Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 03-06-2011

Thanks biL Thumbsup
Gary and Greg.....Thank you Thumbsup .............Hopefully, we can all learn a little from each other. I know that after seeing your excellent work, I need to kick it up quite a few notches!!!! Thumbsup Wink Great modeling by both of you! Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 03-07-2011

Steve Wrote:Thank you biL....I really appreciate it!
I think another thing this pic shows, is that I need to seriously rethink the importance of back drop painting or adding some type of disguise so that the road doesn't drop off the edge of the earth. Many of the techniques used to do that, require more room than I can spare........I know that there are ways around it, and I will address those.....eventually. Icon_lol Big Grin Thumbsup

As I read this, memories of how the animators of Disney's "Bambi" used multiple level backdrop scenes, and as the characters moved across the foreground, they were able to shift the background at the different amounts needed, to give the correct change of view that is "normally seen" when moving. Yeah, I'm still looking for ways to improve "background", and with those memories, came one idea....no straight lines. This is why trees, and distant hills work so well, there's no straight lines to "lock" perspective........and yeah even that doesn't fix the problem of roads.
With enough depth of scene, roads could be risen to a hill crest, and extend just a bit behind the crest, so that at any normal viewing height, the road would simply "go over the hill", before "entering the backdrop".
357 I guess convincing "fades to backdrop" are among the "few good things" that do not come in narrow packages. Wink
Insert "Primal Scream Smilie" here: (____________)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 03-07-2011

Sumpter250 Wrote:... As I read this, memories of how the animators of Disney's "Bambi" used multiple level backdrop scenes, and as the characters moved across the foreground, they were able to shift the background at the different amounts needed, to give the correct change of view that is "normally seen" when moving. Yeah, I'm still looking for ways to improve "background", and with those memories, came one idea....no straight lines. This is why trees, and distant hills work so well, there's no straight lines to "lock" perspective........and yeah even that doesn't fix the problem of roads. ...

As a young boy, I was fascinated by the wonderment of Disney and dreamt of one day working as an animator for Walt. I sucked every bit of knowledge I could about how Disney Studios produced those incredible animated feature films (Pixar is the only animated film studio that holds a candle to the Walt Disney Studios films of the Forties and Fifties!) I practiced drawing Disney's characters until I could whip one up on a paper napkin in seconds, or put together a "flip-book animation" of Goofy or Donald bowing making some wild jesture in an hour or two.

But thanks, Pete, for reminding me of that technique ... I now sit here wondering if there just might be a way to develop something along those lines for model railroad backdrops? It would be difficult, to be sure, but one must have the attitude that nothing is impossible and pursue success. Making that happen would truly be "Imagineering" that Walt and his railroading sidekick, Ward Kimball would have appreciated!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 03-08-2011

P5se Camelback Wrote:But thanks, Pete, for reminding me of that technique ... I now sit here wondering if there just might be a way to develop something along those lines for model railroad backdrops? It would be difficult, to be sure, but one must have the attitude that nothing is impossible and pursue success.

If there is one chance in infinity.........it's possible.
The probability stinks, but it still is possible. Icon_twisted Big Grin Cheers

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 03-17-2011

OK....I'm still waiting for my building materials, but they have shipped, so I guess I can at least show what is coming up next.

Moving to the right side of the layout.......I will be doing the structure for the end wall past the crane:
[Image: JqzjRe.jpg]

After looking at LOADS of buildings, this one was chosen (although a name change may be in it's future):
[Image: 1XroP8.jpg]

It has some nice features and should be a good fit there. Here is a shot of the mock up:
[Image: ZLfHyH.jpg]

Hopefully the materials will be here tomorrow or the next day so I can get moving!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 03-17-2011

Steve,

This looks like a great canidate for the layout and really has a good feel to it. I am looking forward to your progress which I know you will be quick to produce Thumbsup

It looks like it has had some additions added to it over the years and will be interesting to see how you backdate the building and make this struture fill the need of your layout. Will this building be associated with the overhead traveling crane or is that a seperate industry?

