Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 07-07-2010

Sumpter250 ... you took me back! 8-)

think ... the late '50's - early '60's ... living in Wayne, Pa., outside Philly ... 9:30 or 10:00 PM ... my brother and me, laying in the dark in our twin beds ... each listening intently to the earbud on a crystal radio built from a kit ... it was WLS, Chicago ... the Dick Biandi Show ... it was ...

"CHICKEN MAN! ... he's everywhere, he's everywhere !" Icon_lol

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 07-08-2010

Crystal radios..........I remember those...............and, hunting pterodactyls ! Big Grin Big Grin

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 07-08-2010

I missed the pterodactyls, but do remember the crystal radios. Goldth
One in particular sticks in my (now feeble) mind: A small (about 6") rocket shaped radio - this was at the beginning of the space era- that you tuned by sliding the "nose cone" in and out of the body. Had to ground it to a water pipe with an alligator clip, and used an earplug to listen to it. Aaahhh...Those were the days.... Sad

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Justinmiller171 - 07-08-2010

Crystal Radios! Eek I just built one of those with my grandpa a few weeks ago, I didn't know no one builds those anymore. :cry:

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - bdw9535 - 07-08-2010

Steve,

Another very realistic model, outstanding job Thumbsup .

Bruce

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - faraway - 07-08-2010

I love to see the precise handcraft. Congratulation!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-11-2010

Thank you guys! Thumbsup

Ah yes....crystal radios.....good times Smile

I was less than satisfied with the styrene road. It seemed to look better in pics than in person, mostly due to a lack of texture. Anyway, I ripped it out and made a new sandpaper road:

[Image: Ry2EpJ.jpg]

[Image: KYkSmX.jpg]

[Image: Sty5yH.jpg]

The last pic was taken today....the blue foam was distracting on the left side and I started the ground cover around the house on the right........definitely not ready for pics yet :oops:  Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 07-11-2010

Steve,

Okay it took me three days but I finally caught up to your current posting Cheers

Let me first say WOW and thank you for all your great ideas. I espeically like the use of the Heki grass mats and have filed that away for future use. I also really find your structures to be great and plan on borrowing some of your techniques.

I am in the process of building a shelf layout depciting the SP&S, which as you know was 50% owned by the NP. I will keep checking back to see what else you have created that I can borrow Goldth

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - faraway - 07-11-2010

Steve Wrote:...The last pic was taken today...
The weathering and the patches on the road make the difference. I like that road surface.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 07-12-2010

That last pic is a real eye-opener. I didn't realize you were modeling the gulf coast! Confusedhock: :o 35

Nice job on the road. What grit size sandpaper did you use?

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 07-12-2010

ocalicreek Wrote:That last pic is a real eye-opener. I didn't realize you were modeling the gulf coast! Confusedhock: :o 35
Nice job on the road. What grit size sandpaper did you use?
Galen

I'm going to guess, He didn't want to be late so he came oily. Icon_lol Icon_lol

Oh wait, about the grit.....I'm guessing 300-400, with a strong feel for 320.
I do like the crumbling edges. Nicely done !
Painted styrene does work better in N scale, especially with a little dry brush weathering. In HO, a little more texture is needed. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 07-12-2010

That's a sweet bit of road.... But I like that black sedan better. What is that..a Packard, Hudson..??

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - shaygetz - 07-12-2010

Steve Wrote:....the blue foam was distracting on the left side...

...and the serene country setting about to be overtaken by the menacing dark cloud of despairing, seething darkness wouldn't be? Goldth Goldth Goldth

Excellent work... Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - JohnyBotto - 07-12-2010

Steve, you are doing great things with your narrow space! Well done and keep up the great work.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 07-12-2010

The black sedan looks to me like a Dodge Meadowbrook Sedan, maybe like an early to mid-'50's - 1953, 1954 ... something like that.