Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 02-27-2011

I sit waiting with bated breath! Seriously! I look forward to the new developments in the East!

You and Kurt and Gary have been playing strange music in my poor old head! From time to time I begin to think ...

... I'm still at the slowly-bringing-benchwork-up-from-the-floor stage here. I could just as easily forget the Pocono Mountains of Northestern Pennsylvania and model the Philly waterfront ... or an industrial area tucked into the the rolling hills around the Reading, PA area where camelbacks rulled the rails and have a kick-butt ISL with Anthracite as King! There wouldn't be twelve thousand trees to build or any of that ...

And then I go ... Nah! I've had this dream for decades ... but on the other hand, it might be pretty cool to .........

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 03-05-2011

Thanks biL....I hope I don't let ya down  Wink

Unfortunately, I need to order some supplies to get going on the new structure.  :cry: .....But the mock up worked out well  Thumbsup

While I wait, I did get a new vehicle for the layout:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/221-30223

There it is at the far left:
[Image: nhEPTU.jpg]

I also got some track bumpers that I have sorely needed, so I'll be putting them together in the mean time.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 03-06-2011

I love that scene ... there's so much going on! I can come back and look at it again and again ... and if the camera looks at that location from a different viewing angle ... other new things will be discovered! It's a real slice of Americana!

Nice work, Young Master Steve!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 03-06-2011

Thank you biL....I really appreciate it!
I think another thing this pic shows, is that I need to seriously rethink the importance of back drop painting or adding some type of disguise so that the road doesn't drop off the edge of the earth. Many of the techniques used to do that, require more room than I can spare........I know that there are ways around it, and I will address those.....eventually. Icon_lol Big Grin Thumbsup

The biggest problem there, Steve, was the topic of discussion over on Gary's thread re: perspective. When something intersects the backdrop at 90 degrees, there's very little that can be done to integrate it into the scene seamlessly beyond making the effort to downplay, disguise and delete visually (or hide) the problem area by using view blocks and visual distractions to force the eye to "pass over" the area. Not ever a very easy task. But you are a creative guy, with some serious gray matter encapsulated within that cranium of yours ... you'll devise some highly creative way to all but make it go away! I sure of that!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 03-06-2011

Yeah...That scene is the focal point of the layout. It's incredibly "real". Worship
For those of us who lived in those times, it brings back fond memories of what "used to be"...
Is that new addition a Merc..??

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - MrBill - 03-06-2011

There's a guy out there who goes by "INRAIL" I think. He models the Pennsy in Indiana on narrow shelves and paints incredible fade to the horizon back drop road scenes. If I come across him again I'll link it up. It takes some sharp drawing and painting skills, but judging by you're work here, I'm sure you'll come up with something good.

Steamtrains Wrote:... For those of us who lived in those times, it brings back fond memories of what "used to be"...
Is that new addition a Merc..??

It's a 1959 Ford Fairlane 4-Door Sedan in splendiferous April Green and White Tu-Tone!

The Fairlane was Ford's mid-range model at that point,
with the Fairlane 500 as their top-of-the-line offering.
The Galaxy did not arrive on the scene until 1960.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 03-06-2011

Aahhh...Kissin' cousin to the Merc... Goldth

Thanks guys for the encouraging words!

MrBill Wrote:There's a guy out there who goes by "INRAIL" I think. He models the Pennsy in Indiana on narrow shelves and paints incredible fade to the horizon back drop road scenes. If I come across him again I'll link it up. It takes some sharp drawing and painting skills, but judging by you're work here, I'm sure you'll come up with something good.

I am very familiar with his masterful work:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28839&whichpage=1

His layout is quite a bit deeper than mine........and did I mention that he has more talent in his little finger, than I have in my entire body   :cry:  sad, but true  Goldth   Wink .  I have tried a few experiments that would try and duplicate his results, but as of yet, I haven't liked any of my results. Here was an early try:

[Image: E8s3Bv.jpg]

The problem came when you saw the scene in person....the angles were way off and weren't even remotely believable. I am not saying that it isn't doable, I just haven't been able to, though I have to admit, I haven't spent too much time trying yet either. Wink

I did finish my track bumpers though  2285_  so I guess that is progress of some kind....I'll post a pic when I get some planted.

Perpendicularity is the bugaboo!

It'll bite you the "bum" every time!

As promised, the Walthers track bumpers:

[Image: R9dM1G.jpg]

[Image: Vtf98W.jpg]

On the layout:

[Image: gttkax.jpg]

[Image: nQzmIi.jpg]

'BOUT TIME!  Goldth   Thumbsup

Wait! There's something new there?
Icon_lol Icon_lol Thumbsup Beautious!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 03-06-2011

Steve, the background scene in the photo looks wonderful from the angle at which you took the photo. But as you mention, as the viewing angle changes, it starts looking odd pretty quickly. I'm fighting with all that right now on my backdrop. About all I have found to do is put a bunch of trees and details to block off the unwanted viewing angles.

Of course, your layout olooks so good that the backdrop will hardly be noticed. Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 03-06-2011

Steve,

Great work as always, the posts look good and are well blended into the scene. I am really glad you are back posting and keeping us posted on your progress. I still really enjoy your grass tufts and the way everything is blended together. Keep up the great work on your layout and keep us up to date on everything you are doing.