Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 09-11-2010

Steve -

That's one muddy river! It looks fantastic. From what I remember of Ohio, thinking of driving W from Columbus out towards Indiana, I remember distinctly the 'hedgerow' look of trees & shrubs growing along creeks & rivers, breaking up the monotony of the farm fields. Perhaps you can capture that look by making the ground cover on either side of the river very simple and low, with the trees & shrubs alongside the riverbanks providing a vertical contrast.

Or leave it as it is. Smile Either way will be great, I'm sure.

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 09-22-2010

Before I "tie" the river in with the rest of the layout, I need to permanently place my elevator. So I finally finished it by adding window glazing, shades on the doors, making some gutters and downspouts, and a little more dirt here and there.......hey, it only took 3 years Goldth  Wink

Before
[Image: U8OUue.jpg]

After
[Image: wVHQH9.jpg]

[Image: y0U40w.jpg]

Now I will scenick it all up to and including the river. That will put me at the half-way point of this layout Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 09-22-2010

That is one darned good looking elevator!

I agree with Galen that it would be a nice touch to have taller vegetation on the creek banks as a contrast to the lower vegetation on the flat ground. I think it is fairly common that fence lines and creeks are "all grown up", and that will be the look I am aiming for too.

But back to the elevator... Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - faraway - 09-24-2010

Steve Wrote:... I need to permanently place my elevator. So I finally finished it by adding window glazing, shades on the doors, making some gutters and downspouts, and a little more dirt here and there........
I knew there was a very good reason to get home on the computer after my weeks of vacation. It is your elevator Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 09-24-2010

WoW..!! That is one striking structure..!! But, of course...It's yours.... Thumbsup
I recall seeing the original build thread, but can't remember If it's a kit or scratcbuilt...?? Whatever it is...It's gorgeous..!! Worship Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 09-28-2010

Thanks Guys!! Thumbsup

Gus...Wollenberg was scratch built so long ago, I can't blame you for not remembering  Goldth  Thumbsup

A little more work on the river and ground cover:

There will be a structure very close to the right bank of the river, so I will be leaving most of that area for later

[Image: wv32q4.jpg]

[Image: amWiAZ.jpg]

[Image: gX1xx7.jpg]

Still a lot of work on the greenery and details ahead Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 09-28-2010

Confusedhock:

Dang dude, you never cease to amaze me. Great photos of some great modeling. I just can't tell you enough how great this is.

Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 09-28-2010

Steve,

Very nice as usual...I really think that the elevator is now properly seated into the scene, a great model for a great railroad.

Now about that bridge...whats the plan?

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 09-28-2010

And I gotta ask... the tree in the foreground to the left of the bridge... you make that?

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - tetters - 09-29-2010

Fantastic! I really need to pick up some of those grass tufts. Nice work Bro! Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 09-29-2010

You certainly have an excellent command of the language of "detail", and express it eloquently.

seriously though, it is enjoyable seeing what you've created, but even more enlightening to know that detail of that level is attainable. It is a skill that can be learned, so long as we have the desire to learn it. Thank you for the inspiration....now, where did I leave my Optivisor.... Big Grin Big Grin

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 09-29-2010

tetters Wrote:Fantastic! I really need to pick up some of those grass tufts. Nice work Bro! Worship

I ordered some from Euro-hobbies and they said it was a 3 week wait.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 09-30-2010

tetters....thank you! Thumbsup ...you can also get the Heki grass at Scenic Express. The only way I can find it on their website is to type in "wild grass" in their search bar Wink

Pete....thank you very much for the extremely kind words...you, and many others, have provided me with both inspiration, and much needed encouragement through the years....thank you Wink

Gary...thank you! Thumbsup
The trees and shrubs on my layout are this product from Woodland Scenics:
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/Fine-LeafFoliage
I got 4 boxes of the stuff at a train show years ago. Today's retail price is $14.99 per pkg. I got them for half of that at the show. Now the bad news........
Out of the 4 boxes, I managed to get 12 "full size" 5 inch +/- trees, 5 or so miniature trees (3" or less) and countless shrubs.
So..........if you want some nice looking shrubs for your layout, get a pkg Thumbsup  If you need a couple of trees and some shrubs, get a pkg Thumbsup ....but if you need more than a few trees, you would be better off getting the Scenic Express "super tree" kit and making your own for less. If I had to pay the full price I would have lost my shirt!!!! Plus....I am now about out of trees!!!! Eek  Goldth Live and learn!!

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Steve,

Very nice as usual...I really think that the elevator is now properly seated into the scene, a great model for a great railroad.

Now about that bridge...whats the plan?

Greg.....you are assuming that I have a plan! Goldth  I do, but I haven't gotten to that yet....soon Wink

Small update

I added a removable saftey chain across the trestle opening:

[Image: Ohhu5C.jpg]

[Image: z8YWEJ.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Ralph - 09-30-2010

Man, this all looks so good Steve! I've missed this entire thread until now (I don't know how!) and am now a big fan of narrow packages. Great work!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 09-30-2010

"Good Lord..." were the words out of my mouth when I saw that shot of the chain (with sign...) across the trestle opening.... Eek

Only "detail" lacking....A rusty coupler on that hopper.... Goldth That'd make that shot as prototypical as possible... Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup