Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 12-20-2009

Steve, you placed the piles perfectly!

When the coal falls from the hoppers it can create alot of dust, even when treated to be 'dustless'. I'd guess the interior wall of the loading track would get pretty well blackened over time. Since it's under roof the dust wouldn't have much chance to be washed away. I like how you weathered/treated the pilings/supports for the trestle. Are you planning on weathering the back wall or leaving it as is?

The concrete looks great.

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 12-20-2009

Josh...thank you good buddy! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Galen...Thank you! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Quote:Are you planning on weathering the back wall or leaving it as is?

Good question.....In person the green of the coalhouse is a little more subdued and dark. It looks a bit more beat up that is does in the pics. But adding coal dust to the back wall does make sense Thumbsup ...I will see if I can dirty it up a little Wink
I have been adding more coal dust to the area in front of the bins...so that is looking a bit more realistic.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - tetters - 12-21-2009

Very COAL indeed! Get cool...coal... :?

Looks like its going to be a busy place with all those bins. Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - faraway - 12-21-2009

Steve Wrote:... look like worn cement. ...
You have been very successful. It is a great model!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 12-26-2009

Quote:Very COAL indeed! Get cool...coal... :?  
Tetters...... Eek ....... Big Grin  Thumbsup
Reinhard...thank you! Thumbsup

Having the molding (fascia) stick up about 1/4" to 3/8" higher than the shelf, seemed like a good idea at the time Nope .......but it looks weird and gets in the way of photos...............so I took out my saw and trimmed it flush, albeit wavy. I can now run the ground cover to the edge of the shelf.

I added gravel in front of the cement, and continued to dirty it up some more....and finally made the loading dock for the house. Still a lot to detail yet!

[Image: MuZSoI.jpg]

[Image: RcrXuG.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - cnw1961 - 12-27-2009

Steve, the whole scene is top notch! Thumbsup I like how the gravel blends in with the cement and the tire marks are the icing on the cake.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 12-27-2009

Thank you Kurt! Thumbsup

I got the lighting a little better in this pic...it shows the rutted gravel and blackened concrete a little better than previous pics:

[Image: 5GFhB9.jpg]

I'm also doing the ground cover on the sloped area to the right of the coal house.......I will post some pics when I get further along (I only have the dirt down at this point).

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 12-27-2009

I am just so impressed with that building! It is really shaping up! Good job.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 01-10-2010

Thanks Gary Thumbsup

As I wait for some ground cover material to come........it is time to tackle the area behind the coal house:

[Image: Nc5DAG.jpg]

Cold Storage
The background building will be about 31.5" X 1.3" (800 mm X 33 mm). It will be made primarily with styrene but the awning sub roof will be wood (ran out of styrene :oops:  Goldth ). Corrugated metal will cover all.

[Image: 8PB5oR.jpg]

The loading dock is just under 14" (340 mm) and will have 2 sets of double metal doors:

[Image: huqrQe.jpg]

Test fit:

[Image: VyyXiW.jpg]

Overhead door, foundation and dock painted.....molding added to top of structure:

[Image: rWKrUE.jpg]

That's where I'm at now. Along with ground cover material, I'm also going to have to wait until the metal sheets arrive to continue  Icon_cry

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - tetters - 01-11-2010

Nice. Looking forward to the finished product. Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 01-11-2010

I really like your last photo.

Everybody here at the Gauge is getting really good at these scratchbuilds and kitbashes. Good stuff... plenty of stuff to copy once I get back to the layout! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 01-11-2010

Shades of Kurt...... Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 01-11-2010

Lookin' good!

That hidden hole in the wall reminded me that you have hidden staging in a closet. How much staging is there?

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Trucklover - 01-13-2010

Steve the coal dealer is beautiful! The additional tire tracks on the concrete down at the bunkers are very realistic looking, the colors of the dealer itself make it stand out so well, and the whole scene is just turning out awesome! The work on the background building behind it is shaping up to be a sweet structure too!!

My only suggestion, dude get a bigger truck for the coal dealer! hehe Misngth Misngth

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 01-13-2010

tetters...thank you! Thumbsup

Gary S Wrote:I really like your last photo.

Everybody here at the Gauge is getting really good at these scratchbuilds and kitbashes. Good stuff... plenty of stuff to copy once I get back to the layout! Thumbsup
Gary...I copy everybody!!!!!!!!!! Icon_lol

Steamtrains Wrote:Shades of Kurt...... Thumbsup
Well......when you get a chance to "sit at the feet of the master".....you take it! Goldth Wink
Seriously, there is no doubt that Kurt's thumbprint can be seen all over the layout (he designed it) and in my scratch-building (he taught me how). When it comes down to it.......this layout is very much a collaborative effort between two people who are just having a great ol' time "playing with trains". Thumbsup

Galen...Thank you Thumbsup
To answer your "how much staging" question, the closet is 3 ft wide and I have a turnout in place as soon as the track enters it. That gives me one 3ft long track and one that is a little under two feet. There is more I can do, but I haven't really haven't felt the need to expand it.........yet Wink

Josh... Thank you for all the gracious words of encouragement! Thumbsup
Quote:My only suggestion, dude get a bigger truck for the coal dealer! hehe
I'm working on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_lol

Progress report:
Still waiting for............."stuff" to come [Image: 20.gif]