Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Puddlejumper - 04-18-2010

Gary S Wrote:Keep going, Steve! As i said before, I will be using your ideas on my own layout. Also I want to say that it is great that you found inspiration here on the forum, and the comraderie that you have found is something to be treasured.

I must agree! The work that you have shown in this thread is of the highest caliber I have seen. Several members of this board have such impressive skills, I feel honored just to be a member of this group! I hope someday to be able to show the same type of skill on my layout, most definitely partially because of watching what you all have to show me. The inspiration and camaraderie is the main reason why I focus my attention here at the Gauge rather than on other sites where bickering ensues on a regular basis.

Thank you for posting this thread, especially the coal company, I have a feeling a similar structure will be on my layout, in no small part due to what you have shown me.

Dave

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-18-2010

Thank you Dave for your very nice comments! They are very much appreciated Thumbsup

The Gauge has always been an awesome place learn, but you are right, the members here are what makes this place special. I have learned so much here and met so many great people, it really is incredible.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-27-2010

OK...time to get the lead out!

Having promised myself to get busy and get things done up to the river (mid-point of the layout), I am currently working on the area in the red rectangle.........the small street area first:
[Image: REtih9.jpg]

Each sidewalk that will border the street was made of styrene, cut to size, then scored and gouged with a utility knife. The curb got the same mistreatment. Both were glued to thin, rigid cardboard:
[Image: 6FVZn9.jpg]

Test fit up against the street.......The street was made from 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper that was brushed with very thin gray acrylic paint. The "patches" were made by brushing on a THIN wash of india ink and water. The sandpaper was then mounted to a piece of cardboard as well.
[Image: 86KGDk.jpg]

I added grass to the areas between the curb and the sidewalks. I made the grass a little better kept on the left side of the street since there is a house going there. The house in the pic will not be staying however:
[Image: Mv8ABN.jpg]

The sidewalks were painted with acrylic paint and given an ink-wash. I also used dark gray paint applied with the point of a pin to enhance some of the cracks and defects:
[Image: VquY1w.jpg]

View from a distance:
[Image: VHj6vd.jpg]

Now that I have the street in place, I will start building the two houses for this area of the layout.

Take care  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 04-27-2010

Steve, you have gone over the top again. The street/sidewalk/weeds are some of the best I have ever seen. For sure, I'll be using this thread to help me do the modeling on my layout once I get to that point. Keep up the good work and keep posting the photos and the explanations of how you accomplished the look. Just beautiful!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - faraway - 04-28-2010

I love the high quality and details of your work. You take the time to make things perfect. Something I have to learn...

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 04-28-2010

A#1....What else can one say that's not been said already..?? Goldth
Absolutely top-notch.... Worship Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 04-28-2010

The condition of the sidewalk on the "industrial" side of the street: ..............(AKA, "A walk on the wild side")

Do you have any idea what horrible kinds of critters dwell in that "concrete" "jungle"!!!!!
Hey! "GREEN" people! this is why we'd rather drive our cars than walk!.

Steve, superb scenic effect !!! I really like what you're doing here !
I hadn't ever thought of setting up sidewalk and curb on a cardsboard sheet. Good use of materials. Under the same circumstances I probably would have used 0.010" styrene sheet, ($$$) but a strip of cereal box would work just as well, and cost less.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-28-2010

Gary....Thank you Thumbsup
Reinhard....Thank you........Taking my time is a virtue that I am just begining to learn Wink
Gus...Thank you my friend! Thumbsup

Sumpter250 said:
Quote:I hadn't ever thought of setting up sidewalk and curb on a cardboard sheet. Good use of materials. Under the same circumstances I probably would have used 0.010" styrene sheet

Pete...If I had a sheet of 0.010 styrene, I would have used it too! Goldth
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 04-30-2010

The sidewalk is a really nice touch! It will be exciting to see additional layers appear and contribute to the overall effect.

Thumbsup

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-01-2010

Thank you Galen! Thumbsup Thumbsup

I posted "a Dirt" tutorial in the Scenery forum:

http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2823

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 05-01-2010

Quote: "I posted 'a Dirt' tutorial in the Scenery forum:"

Steve...I should note that this is a "family" forum.....Dirt is something we frown upon.... 357

Well Gus, we know where your mind is, don't we? Goldth

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - cn nutbar - 05-02-2010

Steve---this is an excellent thread.I reminds me of a good book that you can't put down,you just want to keep reading and reading---I just finished reading all 22 pages---very informative and inspirational---thank you

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 05-02-2010

Well...Coming from a long line of farmers....Dirt is always on our mind.... 357

CNN- Steve's threads are ALWAYS a MUST read for anyone interested in improving their modeling.... Thumbsup