Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 08-08-2010

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the encouragement! Thumbsup Thumbsup

I will try and answer the questions that were asked............

The siding is Northeastern scribed sheathing with 1/16" spacing, the foundation was made from 1/8" spaced sheathing but it could have easily been made with two pieces of strip wood.

I found the sign at this link:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-blotter-freedom-motor-oil-freedom-pa
it is taken from an old blotter and i just cropped the part I needed.

The way I did the sign is pretty straight forward. I printed the sign on regular printer paper. Before cutting it out, I sanded the back of it to make it thinner. I cut it out and applied a liberal amount of adhesive with a glue stick. After gently pressing the sign in place I used a plastic toothpick (with a slightly rounded tip) and ran it in the grooves of the siding to push the sign into them...........and that is it. Wink

A quick search of "gas pump" on the Walters website reveals tons of them. I will be updating the pumps for this project with some from JL Innovative, but in a nod to the picture, I will probably have a proto pump out back just rusting away :cry:

The switch machine......The Caboose ground throws, although out of scale, have never bothered me. Many awesome layouts have them. However, in this area, they look pretty bad! Eek They will be going away and will be replaced with something much less noticeable. I will not be doing any under the table stuff though....it will be very simple....more on that later.....maybe Goldth

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 08-08-2010

I did the window glazing and added the window lettering. I tried to match the proto lettering (fonts) as much as possible:
[Image: DxvLOb.jpg]

In place:
[Image: 69vMk2.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 08-10-2010

Quote:The switch machine......The Caboose ground throws, although out of scale, have never bothered me. Many awesome layouts have them. However, in this area, they look pretty bad! They will be going away and will be replaced with something much less noticeable. I will not be doing any under the table stuff though....it will be very simple....more on that later.....maybe

Steve - Thank you for finally saying something about the ground throws. I didn't want to sound like a nag or a kaptain kiljoy by mentioning them, because they are great for the reason you mention (widespread use - even on my timesaver), plus they work. It's hard to argue with reliable performance and ease of installation especially when the out-of-scale size isn't so noticable. But next to the superb scale modeling you've been churning out, well, it is noticable.

I decided not to use them on my current bonus room layout for two reasons. One, the layout is high and reaching them without inevitably knocking down trees, lpbs or whole buildings would be tough. Two, the scale size. I'm sure I'll compromise scale in some other highly visible way, but that's all part of the tough compromises we make in this real-life-reduced hobby.

I'm sure whatever you decide will be great. There have been many articles online lately about creating working switch stands or under-the-table mechanisms. I'm working on one myself... Nice work on the gas station. Tichy sure makes some great products, and that sign is a winner.

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Justinmiller171 - 08-10-2010

I saw an article once on using N-scale ground-throws on an Ho-scale layout, that would make it look alot more like the real thing.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 08-15-2010

Ground throw has been removed  Wink

I was doing a little ink-wash to the structure and used a blow dryer to help speed up the drying process.....well I got careless and warped the plastic storefront Icon_cry  .....I have ordered a new one and am now waiting for it so I can re-do it Wallbang

Oh well, maybe I can do it a little better since I had a "practice run" Goldth

In the mean time, I built some rear stairs and made the track and hardware for the freight door. I also made the sub-roofs and added some more weathering and general distress to the wood.

Ground throw was still in place at the time of this pic:
[Image: ShlOKX.jpg]

Track and rollers........& I replaced the small sign with a darker one that matches the prototype (was hard to find that one):
[Image: lrPMlF.jpg]

Sub roofs in place...but not glued down. I will do that after I add the rolled roofing:
[Image: Vd9tql.jpg]

I ordered the storefront and a few other things direct from Tichy, so they should arrive very soon  (I have found that Tichy has always been Faaaaaaast!!!!) Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 08-15-2010

Steve,

Awesome as always...probably hard for any supplier to keep up with your progress being as it is Fassssssssssst.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 08-15-2010

You know, Steve, I looked for a long time at that original vintage photo of Mr. Rose's fine little store. Indeed it seems that he was doing his darnedest to be all things to all people. But there was one thing that I, as a "how things work" kind of guy, came back to study over and over ...

... and now I look at it again on your model, and it looks just like the prototype building ... it's ...

... That "freight door!"

I can't for the life of me figure out where that door can go except right where it is! The overhead track is barely longer than the door. How on earth does that door open wide enough for anything wider than a year's worth of Model Railroader issues to pass through?