Best of luck with the project and I look forward to the new buidling!!!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 03-17-2011

Boy, Steve, that building's a perfect prototype for a background structure: height and width, but almost no depth - a true "flat". Icon_lol

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 03-18-2011

There is a lot of detail in the face of that building, the little squares, and diamonds, and the changing brick colors, and sidewalk elevations. I can't imagine a better "End-of-the-shelf" scene than that. Good choice !!! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 03-23-2011

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Steve,

................It looks like it has had some additions added to it over the years and will be interesting to see how you backdate the building and make this struture fill the need of your layout. Will this building be associated with the overhead traveling crane or is that a seperate industry?
Greg, the building is not associated with the crane (that is for the NP freight house). In the real life scene, I could not get a clear pic of the building across the street from the freight yard, so this one was chosen instead. There will definitely be some back dating  Wink

doctorwayne Wrote:Boy, Steve, that building's a perfect prototype for a background structure: height and width, but almost no depth - a true "flat". Icon_lol

Wayne
Wayne, I cut out a pic of it and propped it up against the wall, and it looked pretty good.....I almost kept it there! Thumbsup

Sumpter250 Wrote:There is a lot of detail in the face of that building, the little squares, and diamonds, and the changing brick colors, and sidewalk elevations. I can't imagine a better "End-of-the-shelf" scene than that. Good choice !!! Thumbsup

Thanks Pete  Thumbsup
The sidewalk elevation change is a product of Google maps, and not there in real life (so luckily, I won't have to deal with that, I have enough to do already!  Goldth
[Image: ZUzv8a.jpg]

This is my first brick building, and I had no idea which brick product would look nice for this structure. As I have said many times in the past, my LHS STINKS!!!! They have next to nothing on hand to look at. Kurt really helped me out and suggested using some N scale brick sheets by Vollmer. They are embossed cardboard and very easy to work with (and they are very cheap in comparison to many other products out there). Thank you Kurt!  Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup

OK....A couple of progress pics
Styrene cut for front wall:
[Image: APFIVk.jpg]

Starting on the brick:
[Image: gkF45c.jpg]

In the mean time, I'll just keep laying brick....................... Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Harry - 03-23-2011

Steve Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 03-23-2011

Did those tiny little bricks come with a tiny little trowel to slap the ol' mortar on them..?? 357

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 03-24-2011

Embossed brick printed sheet has to be one of the greatest under-utilized products in the contemporary modeling scene. Mortar, color variation, even texture relief is all taken care of. No painting, mortar application, etc. Just line up the brick carefully and plan ahead then weather. Super job!

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - faraway - 03-24-2011

ocalicreek Wrote:Embossed brick printed sheet has to be one of the greatest under-utilized products in the contemporary modeling scene. Mortar, color variation, even texture relief is all taken care of. No painting, mortar application, etc. Just line up the brick carefully and plan ahead then weather. Super job!

Galen
Yep, I am watching this thread very carefully. I had always problems to get nice flanges where the nasty white card stock becomes visible. Steve will teach me how to.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 03-24-2011

Thanks guys!......except Gus! Goldth

faraway Wrote:
ocalicreek Wrote:Embossed brick printed sheet has to be one of the greatest under-utilized products in the contemporary modeling scene.  Mortar, color variation, even texture relief is all taken care of.  No painting, mortar application, etc.  Just line up the brick carefully and plan ahead then weather.  Super job!

Galen
Yep, I am watching this thread very carefully. I had always problems to get nice flanges where the nasty white card stock becomes visible. Steve will teach me how to.
Reinhard....I was hoping you would tell me!  Wink  
My advice is a very sharp knife, very fine sanding stick, and touch up paint that matches the brick.............more on technique as I get a little further along and figure out what I am doing.  Wink

A few progress pics (more details will be added):
[Image: Vg5De1.jpg]

[Image: fciiWy.jpg]

I got the windows today, so all my materials are here now.

Take care  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Puddlejumper - 03-24-2011

Looks great!