Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - fast car - 06-21-2010

Steve,

Very nice scene. I think your modeling is first rate and deserves the acolades that are being given. Good things do come in narrow packages. Everyone can learn from what you are doing.

Larry

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 06-27-2010

Thank you Jack! Thumbsup
Thank you Larry.....and a belated "Welcome to The Gauge!" Thumbsup

Back to work on the house.......
Since my last posting on this project, I have added a vent pipe, chimney, foundation, steps, awnings, and the roof returns:

[Image: XjkFmC.jpg]

Now I need to add the glazing and window treatments, and two awning supports (maybe)......then the house will be completed.
Hopefully I will get that done during the week Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 06-27-2010

If that house gets any nicer, you're going to come back to add the window glazing and find that a family of LPB's has moved in ... just install the glazing, inform them what day garbage pick-up is, collect the rent check and keep on going!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 06-28-2010

Bil's right: a nice house near the tracks would be any LPB-railfan's delight, with photos ops right from the front stoop. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 07-02-2010

Details that really stand out - the metal window awnings, the roof returns, and the cinderblock foundation. What great realism and natural character! Keep on keepin on! Thumbsup

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 07-02-2010

Actually, after the roof returns, I noticed the stains coming down from the ends of window sills ... how typical!

Lovely!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 07-03-2010

P5se Camelback Wrote:Actually, after the roof returns, I noticed the stains coming down from the ends of window sills ... how typical!

Lovely!

To paraphrase Tom Lehrer, "The secret to success in modelbuilding can be summed up in one word...plagiarize "

Nature is the supreme artist, and we need to "occasionally" steal some of her "techniques"......only, please, always to call it "research" . Big Grin
Nice research Steve. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 07-03-2010

That sure is some kind'a "research"....Worthy of consideration for a NMRA* prize.... Goldth

*Not THAT NMRA...This is the Nobel in Model Railroading Arts.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-04-2010

Thank you very much EVERYONE! Thumbsup

It has not been an easy lesson for me to learn, but working from prototype pics, and borrowing from other real world structures, has made a big difference in my models' realism. Also, just getting time in the hobby has helped a lot as well. Being around excellent modelers who "push" you, doesn't hurt either Wink Thumbsup

Thanks again

No modeling this weekend.....just chillin' Eek

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 07-05-2010

Quote:No modeling this weekend.....just chillin'

I hear that, Steve. Even so, I've been chillin' for a while from the modeling at least, while working in the yard & garden and taking care of the family needs. I'd be jealous of John Allen's bachelorhood if I didn't love my wife and kids so much, or enjoy my work as much as I do. I have a feeling you understand based on comments you've made regarding the decision to shift from a larger layout to a 'narrow package' - a wise decision despite my distress at the dismantling of such a beautiful layout as the Twin Rivers had become.

All that said, for me at least, it's time to dive in again now that the little one is down for a nap, the big one is out playing, the wife is canning peaches, and the weather isn't all that appealing for the outdoors...you get the picture. Thanks again for modeling the 'ordinary' stuff of life that becomes so interesting in miniature.

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-05-2010

Galen my friend, I understand completely. In those very rare moments when I wonder "how the other half lives", I think about my wife and children and realise how very blessed and content I am.

Quote:Thanks again for modeling the 'ordinary' stuff of life that becomes so interesting in miniature.
That was a lesson, that took a long time to learn! I was always looking for extraordinary stuff. Ordinary is COOL! (in more ways than one) Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-06-2010

Window treatments:

Mostly simple shades
[Image: HtisIi.jpg]

[Image: 3M54FW.jpg]

The large front window received a beat up Venetian blind
[Image: t8inAf.jpg]

That is pretty much it for this house.
There is still one more structure to build (across the street from the "nice" house). Then I will be scenicking everything up to, and including, the river. I am looking forward to getting this side of the layout complete. Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 07-06-2010

That turned out most awesome. Your weathering skills have really progressed, love the look of the house. I may have missed it, but what is the block foundation made from?

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 07-07-2010

I'll see Gary's "awesome"...and raise it to AWESOMEST..!!! Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 07-07-2010

Looking at your photos, I had a sudden "moment of awareness". What I noticed as missing, are details that I've failed to include all along. They are ??? you ask? Street numbers, and the ubiquitous "electric meter".( They're everywhere, they're everywhere ! )
The Boathouse kit comes with the meter, and I even mentioned it, but haven't included it in my models before. I don't think I've ever seen street numbers on any model house. ( enter "palm of hand slapping forehead" smilie here ) I guess I should pay closer attention to my own signature! :oops: