Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Charlie B - 02-21-2011

STEVE...... Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Great detailing, the grass and the trees make the scene. lots of work there.
Charlie

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - steinjr - 02-21-2011

Sir - permission to cheer boisterously? :-)

As always - exquisite modeling!

Grin,
Stein

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - SP1 - 02-22-2011

You just made my day. I discovered the thread this morning and it took me three pots of coffee to go through all 38 pages of it. Very enjoyable read. Great scenery and even better structures. Simply stunning!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - tetters - 02-22-2011

I am loving the grass between the rails! Something I intend to replicate with my own scenery. Is that also the Heki (sp?) wild grass tufts? Everything looks great Steve.

Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - cn nutbar - 02-22-2011

It's great to have you back Steve---your layout is very inspiring for us "wannabees"

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 02-23-2011

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Hi Steve welcome to the Forum!!! ok j/k

I am glad to see you back at it and completly understand about taking a break!!
I really like the little details you have started to add as it really adds to the overall effect of the layout, I hope to see more random debris and other details spring up along the track!! Also....DON'T TAKE SO LONG BETWEEN POSTS Big Grin

Thank you for the warm welcome! Wink Goldth I believe that I will be getting more accomplished now that I have taken a break. Thumbsup

Charlie...Thank you, much appreciated! Thumbsup

Stein.....you are very kind, thank you sir! Thumbsup

SP1 Wrote:You just made my day. I discovered the thread this morning and it took me three pots of coffee to go through all 38 pages of it. Very enjoyable read. Great scenery and even better structures. Simply stunning!

Thank you so much!....but you are lucky you didn't fall into my old thread, that one was about 80 pages I believe Eek What can I say, I have a BIG mouth (or at least fast fingers) Goldth

tetters...I appreciate the kind remarks! Thumbsup and to answer your question...the grass is indeed the Heki wildgrass. Wink

cn nutbar Wrote:It's great to have you back Steve---your layout is very inspiring for us "wannabees"
Mr. Nutbar....every forum has certain members that are absolutely essential to it's integrity and vital to the enjoyment of it's other members....you sir are one of those people. This forum would not be what it is without YOU.
I, like most others here, always look forward to your posts and pics Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Thanks everybody! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 02-23-2011

Hey Steve, the layout is looking A+! Love all the trash and stuff, those are really nice details. I'll be following your lead on that. Can't have too much trash and junk. Big Grin

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - nachoman - 02-23-2011

You placement of small details, debris, and plants is extremely realistic - creating an excellent scene throughout. Nice work. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 02-23-2011

Gary and Kevin....thank you guys! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 02-23-2011

WoW..!! That detailing is jaw-dropping..!! The whole thing is just fantastic.... Worship
Those old tires laying about are really the icing on the cake...

This deserves a whole two handfulls of thumbs up..!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Puddlejumper - 02-24-2011

I'm so glad to see you posting again. This is by far my favorite thread on the internet right now, and one of my favorite layouts. I echo what Tetters said, the grass between the rails is great. I intend to use a significant amount of tall grass between the rails and all around on my maintenance deferred trackage. I may need to hit you up for pointers to achieve a nice application that will look terribly maintenance deferred but not derail cars.

Popcornbeer I await the next post and progress pics.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - modelsof1900 - 02-24-2011

Steve,

very, very good scenery and fine details. I'm enjoyd seeing such a highest quality modeling work!
Let see us your next pictures! Thanks.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 02-24-2011

Steve Wrote:I went to take a nap, and look what happened.........I woke up over 2 months later! Eek Goldth

You might be well advised to check out your family tree.......you just might be the long lost heir to the "Van Winkle" fortune. 357 Icon_twisted

What I like most about your detailing, is that it is never "overdone", and because of that, always looks natural, almost unnoticed, as we are become accustomed to seeing the junk and trash, around and about us.
That the hand can reproduce what the eye sees, without "added statement", redefines "hand-eye coordination".
Nicely done ! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 02-27-2011

Ahhhhhhhh! Finally!

I thought that you may had "succumbed" or some such foolishness!

It's so good to see you back posting again! I always looked forward to reading and studying the wonderful visuals on your thread ... and I do mean studying ... one must study to learn and retain, and a day without learning something new is a day wasted! (At least that's what my Grandfather always told me.)

Those days are now over ...

Steve is back!
Welcome back, Bubba!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 02-27-2011

Gus....thank you my friend! Thumbsup

Dave....thank you.......if you ever have any questions, just fire away! I'm sure I will get some of them right Icon_lol Goldth

Bernhard...... Worship .....Thank you for the very kind words Thumbsup .

Sumpter250 Wrote:
Steve Wrote:I went to take a nap, and look what happened.........I woke up over 2 months later! Eek Goldth

You might be well advised to check out your family tree.......you just might be the long lost heir to the "Van Winkle" fortune. 357 Icon_twisted

What I like most about your detailing, is that it is never "overdone", and because of that, always looks natural, almost unnoticed, as we are become accustomed to seeing the junk and trash, around and about us.
That the hand can reproduce what the eye sees, without "added statement", redefines "hand-eye coordination".
Nicely done ! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Well if anyone in my family has money....they ain't coughing it up! Curse Goldth
Thank you for your generous assessment of my detailing.....I really have a hard time with it because I am inclined to keep my structures and landscaping "clean" for some reason (I am hardly a "neat-freak" in real life). My coal house could use a lot more coal and dust around, especially at track level, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it :oops: .............some day perhaps Wink

biL....I appreciate the encouraging remarks Thumbsup .....I have certainly learned from the best here on The Gauge, and still do every day!

Small update:
I have decided to leave things as they are on this end of the layout, and move all the way to the far right side and start work over there. Eventually I will work my way back to the river and tie both sides together. I have been looking at hundreds of pics, trying to find a suitable structure for the end wall. Kurt and I both liked one of them, so............after I make a mock up and make sure it looks right, I will put some pics up Thumbsup

Thanks everyone! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup