Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 02-03-2014

Steve, I do like what you are doing here, and enjoy seeing your progress. Yeah, I'll be watching this one to the end....I know there is something to be learned here.....maybe even more than "just" something. Wink Cheers

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 02-03-2014

Reinhard, Larry, and Pete...Thank you guys for the encouragement and kind words  Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup

Doors

First I took some scrap pieces of wood that were larger than the doorways on the structure, held the pieces behind the openings and traced the outline with a pencil. I then put together some very simple doors using the traced lines as a guide. The frames are glued right to the scrap wood....very easy:
[Image: MzBGLw.jpg]

Sloppily painted white and scuffed up a bit:
[Image: NGcsmq.jpg]

Just taped in place to get an idea of how it would look:
[Image: kFQLU1.jpg]

Still needs the knobs of course. I think that darker doors would have matched the prototype better, but since these are going under the awning and will be in shadow, I am hoping that the white will at least make them visible to the eye. We shall see.  Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - fast car - 02-04-2014

Steve,

That's remarkable. I never would have thought of that as a way to place doors in openings. Obviously, this method can be used with a sheet plastic scraps and strip plastic.

Definitely thinking outside the box.

Larry

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 02-04-2014

Larry,
I mostly use Tichy doors. but I have made a few on occaision. I used to try and get all those pieces to fit nicely together and be "perfectly sized" for the opening...only to find that the door was just a wee bit big and I would have to sand it down or modify the opening. This just speeds up the process for me and my "gorilla mitts". Goldth

You can see by looking at the close ups of the doors that they are not perfect, but that was alright because I want them to look "beat up".....and really, let's be honest, nobody will ever really be able to see them Wink I mean they may "know" that there are doors there, but their eyes will look right past them. They would take more notice if they weren't there.

I will now begin on the downspouts before I do the windows. I will be handling the building quite a bit and don't want to do that with the windows glued in. First I will see what I can do with styrene....I may have to use brass if I can't make the plastic look right.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 02-05-2014

Steve Wrote:Reinhard, Larry, and Pete...Thank you guys for the encouragement and kind words

Big Grin Big Grin Don't be fooled, the encouragement is just to keep you going.........so we can post more "kind words" 357 357
.............like; .. Interesting technique on those doors, I'll have to remember that. Wink Thumbsup Thumbsup Big Grin Big Grin

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 02-05-2014

Steve,

Glad to see you back at working on the layout. I really like the new building and think it will be a great addition to your layout. I like how all of your structures are unique but fit so well together to tell the whole story.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 02-09-2014

Thank you Pete and Greg  Thumbsup  Thumbsup

It is not that easy for me to pick structures. I looked around for quite a bit before I found this one. I try and find structures that would be interesting to model and look like they belong on the layout....but I don't mind looking  Big Grin  Wink

Finished the down spouts. I wound up using styrene:

[Image: 2unu1p.jpg]

[Image: HIpbeh.jpg]

I've been putting in a lot of hours at work, so the progress is slow, but I am trying to do at least a little something every evening.
Hopefully I will get more done this week  Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Painkiller - 02-10-2014

The building looks good and the way you made the doors is interesting enough for me to give it a try.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 02-21-2014

Thank you PK  Thumbsup

Well, it was a crazy 2 weeks or so at work, which didn't leave much time for modeling, but I have finally had some time to get back at it.

I have put the windows in and did the treatments. I also got started on the canopy.

First from the back side. I used tissue for the white curtains and a small ribbon for the one with green drapes. If you go back to the proto picture, you will see a lamp in the top right window, so I tried to include it:
[Image: GEBcZ8.jpg]

Looks a little better from the front  Wink  :
[Image: BqGAHW.jpg]

The "steel" beam is an Evergreen styrene 1/8" (3.2 mm) "H column".  More on that as I progress. I should have some time this weekend to keep moving forward....I hope  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 02-21-2014

Ohhh man...You're killing me....A LAMP..?!?!! Eek

Great detailing on those downspouts... Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - modelsof1900 - 02-22-2014

Simple and really great looking!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - IndyCity - 02-22-2014

wonderful.

awesome scratch building.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Catt - 02-22-2014

Does the lamp work? :mrgreen:

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 02-22-2014

Steamtrains Wrote:Ohhh man...You're killing me....A LAMP..?!?!! Eek

Not just "A lamp", "The" lamp. I'm lovin' it. Like the drapes. I used the same technique on the Tour Ship curtains. Those had to be tied back. You can see the ones in the forward windows of the main deck cabin. ( the upper windows are the pilot house )
I'll have to remember the decorative ribbon for drapes. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 02-22-2014

Sumpter250 Wrote:
Steamtrains Wrote:Ohhh man...You're killing me....A LAMP..?!?!! Eek

Not just "A lamp", "The" lamp. I'm lovin' it. Like the drapes. I used the same technique on the Tour Ship curtains. Those had to be tied back. You can see the ones in the forward windows of the main deck cabin. ( the upper windows are the pilot house )
I'll have to remember the decorative ribbon for drapes. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Tsk...tsk...No ribbons..?? When you do put them on...Make sure you tie a proper bow on them.... 357