Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ratled - 05-08-2016

The Narrow package thread is back!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing what's next! Just because I can, I think I'll go back to page 1 and enjoy all over again

ratled

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 05-11-2016

Steve

I saw that you had appeared back on the forum making a few posts and I was hoping to see an update from you. Will you be using the Monster Model Works line of brick?

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-15-2016

Hi Guys...

Greg, I will be using Micro Mark brick sheets. I have wanted to try them for a while now and will give everyone a full report  Wink

I went through all of my supplies on hand and wound up having to order Tichy windows & the brick sheets. I am also waiting for a tank car that I got on Ebay.

This stucture is going to be approx. 28 inches (711 mm) long. The 3 buildings together are almost 5 ft. long (1.5.meters). That is a pretty nice size background
[Image: LbYw3J.jpg]

Working on drawings now...

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-18-2016

My tank car arrived today....almost looks too nice to "park it" permanently.....but I will  Wink

[Image: bhMyWJ.jpg]

After a good bit of weathering, I think it will be a nice eye catcher for the scene.
I wish the bricksheets and windows would hurry up and arrive...............

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 05-18-2016

Steve-

The tank car looks nice and would probably be still running around in your era. Many cars that are damaged would be sold off to third parties so maybe adding some damage to give it a reason to be sold off to the plant. Another option is to use an older style tank car that would be more likely to be retired from service due to age.

Just a thought.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 05-19-2016

I agree with Greg: that tank car is a bit too modern for your intended use. Model Die Casting once offered a kit for an old time tank car (smallish tank on a high frame) and there should be some of them kicking around somewhere on-line.
Here's some photos.
Another option, even easier to find and cheaper, would be the old Tyco and/or Lifelike (Proto-no-thousand) cars.

Don't let the e-bay prices deter you....any decent hobby shop will have them on their "used" table, usually for a buck-or-so, and I've seen them at garage sales for a quarter. You can dress 'em up with some wire grabs and, if you plan on using it as a car still on its trucks, with some brake gear. I had a number of them, which have gone to my good friend Mister cn nutbar (the paint schemes were too modern for my back-dated layout). Perhaps he'll post a photo.
If you can't find one at a decent price, let me know, as the hobbyshop just down the road from me usually has several in their stock of used stuff. If you're interested, let me know in a PM.

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - cn nutbar - 05-19-2016

Here you go Doc and Steve---this tank car is still very much in active service on the Leetown Division

[Image: f4dd9559-f7dc-4348-a92a-246582e9ebb7_zpspi1dw5aj.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 05-19-2016

Thanks, Ed. That's the one I had in mind, too. Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-22-2016

I found an "old time" tanker car, so era will no longer be a problem Wink .

Right now I am re-working some Tichy windows to look more like the prototype....pictures to follow as I progress Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - modelsof1900 - 05-24-2016

[Image: oil-lamps_21.jpg]

Yes, the right caption - Good things come in narrow packages!
And what's to do with these beads? Answer comes in week, after my vacation in France - "Castles and gardens".

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-29-2016

Should be an intersting project Bernhard  Thumbsup

I got the new tank car:
[Image: Dqseaf.jpg]

[Image: Dqseaf.jpg]

Now back to work........on my honey-do list  :cry:

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 05-29-2016

Yeah I like the look of that one much better for the purpose intended.

I totally understand about the honey do's, I have been able to do some work in the garage while the kids play in the front yard.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 05-30-2016

I managed to get a little done. The front wall is cut out:

[Image: 4Voyef.jpg]

[Image: jxJtqF.jpg]

Next is side walls and bracing.
More as I progress...

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - modelsof1900 - 06-03-2016

Time of vacation is over, French's castles and gardens were a great experience!
Here the small mystery of the "seedbeads" - use as glass bodies for illuminated kerosene lanterns.

[Image: nw_caboosecg-32k.jpg]

Maybe that a description will be published in MRH mag in next time, MRH staff asked for an artikle "How to build them?"

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - mountaingoatgreg - 06-03-2016

Steve,

looks to be another great structure to add to the layout.

Than tank car will be a neat little detail.