Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 02-22-2014

Sumpter wrote:
Not just "A lamp", "The" lamp. I'm lovin' it. Like the drapes. I used the same technique on the Tour Ship curtains. Those had to be tied back. You can see the ones in the forward windows of the main deck cabin. ( the upper windows are the pilot house )
I'll have to remember the decorative ribbon for drapes. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

When you do add the ribbons, make sure you tie a proper bow on them... 357

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 02-22-2014

Bernhard and Joerg...Thank you very much for the kind words!

Steamtrains Wrote:Ohhh  man...You're killing me....A LAMP..?!?!!   Eek

Great detailing on those downspouts... Thumbsup
Gus, Thank you sir!  Thumbsup
I never put anything behind windows except shades or curtains, but as I was looking at closeups of the structure to get the downspouts and trim right, I did notice the lamp and thought it would add some interest:
[Image: wsuGyP.jpg]

Pete...I always love to see pics of your work!
The patience that you possess blows my mind....not to mention the talent 

Here is the ribbon I used....I bought it for the old layout about 6 or 7 years ago
[Image: WzENm8.jpg]

Just about finished.....I will add a few extra details when it gets planted on the layout. I am still up in the air about adding the air conditioners because although a/c was around at the time I'm modeling, I don't think you'd find it on this run down building (10 yrs later maybe). We'll see.  Wink

The cinder block wall is in place to support the beam (as are the columns). I used Campbell's corrugated metal for the canopy:
[Image: SfAaFY.jpg]

A little closer look:
[Image: OHIOe7.jpg]

Other side:
[Image: PJ05md.jpg]

The font on the proto sign was pretty weird (especially the word " Industries") so I did the best I could. The columns are styrene but the hand rail is some .019" (0.48 mm) wire:
[Image: 2029jH.jpg]

Obviously, I found the bike and lil' red wagon  Thumbsup  Wink
The building medallion should be on the side of the building (no room) but I liked it enough to put it on the backside:
[Image: bl4Gzp.jpg]

Well, that is about it for this one. If the weather cooperates, I may get a few pics outside tomorrow.
On to the next building....not sure what it will be yet  Nope

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 02-22-2014

Great job...Love the bike & wagon..!!

Sorry to see this one go...
Look forward to your next project..!! If it's half as good as this one, it'll be something great as well...!! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 02-23-2014

Very nicely-done, Steve....an "ordinary" building made extraordinary. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - sailormatlac - 02-23-2014

Great little building! You really captured the prototype nicely. That medallion is awesome, a 30s must have!

Matt

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 02-23-2014

Gus, Wayne, and Matt...thank you guys! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Having only modeled sporadically over the last several years, I really didn't get comfortable doing this structure until It was about complete. It is funny how much you forget in a relatively short period of time....I'm sure my age has nothing to do with it Goldth That being said, it was a really fun build (except for my inability to paint brick Nope ) and it is pretty much as I envisioned it. The prototype has just enough "things going on" to make it interesting without being "quirky", and it should look good nestled between the 2 other buildings in this area.

On with my search for the next structure Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 02-23-2014

Steamtrains Wrote:Tsk...tsk...No ribbons..?? When you do put them on...Make sure you tie a proper bow on them.... 357

Icon_twisted Icon_twisted .....and what do you consider a "proper bow " ? ......a long bow?, a cross bow?, a re-curved bow? 357

Actually, there would be an occasional drape that might require a bow in the tieback. :oops: but I haven't been there in a long, long, time Icon_twisted Big Grin .
A funeral home might be another place, but I hope it is a long, long time before I have need of one of those Eek Icon_twisted

Oh, Yes, I can hit the broad side of a barn, from the outside, with both a re-curved bow, and a long bow 357 357
Never had a chance to fire a cross bow. Sad

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Painkiller - 02-23-2014

LOOKS AWESOME!!! 2285_

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 02-23-2014

Just use your well-founded discretion as to the choice of bow.... 357

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 02-24-2014

Steve Wrote:Pete...I always love to see pics of your work Worship
The patience that you possess blows my mind....not to mention the talent Thumbsup
Icon_twisted 357 Icon_twisted
You didn't see me last night, trying to rig the Stays'l sheets on the pilot schooner model, it took three tries ! Confusedhock:
Oh, and quite a bit of "blue air"! Eek Icon_twisted 357
Surprised as I am, I have to admit, at 70 years, my hands are still fairly steady, and I was able to get the slacked lines running to the port side, to lay fairly naturally on deck. ( a little "wet" water, and just the right weight in just the right places helped. )

Oh !!! "Little Red Wagon" looks good !!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup ( Wink so does the motor cycle )
A N D .........excellent trees !!!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 03-09-2014

Thanks guys!  Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup

I am still not quite sure about the next structure, so while I am making up my mind, I decided to add more trash and weeds to the freight yard. It is pretty overgrown in the proto pics.

I began by darkening up the cobble stone mortar lines (which I think was a much needed improvement) and then just added weeds and clutter:
[Image: JqVBA7.jpg]

Oh yeah....I made a box and threw some chain in it  Wink
[Image: YWFkDN.jpg]

[Image: WQv4k7.jpg]

Now "all" it needs is crates, barrels, people, cars, and loads....piece of cake

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 03-09-2014

WoW...!! Love those scenes..!!! Thumbsup

How/where did you get that cobblestone..?? Fantastic..!!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - faraway - 03-09-2014

Phantastic!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - IndyCity - 03-10-2014

Wow.

Awesome.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 03-10-2014

The paper and weeds really are looking good.

The wood debris is neat, but I have noticed that unless they are actively unloading most places do not leave a bunch of dunnage in the walking path. Slips Trips & Falls have always been a big issues regardless of era. I have seen where they usually have a place to pile up the materials to keep it out of the way. I have seen where they is just a designated area, other times they have a frame or small structure to stack the wood in.

Either way it really looks great!!