Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 01-13-2010

Steve Wrote:Gary...I copy everybody!!!!!!!!!! Icon_lol

Me too! I was talking about ME copying YOU once I get my layout going again. Big Grin

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 02-09-2010

I really wanted to show the finished structure on the layout with all the ground cover in place....................unfortunately I am STILL waiting for the grass mats Wallbang

Added the roof supports & doors to the loading dock:
[Image: YSpcSi.jpg]

I wound up using corrugated metal sheets from Rusty Stumps. You get a lot for your money, but as you can see in this pic, the material is more susceptible to dings and dents than Campbell's panels. I was being very careful with it (I do have gorilla mitts however Thumbsup ).
[Image: 2GpsJr.jpg]

The imperfections were not noticeable after painting and weathering:
[Image: l3cgvO.jpg]

[Image: 3BuFpf.jpg]

[Image: 0gfVQH.jpg]

[Image: oN2U7q.jpg]

[Image: fvgBYm.jpg]

[Image: qz5rGr.jpg]

The structure is now installed on the layout.............but pics will have to wait until the grass mats arrive.................if ever Nope   Icon_cry

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Puddlejumper - 02-09-2010

WOW!! Thumbsup That looks great! Can't wait to see it on the layout!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Jesso - 02-09-2010

WoW! Thumbsup That turned out great! Hope to see it in place soon! Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - TrainNut - 02-09-2010

Whoah! Steve, that looks AWFULLY convincing! I have to honestly say that if you chose a different backdrop for that (the tree and porch railing kind of gave it away Big Grin ) I would have had a hard time telling that that was not a real building. I do believe you have mastered the art of weathering.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 02-09-2010

For a noobie, you do a pretty good job... Goldth Goldth
Seriously.... !! FANTASTIC !! Worship
Now I know what materials I'll be using for my copper smelter....

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - MountainMan - 02-10-2010

Looks mighty fine on top of that huge log! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 02-10-2010

I have to agree, Steve, that turned out really well. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - tetters - 02-10-2010

Holy Sh....ugar!!! :jawdrop:

Gorgeous!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Wayne R - 02-10-2010

That is one very nice piece of work. Eek Excellent job. Thumbsup It looks very real. There used to be some old buildings down by the tracks here in Kirkland Lake. Some had been here for a very long time and were metal clad. The looks of your model and the weathering looks just like they did. Sadly they were all torn down a few years ago before I even thought of getting a few pictures of them.

Wayne Reid

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 02-10-2010

Steve -

Outstanding! A VERY realistic structure. You've capture the plain, basic, wonderfully ordinary look of a simple (but large!) structure...highly model-genic yet willing to sit in the background and not steal the show from the more interesting foreground structures. Great work.

"Utilitarian" fits.

Tell us more about the paint treatment.

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 02-10-2010

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

WOW! That is absolutely realistic! When I first glanced at the photos, I thought the first photo was the model and the second and third photos were the prototype. This is some of the best modeling I have ever seen, and I very much mean that. Completely and totally impressive.

I too would like to know more about how you did the paint.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Ralph - 02-10-2010

That structure is EXCELLENT! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Ralph

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 02-11-2010

Steve,
In those two close shots, where only the building, and the smaller background trees can be seen.........whoa!
photoshop out the deck rail under the building, and photoshop in some appropriate scenery, and no one will be able to call it a model.
You may not be able to see the dings and dents, but they do contribute to the overall reality of the building. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Excellent weathering!
Very nicely done!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 02-11-2010

I'm going to jump in here one more time and say that this is the most realistic modeling I have ever seen.

Steve, it is simply phenomenal and you should be very proud of your accomplishment. Top notch, number one.