Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Catt - 03-28-2011

Steve here is another source for brick,in fact it's the one I use. http://clevermodels.squarespace.com/. The brickwork looks good and there are other textures available at a $1.25 a piece.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 03-28-2011

Thanks ... That's some pretty cool stuff!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-02-2011

Catt...I have seen that site before, and they do have nice looking downloads available. I prefer something with a 3D quality for brick however, but that is my choice, and I certainly see the advantages of using their products. Thank you for the tip!  Thumbsup   

OK...I added some signage, doors w/knobs and handle, electrical conduit, several fans to help back date to building a little, other odds and ends, and just loosely put the windows in place for the pic:

[Image: a5VWZO.jpg]

The small section on the upper right is clean and represents a newer addition
[Image: 7yWcUo.jpg]

Still have to do the window glazing, standpipe, steps and a little more signage, and this wall should be just about complete. The right side wall should be very simple, and then I can make the roof and finish this structure .  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 04-02-2011

Steve, you gotta admit it is looking real good. I always enjoy seeing your work - Castillo Cold Storage is still the most realistic model structure I have ever seen!

On the brick building, after you are done, will you spray it with dullcote or try to tone down the sharp colors any?

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 04-02-2011

Steve,

Another great building coming along nicely for the layout. It is amazing how just a little weathering and a few details can transform the looks of some sheet styrene. I am getting antsy to start on some structures for my new layout, other then the bridge, but I still have so much to do for the backdrop. Oh well, I will continue to enjoy your posts of great structures and dream of a day I to can build some buildings.

As a side note thanks for the link to that Euro Rail hobbies they have some great prices on stuff I was looking at on other sites.

Keep up the great work and keep posting!!!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - faraway - 04-02-2011

That is looking very good. You gave me the push I needed to try my own brick buildings on the upcoming layout. Thanks a lot for inspiration!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 04-02-2011

That's looking really good.... Thumbsup
Those fans have to have the smallest motors in existence....!!! are they AC as well..?? 357

P.D. I got a bunch of those track bumpers...Can you believe I haven't figured out how they go together..!! :oops:

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-03-2011

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Steve,

I am getting antsy to start on some structures for my new layout, other then the bridge, but I still have so much to do for the backdrop. Oh well, I will continue to enjoy your posts of great structures and dream of a day I to can build some buildings.

As a side note thanks for the link to that Euro Rail hobbies they have some great prices on stuff I was looking at on other sites.

Keep up the great work and keep posting!!!
Gary, your work on your backdrop (and all your other projects) is nothing short of amazing.......I can only imagine what your structures are going to look like!  Thumbsup

faraway Wrote:That is looking very good. You gave me the push I needed to try my own brick buildings on the upcoming layout. Thanks a lot for inspiration!
Reinhard....thank you, and you are welcome! Thumbsup

Steamtrains Wrote:That's looking really good.... Thumbsup
P.s. I got a bunch of those track bumpers...Can you believe I haven't figured out how they go together..!! :oops:
Gus....if you can't get those together, I'm afraid your engine building project is in serious jepordy!!! Goldth  Thumbsup

Gary S Wrote:Steve, you gotta admit it is looking real good.  I always enjoy seeing your work - Castillo Cold Storage is still the most realistic model structure I have ever seen!

On the brick building, after you are done, will you spray it with dullcote or try to tone down the sharp colors any?
Thank you for the kind words about Castillo Cold Storage. It is one that I am very proud of. I have tried to do better on all my builds as I go along. It hasn't always worked out that way though...... Icon_lol , but what ya gunna do?  Goldth
Now to answer your question about toning down the colors........The building looks "right" to me in person. My problem is with my pictures. I try and get the building to look the same in the pics, but I just can't seem to get a nice looking shot that doesn't wash out the weathering and enhance the colors. With that in mind, I took some pics of it when I took it outside to spray the inside of the windows with DullCote to cloud them up. I also finished the rest of the details. Please forgive the "hand of God" in the pics, as it was very windy here today  Thumbsup

[Image: yP7lvN.jpg]

[Image: jwTtpl.jpg]

I think the natural light captures more realistically the way it looks in person. Still, the weathering is a bit heavier in real life.

All that remains is to make the side wall, roof and finish the top of the chimney.  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-23-2011

Side wall
[Image: PEkYVb.jpg]

Next up, it is time start work on the side walk, street & freight yard. The inspiration pic (if I haven't already posted it) is this shot of a LV freight house and yard in Wilkes-Barre:
[Image: FPMg4i.jpg]
As you can see, cobblestone was used, and I will have to model it as well (lucky for me, Kurt recently did a tutorial on making it  Wink  )

Because of the shallow area of my shelf, I figured it would be a good idea to have the cobbles (and asphalt) go across the entire yard (including tracks) to allow truck traffic a larger portion of the yard to drive on.

This how the cobblestone and asphalt is to be laid out:
[Image: 5Sw1b3.jpg]

First step was to put down the plaster for both the yard, and the street and sidewalk in front of Midland Steel. After it set up, I cleared the flangeways for both the trains and crane:
[Image: 0Xiixf.jpg]

I also etched the lines for the sidewalk and painted it when the plaster was dry enough:
[Image: VIi0qJ.jpg]

Take care  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - P5se Camelback - 04-23-2011

That's going to be super, Steve!
... Hey! ... Super Steve!

Icon_lol

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 04-23-2011

Steve Wrote:Now to answer your question about toning down the colors........The building looks "right" to me in person. My problem is with my pictures.

[Image: Picture064smaller.jpg]

Yep, I gotta agree, that is looking real good. Were you using flash on the previous indoor pictures? Flash seems to make the colors more vivid than they really are. The outdoor shot is right on the money. Keep up the good work!

Oh.... I see your reply was on April 3rd. Don't know how I missed this! 35

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 04-23-2011

Steve Wrote:I also etched the lines for the sidewalk and painted it when the plaster was dry enough:
[Image: Picture079small.jpg]

Dood. That is just too good. Worship

Can't wait to see all that plaster carved for the cobblestones.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-24-2011

Gary S Wrote:Can't wait to see all that plaster carved for the cobblestones.

Well you won't have to wait too long  Wink

I've been working on this, here and there, for the last couple of weeks. Still a lot of finish work to do.

starting to carve out the cobblestones:
[Image: Hxza4F.jpg]

Beginning to ink-wash the stones:
[Image: MtMglg.jpg]

[Image: sjXn3X.jpg]

Painting asphalt:
[Image: vHG2cv.jpg]

[Image: SflfWJ.jpg]

[Image: nPwHBc.jpg]

[Image: JzMpZs.jpg]

Obviously carving the cobble stone was the most tedious part of this project. It was very easy in the smaller patches on the road.

More to follow as I progress

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 04-24-2011

Steve,

As always your work is very impressive. You have a keen since in blending each piece of your layout together in a seemless manner. What type of plaster are you using as I have some sidewalks and platforms I am trying to figure out how I am going to do them.

Keep up the great work!!!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - faraway - 04-24-2011

Your cobblestones are outstanding! It is unbelievable how much patience and time has been spend so far.