Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ak-milw - 09-30-2010

I don't know, A guy hangs a rusty old chain across an opening and everyone goes ga-ga!!!!

By the way Steve it looks great!! Misngth

8-)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 09-30-2010

Steamtrains Wrote:Only "detail" lacking....A rusty coupler on that hopper.... Goldth That'd make that shot as prototypical as possible... Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Along with shiny metal treads on the wheels, a coupler cut bar, air hose, and some general weathering on that hopper. Give me some time and I'll find a few more improvements you can make. But you're at the point now with these scenes that you can begin to add value to the scenes through these detail touches and WOW is it really paying off.

When in doubt, make the safe choice! And adding safety precautions to our model worlds helps our little plastic people stay out of harm. Plus, it looks really cool. Thumbsup

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 10-01-2010

ocalicreek Wrote:When in doubt, make the safe choice! And adding safety precautions to our model worlds helps our little plastic people stay out of harm. Plus, it looks really cool. Thumbsup Galen

And........it keeps the LPOB's ( Little Plastic OSHA B...eings ) off your "case".
( I was going to say Anatomically Specific Seat-filler, but then I might have to ban myself ).

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 10-01-2010

Quote:Only "detail" lacking....A rusty coupler on that hopper

Gus...haven't you noticed that I haven't weathered any of my rolling stock? Not one piece. :oops:

I guess I'm just having too much fun building the layout! Goldth Thumbsup
Besides, I have to save something for my quickly approaching "golden years" Big Grin Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 10-01-2010

Now that you mention it...Yeah..!! They're all looking brand-spanking new... Eek

Not that it matters...The layout more than makes up for that..!!! And then some.... Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 10-03-2010

Another quick update....

Following Kurt's tutorial on making "utility poles":
http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=391
I have gotten started on some. I have one complete, and others on the way  Thumbsup

[Image: 5bCjpO.jpg]

[Image: Cb2RFv.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 10-03-2010

Steve,

Amazing as always!!!

Kurt makes some mean telephone poles....I love this Forum!!!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Puddlejumper - 10-04-2010

Whoa...! How tall it that pole? Looks absolutely fantastic, but I think it may be a scale 10 or so feet too tall for a regular utility pole. Steve, I am really enjoying watching you build this layout!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - tetters - 10-04-2010

I thought the same thing too about the height. So I found this on the net while looking for the average height of a telephone pole at about 20ft, 40ft, and 60ft high. I made a utility pole a while back to go with my interlocking tower, however cut a portion of the base off the structure because I decided to put it along the fascia edge and the pole hung off the side. I still have the portion of the utility pole embedded in the base. Long story short, I think I measured it to about 40' high which seemed like a good happy medium.

Don't get me wrong though, its hard to critique your efforts Steve when everything looks so great. I wonder if parking a loco next to the pole would help give folks some perspective on the over all height I suspect that because it is in the foreground it only looks reeeeally tall. Wink

Misngth

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 10-04-2010

Where the line crosses a road, track, or other lines the poles are often taller than usual:
[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainBrainsecondcd001.jpg]

Some companies placed the crossarms on the side of the pole away from the obstacle being crossed, and usually the crossarms along the pole line alternated to which side of the pole they were attached.
Also, I think that perhaps there's one too many insulators on those crossarms (or two too few). Both arms on the pole in front of my house have only three insulators each. One of our electrician-type Members may be able to clarify that one.

Regardless, the pole looks good to me, and really enhances the scene. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Puddlejumper - 10-04-2010

All the poles around here have 4 insulators. The cross arms only have 3 as Doctorwayne pointed out, the 4th, or neutral line, is on the pole itself, about 5 feel below the 3 hot lines. Sometimes one of the 3 hot lines is placed on the pole as well, on an insulator at the very top.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 10-04-2010

All sugestions have been duly noted and acted upon  Thumbsup
I never picked up on the configuration of insulators before....that was news to me Wink

The top of this double arm pole is a scale 36 ft high. All single arm poles will be about 33 ft ground to tip.

[Image: 7C7Xcp.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 10-04-2010

Those scenes are coming together just TERRORIFICALLY..!! Eek
The junk lying all about takes it to another level.... Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - OBJack - 10-16-2010

Well done Steve, every time I see one of your buildings it makes me want go and start a new kit, and fix the mistakes I made in the last one I did.
Yes, you have a good eye, a great scene builder. Cheers

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 10-16-2010

I really enjoy seeing the result of "attention to detail". It's amazing how bits and pieces of "stuff" can be placed in just the right position, with just the right colors, to "paint" a 3D landscape.
One of the subtle things done here, is the size,color, and placement of, shrubs, weeds, and grasses. This along with excellent weathering, and the variety of structures, makes a very natural looking scene.

For some of you, new to the hobby, none of us "started" at this level.......we observed, and we learned.
......And, I'm still learning.

Steve, Thumbsup I like what I see.
Pete