Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 06-23-2016

I like the way you think Pete! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 06-26-2016

In the front of this scene will be a scrap yard with a looooooong fence. I will put the groundcover down on the backside of where it will be, so I don't have to work over it. I removed all the structures and painted the foam a light brown:
[Image: T54xy0.jpg]

Next I will have to screen some soil....hope I have enough for this section. Not really sure   :oops:

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 06-26-2016

Steve Wrote:Next I will have to screen some soil....hope I have enough for this section. Not really sure :oops:

Steve, tile grout works quite nicely to represent dirt, and comes in a wide variety of colours. If I recall correctly, a 1lb. bag of it was only a buck. You can mix it with real dirt and/or ballast, etc., and it's applied dry, as you would any scenic material. I did some test sections of track using it, and, after pre-wetting it, also applied dilute white glue. Ground foam and static grass can probably be done in the same operation, or afterwards, too.

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-02-2016

Wayne,
I use a mixture of dirt and grout, especially when I'm going for the darker soil look found in a lot of industrial areas.
I did the dirt in the areas surrounding the scrap yard and turned my attention to the yard fence.

I decided to try Bar Mills "InstaFence" for that scrap yard. The boards are on a sprue to hold the spacing:
[Image: PTobgs.jpg]

After putting the sections together, I gave it a wash of gray paint thinned with alcohol:
[Image: JQyYHb.jpg]

[Image: 7ksFw2.jpg]

[Image: FaPL4j.jpg]

Next I'll finish the ground cover...or at least the dirt, and start placing "junk".

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-05-2016

Got the dirt down:
[Image: NQ5MjA.jpg]

Also I started working again on the Erie B-2 steam crane...very slow going:
[Image: f4UxaW.jpg]

I will be glad when I'm done with this model. I find it very frustrating to work with tiny parts  Wallbang  but whatcha gunna do?  Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - long island jack - 07-06-2016

Steve

We had a Erie steam shovel at a local narrow gauge railway(in UK) , fascinating to watch, got a few photos from different angle somewhere if you need them.

Ray

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-06-2016

Ray...that looks great!....if you have any pics you want to share....post away!

I tried to rustle up as many proto and model pics as I could. I found a modeled version of a steam shovel where the side panels/doors were left off (better to show off all the gears and boiler and such). That is what I'm planing to do. If I don't like it, I will add the sides later. Wink

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - long island jack - 07-07-2016

Ray

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - long island jack - 07-07-2016

hope these are of some help

Ray

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-07-2016

Ray,
Thank you so much! Yes that will help alot. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-07-2016

Got most of it together. I will paint it now before attaching the boom:
[Image: Cg3gVu.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-09-2016

All done with the painting:

[Image: L1ZT5E.jpg]

[Image: Lz8kdd.jpg]

[Image: QRFYIz.jpg]

I think after seeing it in pictures, I will tone down some of the lighter rust but other than that...I like the way it came out.
Now on to the rigging........... :cry:

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 07-10-2016

I toned down the rust and I think it looks a lot better. The rigging was a royal pain but the lines are pretty taut and except for a little "fuzz" on the thread in a few places, I am satisfied. I will probably find a figure or two to put inside the cab, but this one is done:

[Image: r6XYwS.jpg]

[Image: FA0xlo.jpg]

[Image: E7Rt9K.jpg]

I like the way the rust came out on the bottom of the water tank:
[Image: JkWVgb.jpg]

[Image: LvvDBU.jpg]

Next I need to make some scrap.... Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - TrainNut - 07-11-2016

Very nice Steve. Well done. I really like the way the rust turned out as well.
I'm in the planning stages of a new layout and was just thinking about the bridge on your last layout a couple days ago. I'll have to remember where that was at so I can go find it and look at a picture for reference.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 07-11-2016

WoW..!! You outdid yourself..
I can't believe you actually built that boom piece by piece...I would have stumped on it after a couple of hours messing with it...

A sure winner in the model of the year category... Applause