Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 06-07-2010

Josh....Thank You buddy!!! Thumbsup

biL...Thank you very much for the very, very, kind words :oops: This forum has always been a great place to share your work. All levels of modelers are here, but there is generally one kind of people.......the nice kind Wink

Gary...A dozen houses?! Eek ...I can wait to see that! I need to venture out to other threads more often Nope Unfortunatly, time is at a premium right now, but I miss seeing what everybody is up to..........

Galen....I will be doing "that part" (I don't know what it is called either) but I got impatient to see what the roof was going to look like....I'm still not sure about it Icon_lol . I'll live with it a while and see if it grows on me.

If you look at my last picture, and the one before it, you will notice a huge difference in the sky colors. For the last pic, I put a picture of a sky behind the house.....looks a heck of a lot better. I like the way my sky looks in person but it is not cutting it in pictures. With that being said, I will be repainting the backdrop. I bought the paint and have ripped out the trees by the Cold Storage. I am also taking this opportunity to change out my styrene road for a sandpaper one. I hope to have it painted by the weekend. I am not sure about painting clouds this time around, because of the darker blue color, they may look fake...I will try a small section and see what it looks like ...I will keep you all posted Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 06-08-2010

That little architectural detail is called a return, although I seem to recall hearing them referred to as box or boxed returns, too.

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - nachoman - 06-08-2010

Steve Wrote:If you look at my last picture, and the one before it, you will notice a huge difference in the sky colors. For the last pic, I put a picture of a sky behind the house.....looks a heck of a lot better. I like the way my sky looks in person but it is not cutting it in pictures. With that being said, I will be repainting the backdrop. I bought the paint and have ripped out the trees by the Cold Storage. I am also taking this opportunity to change out my styrene road for a sandpaper one. I hope to have it painted by the weekend. I am not sure about painting clouds this time around, because of the darker blue color, they may look fake...I will try a small section and see what it looks like ...I will keep you all posted Thumbsup

That has been a conundrum for me - colors that look different in photographs than they do in person. In photos things always look more washed out and blended together. Part of that may be my camera, part may be the lighting, and part may be my eyes. Nontheless, I haven't decided whether I am modeling for "in person" or "in photograph" Icon_lol I will probably shoot for "in person" figuring that if my problem is with lighting or my camera, those problems can always be resolved at a later time.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 06-08-2010

Wowsa..!!! Terrific work..!! Only hope that the project I'm undertaking turns out half as good..!! (What did you use for roofing material on that last one..?)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 06-08-2010

Then, of course there's always this:
A pair of PFM "Sierras", on the upper dual gauge line, with just the "skyboard" background.

And, the same shot with a photoshopped background.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my Corel suite to load properly in this new computer so I may not be able to do as much photoshopping as I used to.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 06-08-2010

doctorwayne Wrote:That little architectural detail is called a return, although I seem to recall hearing them referred to as box or boxed returns, too.

Wayne

You beat me to it, Wayne. Icon_lol Big Grin It is, indeed, called a "return." 8-) Thumbsup Big Grin

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 06-09-2010

I posted a long reply last night but after I pressed "post"....my computer just froze up and I lost it all Curse . I then went to bed :cry:
So let's try this again..............

Wayne...Thank you for the info! Thumbsup

Quote:That has been a conundrum for me - colors that look different in photographs than they do in person. In photos things always look more washed out and blended together. Part of that may be my camera, part may be the lighting, and part may be my eyes. Nontheless, I haven't decided whether I am modeling for "in person" or "in photograph"  I will probably shoot for "in person" figuring that if my problem is with lighting or my camera, those problems can always be resolved at a later time.
Kevin...I agree with you 100% that modeling for "in person" believably is more important than it "looking good" in pics. I would never change the sky color if I didn't think that a darker blue would still look good in person. I was happy with the original color, but I was hoping a darker shade would look good in pics as well

Quote:Wowsa..!!! Terrific work..!! Only hope that the project I'm undertaking turns out half as good..!! (What did you use for roofing material on that last one..?
Gus...Thank you! Thumbsup . To answer your question, I used black wet/dry sandpaper, washed with very think white acrylic paint. It was then weathered with chalks. I am not sure if I am done with it yet.....it needs a little more of an "asphalt look" I think. I do know however, that your project will be awesome as usual!! Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup

Pete...Now ya tell me! Goldth  Wink

biL...thank you! Thumbsup

OK.....I painted the new blue color....I thought after looking at it that I messed up and chose color that was too dark Eek  :cry:
It was because of that, that I decided to airbrush some clouds on in an attempt to lighten it up a little. I am happy with the "final" result (I may make the clouds a little bolder if I still think it needs it tomorrow)

I didn't have to work the pic to death in photoshop trying to make the blue sky show up, it was there already....yay! Goldth

[Image: 4CRv9X.jpg]

[Image: J3boJv.jpg]

[Image: 5zeUIE.jpg]

I masked off the coalhouse and cold storage for paint rolling, so I still need to brush paint up to them....not looking forward to that......oh well, can't have everything Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 06-10-2010

Steve, that sky is looking purty darned good! I like the color and the clouds. Excellent results. Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 06-10-2010

Steve Wrote:I may make the clouds a little bolder if I still think it needs it tomorrow

That's your choice, but I really like the way the clouds look in the photos. Sometimes a lighter hand, a subtler touch, makes the bolder statement. Your clouds aren't "overdone", and making them bolder might result in just that.....overdone.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 06-10-2010

I agree with Pete: the softer-looking clouds look good but aren't so bold that they draw attention away from what will be the main attractions. As for the colour choice for the sky: perfect, in my opinion. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 06-11-2010

Thank you Gary, Pete, and Wayne Thumbsup
After sleeping on it....I agree with you guys.....the clouds will stay as is.

This weekend I am going to try and scenic my way back to the 2nd house. Starting at the Cold Storage, I will re-plant the trees and get the groundcover underneath them a little more appropriate looking (less grass and more dirt/leaves).

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 06-11-2010

Steve Wrote:This weekend I am going to try and scenic my way back to the 2nd house. Starting at the Cold Storage, I will re-plant the trees and get the groundcover underneath them a little more appropriate looking (less grass and more dirt/leaves).

PHOTO-TUTORIAL!!!!!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 06-12-2010

Pulling the weeds and building fences.....  

I wet the area where the trees were and removed a bit of grass. The pic shows the grass that was removed on the right:
[Image: hHMYr9.jpg]

I made a fence to help hide the backdrop and the corner of the building (it is not permanently placed yet):
[Image: cTPcGB.jpg]

The area near the building will be for pallets and all kinds of junk:
[Image: KJkfMz.jpg]

The story is going to be, that trucks no longer come to the back of the building. All of that is done in the front now.....so the gravel drive way is over-grown and the gate is permanently locked (or will be soon Wink 
[Image: 88unLd.jpg]

I built the gate in one piece to make it easy, but I will be using my utility knife to seperate them, leaving them slightly crooked for interest. Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 06-12-2010

Worship Worship Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Trucklover - 06-13-2010

Whoa! That fence is looking good Steve! Nice job Thumbsup