Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 11-25-2012

OK, I'm getting better......last time I took a 1 yr break, this time it was "only" 1/2 a year  :oops:  Wink

After all that time, I decided that I wanted to do the building in wood instead of styrene, so I painted the shell so I could glue to it and used some scribed siding:

[Image: dy6QXj.jpg]

I wanted to use a NP color scheme (tan and brown) but in pics, the brown has a red tint to it.......I will be darkening up a bit:

[Image: ztDY67.jpg]

A ramp for the freight door:
[Image: j4sqyM.jpg]

I used Plastruct O-scale "old bricks" for the foundation (luv em).

Next post will be the roof.....

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - faraway - 11-26-2012

The hinges at the door are an outstanding detail!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 11-26-2012

faraway Wrote:The hinges at the door are an outstanding detail!
I wish I could take credit for them, but I certainly agree..... they do look nice  Wink

I cut the shingles and glued them to the sub-roof. In this pic I just loosely placed it on the house:

[Image: 3Be2rC.jpg]

Today I received the rest of the scribed siding I ordered, so I guess I will go back to siding the next section of the freight house, and finish that up.

Take care  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 11-26-2012

That's a great looking structure.... Thumbsup
It's going to be a terrific addition to your layout...(As if it needed MORE of them... Goldth )

Keep us updated...Great to see you back in harness... 2285_

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Ralph - 11-26-2012

The door is fantastic and I like the brown stripe trim on the bottom of the structure. Great looking building!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 11-26-2012

Steamtrains Wrote:That's a great looking structure.... Thumbsup
It's going to be a terrific addition to your layout...(As if it needed MORE of them... Goldth )

Keep us updated...Great to see you back in harness... 2285_

Gus, I really don't know what was going on with me modeling-wise.....I haven't had a burning desire to model for almost two years now. I did manage to get a few things done in that time, but it was a chore, not fun. I just kind of fell back into it this time, as a kind of diversion, and it has been fun again......I can't explain it. Maybe I was too intensive my first few years and just needed a loooooooooong break. Icon_lol

Ralph.....thank you! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - alpha_1 - 11-27-2012

Hi All;

Steve, you're doing a terrific job on your layout. I just went back and reread the whole thread. Great work! Cheers

Cheers,

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 11-27-2012

That's a lot of reading! Eek
Thank you for the kind words Gord Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 11-27-2012

I worked on the dock that is in front of the next section of the freight house. On my coal house I did the trestle deck board by board....I wasn't looking forward to that right now  Eek , so I used some more scribed siding instead:

[Image: OBjVRW.jpg]

[Image: SCZk3D.jpg]

I still need to do the next roof, make some trim pieces for both of the roof areas.......and glaze the windows..........I hate glazing windows almost as much as I hate balasting!  Wallbang  Wink

Take care  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - cn nutbar - 11-28-2012

Welcome back stranger Cheers

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 11-28-2012

Steve Wrote:I still need to do the next roof, make some trim pieces for both of the roof areas.......and glaze the windows..........I hate glazing windows almost as much as I hate ballasting! Wallbang Wink

Icon_lol Cheers Which is why, there is no window glazing in my Tour Ship ! :o 357 357 357

Nice weathering on the dock ! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Harry - 11-28-2012

Steve good work Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - cnw1961 - 11-28-2012

Steve, I bet you could build these structures blindfolded with one arm tied to your back and they would still look fantastic Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 11-28-2012

cn nutbar Wrote:Welcome back stranger  Cheers
Thank you sir! 

Sumpter250 Wrote:
Steve Wrote:I still need to do the next roof, make some trim pieces for both of the roof areas.......and glaze the windows..........I hate glazing windows almost as much as I hate ballasting! Wallbang Wink

Icon_lol Cheers Which is why, there is no window glazing in my Tour Ship ! :o 357  
Pete...your work is so good, you don't need no stinking glazing!!!!!!  Wink

Harry Wrote:Steve good work Thumbsup Thumbsup
Thank you Harry!  Thumbsup

cnw1961 Wrote:Steve, I bet you could build these structures blindfolded with one arm tied to your back and they would still look fantastic  
Kurt...I don't know about anything like that, but if you say it looks good, I must be doing something right  Wink
Thank you my friend! 

A little progress. I have the next section sided and painted. The dock is just in place for the pic:
[Image: xclJKd.jpg]

A close up.......no, I haven't done the glazing yet!  Wink
[Image: DjlBtx.jpg]

Tonight I was working on the roof for this section, and kind of messed it up.............pictures tomorrow.

Take care  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 11-29-2012

I was doing the shingles on the left section of the freight house and messed up. The  right side of the roof butts right up to the house section, and all that was in my mind was to keep the shingles flush to the edge of the roof. Well, I was on the last row of shingles when I realized that I didn't stagger them. I was so mad for being that dumb!!!  Wallbang

I had no more shingles, and not enough sandpaper to to do over again anyway. So, I tried wetting the roof in the hopes of loosening up a few rows of shingles to correct the problem. I managed to get 1 row out and then put back on, but I mangled the roof. Color was running everywhere, shingles were curling and loosening up. I was disgusted with myself, and just left the basement . I came back about an hour later, and realized that If I had planned to make a beat up old roof....I probably couldn't have done a much better job  Goldth  In fact, I kind of liked it so much, I beat up the other roof!
I have said before that I have done some of my best modeling when I mess up..............go figure  Icon_lol

I still need to tweak it some,  need to push some shingles back down (I think it is a bit over-done right now) but Like the way it generally looks. The pristine roof was just lacking something:

[Image: OwDWuT.jpg]

Maybe I'll get to the glazing tomorrow...... Goldth