a cheapie food processer for chopping leaves and such. Great minds................... Big Grin Thumbsup

Gary.....The reason you didn't see this thread before, is because it was buried underneath of the threads of people who actually work on their layouts once in a while :oops: Goldth

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 12-15-2009

Thank you Galen Thumbsup

Quote:Nice assortment of rolling stock, btw.

The box car that is partially blocking the stock car is metal and was given to me by Gus (Steamtrains).....I love that unique car!!!!!!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Puddlejumper - 12-16-2009

Another outstanding thread that I have somehow been missing out on. I absolutely love that coal dealer, I think it will be great inspiration for a similar structure on my upcoming layout. Between this thread and the JGL engine facility thread I have really missed some great modeling, I look forward to your next update!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - tetters - 12-16-2009

w00t w00t!!! Steve is back in action! Waveof7

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - steinjr - 12-17-2009

Steve Wrote:Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words Thumbsup

Stein...you are very observant! They were painted for my old layout and I have not gotten a chance to re-paint them :oops: . The top one is wrong (but most of them luckily, are correct) Thumbsup

Ooops - was not in any way intended as criticism - I was just curious. Your layout looks really wonderful !

Steve Wrote:I have also used my wife's stockings to sift it.............don't tell her Wink
I bought a cheapie food processer for chopping leaves and such. Great minds................... Big Grin Thumbsup

Hmmm - I wonder if my wife needs a new blender for Christmas, making the old one "surplus" .... Big Grin

Grin,
Stein

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 12-17-2009

Stein....Wives ALWAYS need a new version of something they already have... Goldth

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 12-17-2009

Dave...Thank you very much!......I am happy with the way the coalhouse has come out so far. I am going to try and finish it off by adding.......I don't know.....maybe some COAL there!!.........LOL Goldth

Quote:Steve is back in action!
Tetters....I must become more like you and STAY in action! I see that your awesome layout is progressing nicely! Great work!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Quote:Ooops - was not in any way intended as criticism - I was just curious.
Stein...I never took it as a criticism Thumbsup Wink

Quote:Wives ALWAYS need a new version of something they already have...
Gus...does that include husbands? Eek

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 12-17-2009

Hhmmmm....that depends on the husband.... 357

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 12-18-2009

I was afraid of that  Icon_e_sad