Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-23-2010

Well, I am mostly done with the house. I tried to resize a photo of lattice and use it around the bottom of the porch. I don't like it, so I will be making something to go there instead. The house also needs some weathering, but that's about it. Other than the lattice, I am pleased with how it came out.........

[Image: VB8oAI.jpg]

[Image: XKZkKW.jpg]

Next I will be starting on the other house that will be back to back with this one. The prototype of that house is not much to look at, but it should make a convincing structure for this section of the layout.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 05-23-2010

Dang Steve, your modeling skills are impressive. I love the look of that house. The screen door is fantastic, and the windows are awesome too. The other day I went back and found the thread about your original layout. Even though you did great work on the old one, I like this one much better.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Jesso - 05-23-2010

I love how the house is looking. The windows look incredible! I love the woodwork of the house, it looks so good.! Great job!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-24-2010

Quote:The other day I went back and found the thread about your original layout. Even though you did great work on the old one, I like this one much better.
Gary...so do I Thumbsup I learned a lot doing the first layout and I believe that considering my "rookie status" Goldth It was coming out pretty nice....I always kept it fun, and just jumped into any project and let the chips fall where they may. This time around, I guess I'm getting a little more serious about improving my work. But it is still FUN! If it wasn't, I would find another hobby Wink . Also, I just want to thank you for all of your encouragement Thumbsup Thumbsup

Scott...Thank you! Thumbsup What have you been up to guy?!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-25-2010

I resized the lattice...looks much better:

[Image: SFWRZv.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Jesso - 05-25-2010

Looks great! You and Kurt really need to market that ray gun you guys use to miniaturize real objects to put on your layout. On the kids show Phineas and Ferb, the evil scientist liked trains but felt models were not realistic enough so he built a a ray gun to do that, but unfortunately that one was destroyed. But yours works much better :-)

We have been going to a train show a month here and now that is done, so I may be around more.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 05-26-2010

Geeezzzz....What are you gonna ask for rent on that house..?? Goldth
Worship Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 05-26-2010

Steve Wrote:I resized the lattice...looks much better:

Cheers

That does look much better !! Nicely done !! Thumbsup Thumbsup

A shade tree or two, some lawn, perhaps a bit of a garden, and....perfecto !!!!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-27-2010

Thank you guys! Thumbsup
A nice shade tree sounds about right Wink....This house will share backyards with the one behind it (may have a fence seperating them) so I hope to have a nice scene back there.

Scott....I miss seeing pics of your various layouts Sad

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-29-2010

Next house.........

Here is the prototype. This house stands across the street from where Wollenberg Bros elevator once stood (It was destroyed by fire a couple of years ago Nope )

[Image: qNH0yZ.jpg]

I will be taking liberties with the house to utilize windows that I have on hand (I'm cheap, what can I say Wink )

The construction methods are the same as the last house:
[Image: 7FtgqT.jpg]

[Image: YJlIxA.jpg]

[Image: s3rWLf.jpg]

This house will stand in stark contrast to the other one...kind of like the haves and the have-nots....hopefully that will be interesting Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 06-05-2010

Moving along.....still needs a foundation, roof details, window glazing/treatments etc...............

[Image: uWDLJf.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Trucklover - 06-05-2010

Holy Moley Steve! Eek Eek Those houses look fantastic! Great work Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 06-06-2010

Steve!

I just finished a pleasant Sunday afternoon (when I probably should have been trying to figure heads or tails of what I'm going to cobble up with that stack of kits and old Revell Weekly Herald/Superior Bakery parts for the Challenge) but all-in-all it was time very well spent! Thumbsup

Shiverin’ shigglefritz, Steve! Super-swell structures! They totally top the talent totem! Worship Big Grin

I've subscribed to this thread ... and bookmarked it, too! That is some incredible modelwork! I will have to try to "go to school" on what you've accomplished here! Confusedhock: Thumbsup

The more I see on this forum, the more I feel like I'm an amature in the company of Professional Model Makers! Worship Worship You guys all build such sweet stuff! I'm almost hesitant to do this Challenge ... but I made such a big splashy announcement (my daughter and I sorta dreamed that up together when she was over allowing Granddad to spend some time with his 3-month-old grandson) and I will follow through. I just haven't done any scale model building in twenty years ... and when I see the caliber of the work I saw today as I read this thread, i'm not feeling all that confident. I'm really going to have to "bear down" and get on with it!

Once again ... Super stuff Steve! Thumbsup Cheers I look forward to what is to come as you work your way east! Big Grin

[Alliteration ... cool stuff, yes?]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 06-06-2010

Both of the houses are terrific, Steve. I know the perfect spot on my layout for those! I'm thinking I will need about a dozen houses to camoflage my peninsula curve, so i will be checking back on this thread for examples. Truly great work, Steve.

biL, never fear the competition. It'll be fun, and those modeling skills will come back, and some new ones too!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 06-06-2010

Looks great, Steve!

You're not cheap, you're thrifty and resourceful. Wink

Are you going to model the cool roof eave detail, where it tucks back under the eave at the bottom edge? Not sure what that part is called...somebody here can probably tell me. Anyway, it wouldn't be hard to do, and it'd go a long way to adding that extra touch of character.

Galen