Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 12-18-2009

Well guys, I was sick as a dog today, but I have promised myself to do at least a little something on the layout each day. So here it is:

I got started on the coal piles for the bins of the coal house. Being that the bins are wood, I didn't want to lay piles of coal in them and soak 'em with wet-water and diluted glue.....I was also talked out of leaving the coal loose (for vacuuming purposes). So I went with plan C.

I carved bluefoam into rough pile shapes (sized to fit the bins), panted them black, and while still wet, rolled them in scale coal:

[Image: oNlDku.jpg]

I used WS coal, which comes in 2 sizes, "mine run" (small) and "lump" (large). I wanted at least 3 sizes ,so I sifted the lump coal and made a medium size.

Left to right: small, medium, and large
[Image: aUlML0.jpg]

After installing them, I will sprinkle (and glue) more coal around the edges to blend them in.

I guess in the long run, I saved quite a bit of coal doing it this way. It was also quick and easy (which is the way I like to do business) Thumbsup
That sounds better than saying "I'm lazy!" Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 12-18-2009

Those came out great. Hope you get over your illness quickly.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 12-18-2009

Thank you Gary Thumbsup ....and thank you for the well wishes. It is just a bad cold, not the swine flu or anything...........although I have been called a swine a time or two! Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 12-18-2009

So you're to blame.....for my cold..... :evil:
Can barely breathe or see the screen...never mind attempting to do anything train-wise...

See how it goes tomorrow.....

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Jesso - 12-18-2009

Wow! those turned out great! Can't wait to see them in place.

It is better to call it swine flu. My daughter saw h1n1 and asked what is the hini (pronounced "hi-knee") virus was and what does it do to your butt.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - cnw1961 - 12-19-2009

Not bad for a bad cold Wink . Can’t wait to see the coalhouse scene being finished.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 12-19-2009

Quote:So you're to blame.....for my cold.....
Gus...if you caught my cold all the way in Texas.....they better quarantine me quick!!! Goldth

Quote:It is better to call it swine flu. My daughter saw h1n1 and asked what is the hini (pronounced "hi-knee") virus was and what does it do to your butt.
Scott....I'm starting to think that H1N1 is really just a "hi-knee" virus as well! Wink

Quote:Can’t wait to see the coalhouse scene being finished.
You and me both brother! Wink Goldth

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 12-19-2009

Steve,

You make such nice looking piles! Icon_lol

Sorry, after the Hi-knee jokes I couldn't resist.

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - LynnB - 12-19-2009

Steve the coal piles came out perfect, you must have done quite a bit of experimenting to get it right.

Galen...People travel miles to see my piles Eek  Goldth

Lynn.....Thank you Thumbsup  Thumbsup  
Cutting the foam to fit the bin width was the most important part...the rest was just making different heights for interest. Thumbsup

Here is a shot before gluing the loose stuff I sparingly added to blend the pre-fab piles in to the bins and ground:

[Image: GAtHiO.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Puddlejumper - 12-19-2009

Thumbsup Very nice!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 12-19-2009

Awesome! The entire structure with coal piles is amazing. Very realistic, great job.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Jesso - 12-19-2009

Wow! That looks incredible. Great Job! I have loved all the work you have done on that building. Thumbsup

Dave, Gary, and Scott......Thank you for the very kind words! Thumbsup
With the coal arriving at the coalhouse, this structure (and scene) is finally nearing completion. Still a bit left to do, but the end is in sight! Wink

I have decided to make the ground under, and in front of, the bins look like worn cement.
Here is the first phase (still alot of weathering to do and dirt, weeds, etc to add)  

[Image: 0YxR6z.jpg]

[Image: 6cPTh5.jpg]

Man I need a new truck....or 2 ............LOL!!!!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Trucklover - 12-19-2009

Steve, those coal piles look great!! And the coal bunker is coming along very nicely. I think the warn concrete floor already looks realistic, and I really like the tire mark to the left at the last bunker in the second picture. Cant wait to see what else you do with the scene Misngth