Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - sailormatlac - 02-03-2013

Welcome aboard!

Those factories/warehouses are terrific!

Matt

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 02-03-2013

HI ray...Welcome aboard. Hope to see a lot more of what looks to be a great layout... Thumbsup

On another note....It's preferrable to start a new thread when introducing yourself, and posting pictures of one's own work... Goldth

Again...Nice to have you along for a great ride..11

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 02-03-2013

Welcome to Big blue, Ray. That's a great looking layout, and it would be well worth starting your own thread so that you can show us more.
The pictures put me in mind of Federal Street, a Proto 87 layout.

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - tetters - 02-04-2013

doctorwayne Wrote:Welcome to Big blue, Ray. That's a great looking layout, and it would be well worth starting your own thread so that you can show us more.
The pictures put me in mind of Federal Street, a Proto 87 layout.

Wayne

Cheers I'd like to see more too. Big Grin

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - long island jack - 02-04-2013

Sorry,didn't mean to step on any bodies toes.
I'm in the process of taking some pictures of the layout,when i've got a few sorted i will start a thread on "59th and Rust".

Good friends with J H Wright the creator of Federal st,think some of his layouts may have rubbed of on me!!
lets hope i don't have the same happen with another good friend Jon Grant and his marvellous Sweethome Alabama!!!

Ray

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 02-04-2013

Ray, you're hangin' with a pretty talented bunch, and I'd say that you fit right in.

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 01-19-2014

Hey Guys! I had to go back about 4 pages to find this thread....but that's what happens when you don't do anything for about 11 months  :oops:   Wink

I am working on the middle structure in the area to the left of the yard (if any of you can remember where that is)  Goldth

[Image: o9HIkC.jpg]

I found this old pic of a former International Harvester Corp. building and thought it looked like it would be interesting to model.

[Image: uuXhU3.jpg]

All the pieces cut:

[Image: FVJzGB.jpg]

This is a background building  and will be very shallow and will need quite a bit of compression to make this structure fit in the space available. I am using JTT brick sheets for this project.

Brick work tomorrow...

Take care  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Tyson Rayles - 01-20-2014

It looks like a model building flat. A case of real life imitating art!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - JohnyBotto - 01-20-2014

Glad to see you are back! Your modeling is always enjoyable and top notch.
Can't wait to see the progress.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - IndyCity - 01-20-2014

Steve,

I'm not sure that the proportions are right.

For me the first floor is much longer to the left.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - bdw9535 - 01-20-2014

Steve,

Always enjoyed your modeling, nice to see you back.. Do you have any idea what this building was used for, with the boarded up windows was it a showroom for IH products?

Bruce

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 01-20-2014

Tyson Rayles Wrote:It looks like a model building flat. A case of real life imitating art!
That is the first thing I thought of when I first saw the pic! The prototype is really very wide at the other (left end) though.

JohnyBotto Wrote:Glad to see you are back! Your modeling is always enjoyable and top notch.
Can't wait to see the progress.
Thank you John!  Thumbsup

IndyCity Wrote:Steve,

I'm not sure that the proportions are right.

For me the first floor is much longer to the left.
Joerg, the whole structure has been compressed. In the prototype, the section of the building with the 2 floors is basically a rectangle, on the model it is a square. the structure has been shortened to fit the space available. I agree that I will be changing it considerably, but I hope I can retain the "feel" of the original. BTW...I checked out your thread...excellent work sir!  Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup

bdw9535 Wrote:Steve,

Always enjoyed your modeling, nice to see you back..  Do you have any idea what this building was used for, with the boarded up windows was it a showroom for IH products?

Bruce

Hi Bruce and thank you for the kind words  Thumbsup
My guess would a showroom (because of the large windows) but I unfortunately don't know the history behind it. When I was originally looking at this building I mentioned to my friend that the large boarded windows would have to go (they would not be needed track side), to which he replied "that's why they boarded them up!" You can't argue with that kind of common sense logic! lol.  Goldth  That is a good friend right there.

Progress?

I painted and weathered the bricks:
[Image: Grj6t3.jpg]

In all honesty, I'm really not sure about it. It looks OK but not totally what I had envisioned. I thought about re-doing it, but I will work on the structure a little more and see if it grows on me. Opinions?

Thank guys  Thumbsup

Steve

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - bdw9535 - 01-20-2014

Steve,

It's your model, so whatever your happy with. Since you asked for opinions shouldn't the brick and mortar color be darker?

Bruce

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 01-21-2014

Steve Wrote:
Tyson Rayles Wrote:It looks like a model building flat. A case of real life imitating art!
That is the first thing I thought of when I first saw the pic! The prototype is really very wide at the other (left end) though.
Steve

The left end being wider than the right end, is what I thought when I saw the photo.
The building's "footprint" then, would be more like a triangle with one of the corners ( right hand end ) cut off?
Interesting structure. Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 01-21-2014

I am going to continue to work on the structure and add the trim etc. (have to get some styrene strips). I will be repainting it after some more experimentation. I will get it right.....hopefully Wink

Pete...you are right, a very interesting structure indeed. I have a pic of it looking from the left side. I will post it tomorrow. Thumbsup