Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - steinjr - 02-11-2010

Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship

Smile,
Stein

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 02-11-2010

For some reason, I keep coming back to take a look at this building. Don't know why, but I have to agree with Gary...I don't think I've seen this level of realism anywhere. You've raised the bar...No doubt about that. Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 02-11-2010

WOW
I am totally stunned by the response to this structure! Eek :oops:
I really appreciate the kind words by all of you guys Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Thank You

A few of you expressed an interest in the painting techniques used on this structure. I'm sure you will be pleased to hear that since I always take the easy way out, very little "technique" was used Goldth Wink

The painting was very straight forward and all done by brush (too cold outside to airbrush). The cement foundation was painted with floquil "concrete" and then streaked with various gray chalks. I don't particularly like the color of the floquil concrete and will mix my own from now on. It doesn't look bad in the outside pics but on my layout it has a somewhat green tint to it (more like wet concrete)............just my opinion Wink .

The corrugated metal was first DullCoted to give it some tooth for subsequent paint layers (this was more important because I was using acrylic paint and applying it with a brush). I brushed on a coat of cheapo Light/Med gray craft paint. After 2 coats (a couple of hours in between) the bare metal was covered. At this point I DullCoted again to ensure the paint would stay put during the weathering process. There is nothing difficult so far, and the weathering doesn't get any more difficult either Wink .

All of the rust was done using one color (raw umber). I wanted a speckled appearance on the walls so I used a 1" brush to "tap" the paint on. I loaded a little paint on the brush and then tapped it on a newspaper to get almost all of it off before going to the structure. When there are only very light marks being made on the newspaper, you are ready. I kept the brush turning in random directions as I applied it, and really tried to leave no discernible patterns. After I was satisfied, I added dirt streaks (under the windows and around the ladders etc) with chalk.
I did the corrugated roof in much the same way but instead of only tapping the paint on, I also dry-brushed rust streaks (same barely loaded brush, but applied with normal brush strokes). Again, I applied dirt streaks with gray chalk. That's really all there is to it..........practice and knowing when to stop (I probably could have stopped with the weathering sooner Goldth Wink ) are what is really important.

Now, that was a long-winded explanation, with absolutely no new information for most of you Wink but perhaps it will help some one see that the "techniques" used are all very easy, and infinitely doable by beginers as well as more seasoned modelers. Thumbsup

I just want to thank you all again for the kind words about this project, and more importantly, for all of the encouragement through the years (has it really been years?) that I have received on The Gauge(s).

Take care Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Russ Bellinis - 02-11-2010

Steve, I would just add, don't worry about dings in corrugated sheet metal. I've never seen a sheet metal clad building that has been in use for any length of time that didn't have dings, cuts, and scratches all over it!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 02-11-2010

BTW...if anyone liked the looks of the electrical boxes, there is a very good reason for that................I stole the idea from Kurt!............and also the sandpaper roof.................and.............. Goldth you get the idea

Thank you Kurt for all of your expertise and patience, my friend.............and allowing me to steal from you! Worship Thumbsup Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - tomustang - 02-11-2010

Incredible work, love it Thumbsup thanks for telling the techniques as well

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 02-11-2010

The moment I saw those (the elec boxes), I knew right off where you'd been "stealing" from.... Goldth

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Trucklover - 02-12-2010

Steve, im a little late in replying to your latest structure, but holy moly dude, that thing is outstanding! I love all the detail, and the weathering is top notch! Great work Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 03-07-2010

Thank you Tom and Josh! Thumbsup  I appreciate the kind words!

Dirt.........grass.........bushes & trees...........FINALLY!  Icon_lol  Goldth

Dirt  (it is sifted real dirt)
[Image: rSZGJR.jpg]

Grass
[Image: SlLOjU.jpg]

More grass and some bushes
[Image: lvK5h5.jpg]

More bushes and a few trees
[Image: HMhtfL.jpg]

[Image: Ca5gDQ.jpg]

That is where I am now.............there will be more trees added and of course more details to come Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 03-07-2010

That's coming along just super....!!! You're outdoing yourself.... Thumbsup
And that little switcher fits right in..!!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - nachoman - 03-07-2010

That scene is looking quite outstanding. Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 03-07-2010

It all blends together so very well. Nicely done! Thumbsup

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - tetters - 03-08-2010

Fantastic! Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 03-08-2010

Steve, how about a picture tutorial of how you did the grass and dirt?

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 03-13-2010

Thank you guys!  Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup
BTW....I will be doing both dirt and grass tutorials in the near future. Wink

In the pics I posted. none of the trees were glued down. I was really experimenting with hiding the shallowness of the building. I should not have made the driveway wrap around the building if I wanted a tree to hide the corner where the building meets the backdrop. Any way, it was suggested that I plant a tree on the near side of the driveway and have it hang over it.

I re-did the tree and swapped a few out:
[Image: pVaedJ.jpg]

This is still very much a work in progress Wink