Now, Mr. Rose's side door aside, you are doing a fine job on this building ... I never expected anything less!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 08-15-2010

Thanks Greg! Thumbsup

P5se Camelback Wrote:You know, Steve, I looked for a long time at that original vintage photo of Mr. Rose's fine little store.  Indeed it seems that he was doing his darnedest to be all things to all people.  But there was one thing that I, as a "how things work" kind of guy, came back to study over and over ...

... and now I look at it again on your model, and it looks just like the prototype building ... it's ...

... That "freight door!"

I can't for the life of me figure out where that door can go except right where it is!  The overhead track is barely longer than the door.  How on earth does that door open wide enough for anything wider than a year's worth of Model Railroader issues to pass through?

Now, Mr. Rose's side door aside, you are doing a fine job on this building ... I never expected anything less!

It took me a while to figure it out.......If we look at a close up of the door, you can see that the rollers are connected to the door with swivels. The center of the door would pull out and the right and left ends would then roll towards each other, essentially folding the door in half. It could then be rolled off to one side or the other. The track actually curves around the front of the building (I couldn't do this because my storefront windows are too high to allow that)
[Image: BG3KCL.jpg]

The wooden piece at the bottom, that looks like a guide for a sliding door is really there to keep the center tight to the building when not opened. It could be spun out of the way to open the door.

I knew the door folded in some way (at the bottom it looks like three sections but the top looks like two, or many multiple sections). Kurt felt that it folded in half, and that is the way I believe it worked. One thing is for sure......it is an interesting door! Wink  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 08-15-2010

I believe you're right...That door has to fold in the middle and pushed to one side to get a good size opening. Clever way of doing it..!! You didn't by any chance model the door action, did you..?? Goldth
That is going to be one great addition to your layout (as if you didn't know.... :oops: ). Can't wait to see it finished..!! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 08-16-2010

Steve Wrote:... It took me a while to figure it out.......If we look at a close up of the door, you can see that the rollers are connected to the door with swivels. The center of the door would pull out and the right and left ends would then roll towards each other, essentially folding the door in half. It could then be rolled off to one side or the other. The track actually curves around the front of the building (I couldn't do this because my storefront windows are too high to allow that)

[Image: ArchRoseGasStationfreightdoor.jpg]

Now that there's the enlargement I can see that the track does, in fact. turn the corner. I thought I saw that in the smaller picture, but discounted it as there's now way that would make any sense with what I assumed to be the typical solid, sliding door (I had one of them on my garage when I lived in Lansdale, PA ... a real pain to operate when it's pouring rain!)

Steve Wrote:The wooden piece at the bottom, that looks like a guide for a sliding door is really there to keep the center tight to the building when not opened. It could be spun out of the way to open the door.

I did notice that wooden piece and the fact that it looked like it could pivot but never put it together that the door might fold! Now tha's inventive ... and an interesting way to get large items in and out of a building that was obviously constructed with no thought to selling oversized items. Hats off to Mr. Rose!

Steve Wrote: I knew the door folded in some way (at the bottom it looks like three sections but the top looks like two, or many multiple sections). Kurt felt that it folded in half, and that is the way I believe it worked. One thing is for sure......it is an interesting door! ...

Geez ... you've got that right!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 08-17-2010

I worked on the front sign and rolled roofs. Trying to match the fonts with the prototype was difficult , but it turned out pretty close:

[Image: VGwhSA.jpg]

[Image: dlSfvc.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Drew - 08-17-2010

Steve,
I've been needing some inspiration for getting off my duff, & getting busy with my layout, & I need look no further than this thread...WOW!!
Worship Worship Worship Worship
Awesome...I've been sitting here for an hour reading your thread...
A simple design, beautifully modeled...simply perfect!
Thanks...I needed that!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 08-17-2010

Steve - most excellent research! That close-up really reveals the mechanism and method to that door. Nice. I hadn't studied it as long as biL, but was merely blown away by the rust & coloration on the door track. The board falling off the side, the door track, all the colorful signage...really brings the b&w photo to life! Keep it up!

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 08-17-2010

I can tell when someone's work is at the very top of the line...When I can sit and look at a picture for the longest time, and discover little bits here and there that make it spectacular...I'm quite sure you have reached that point.... Worship

P.D. "Pop"...I haven't seen/heard that word in ages.... 357

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 08-17-2010

Steamtrains Wrote: P.D. "Pop"...I haven't seen/heard that word in ages.... 357

Drive on up the road to Wisconsin ... you can hear that word, pop, all day long ... said with an unmistakable accent! Icon_lol

But if you want a drink of water, ask where the bubbler is, because if you ask for the water fountain, you'll be directed to a landscaping feature, and the person giving you directions will look at you like you are very strange. :?