Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-05-2012

While I'm waiting on windows and doors from Tichy....I decided to do a little job that I have been putting off. Namely, assembling non-working lamps for some of my structures. It is an extremely simple process, but the parts are soooooo small, I kind of hate it. :evil:  Goldth

Anyway, the pictures tell the whole story pretty much. I used .019" stainless wire, and a pair of small round-nose pliers to shape it.
[Image: PynFNh.jpg]

[Image: IH6rpU.jpg]

While I'm at it, I will make a whole bunch of these and put them away for future projects. Right now I only need about 3 or 4. Although I find it challenging to work with these tiny parts, in the end it is worth it since it is another detail that makes structures a little more "real" looking.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Gary S - 05-05-2012

Steve, good to see you back working on the layout, and back at Big Blue. I've been spending my time developing and running ops sessions, but kind of been on again off again as for posting on the forum.

The lamp brackets look perfect. And you are right, the little detail parts make a big difference.

Looking forward to seeing much more of your progress.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - clearwater - 05-06-2012

Steve Wrote:
Gary S Wrote:Can't wait to see all that plaster carved for the cobblestones.

[Image: Yard035small.jpg]

Steve,

this looks like the way of "scratchwork" I do like best - anything home made Thumbsup

Thomas

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-08-2012

Gary....thank you  Thumbsup  Operational sessions are one phase of the hobby that I have not participated in, although I do find it very interesting. It certainly adds another dimension to our great hobby  Wink

Thomas...I find scratch-building very satisfying. I also enjoy the fact that I never quite know how it will turn out. It frees me to experiment and take chances that I might not on an expensive kit or product.  Thumbsup

As I wait for "stuff" to arrive, I thought it might be interesting to look at an experiment I tried with a photo taped to the back drop:

[Image: 999wcS.jpg]

This was a photo of the actual street that the house and elevator were located on. As you can see, it held some real promise.

Unfortunately, when looked at from an angle, the effect was less than desirable.

[Image: Bx08oZ.jpg]

If I had a little more depth to work with so I could alter the elevation of the ground where it meets the backdrop, I believe that the sharp angle effect could have been minimized. I could keep it removable for photo sessions, but it just isn't practical to leave on the layout permanently. I have to admit however, that I have not spent a great deal of time on this, so it might be doable with further work.............we shall see, but that must wait till after the other sections of the layout are finished  Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - modelsof1900 - 05-08-2012

Quote:[Image: Yard035small.jpg]

Absolute realistic details!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Puddlejumper - 05-09-2012

Very pleased to see this thread alive again! Welcome back Steve.

That cobblestoned lot looks fantastic.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-09-2012

Bernhard.....thank you so much!!!!! Coming from you, that just made my day! Thumbsup
Dave....Thank you! Thumbsup Thumbsup The modeling juices are flowing again..........finally Nope Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - cn nutbar - 05-10-2012

Steve---it's great to have you back on track.Your scenes have been a source of inspiration for ideas for my layout so I'm looking forward to your future threads Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 05-10-2012

Steve Wrote:Unfortunately, when looked at from an angle, the effect was less than desirable.

Curse Don't you just " love when that happens " Nope Nope Wink

The problem with a photo, or even a painted background, is that it only works at the viewing angle it was created at. As you move side to side, the "convergence point" moves in the same direction as the viewer, and the angles of straight lines going to that point also move . For everything except the background scene ( insert primal scream Smilie here ) Wallbang
Oh, and the horizon also moves in the direction of the viewer....it goes up with you, and down with you.
I would prefer not to have this tug "sail off the edge of the world", but extending water to the horizon ??? Aaarrrrrghhhhhh 357

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-10-2012

cn nutbar Wrote:Steve---it's great to have you back on track.Your scenes have been a source of inspiration for ideas for my layout so I'm looking forward to your future threads Thumbsup
Thank you Mr. Nutbar Thumbsup
You have always been an inspiration to me and I have loved looking at your beautiful photos all these years Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Pete....I love your maritime models....beautiful!! Worship

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-17-2012

The freight house is finally starting to take shape
[Image: 6XPDf5.jpg]

Test fitting the doors and windows (Tichy)
[Image: DRzJR2.jpg]

The two sections together are just over 20 inches (520mm) in length
[Image: UzcKoP.jpg]

Hey....it's a start at least  Goldth  Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 05-17-2012

Steve,

great to see you back at it!!

At least you are doing more than me 35

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - alpha_1 - 05-24-2012

Hi all! Superb modeling! So much to learn here. Thanks so much for sharing.

Cheers!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Tyson Rayles - 05-25-2012

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Harry - 05-26-2012

Cheers Cheers