Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 08-17-2016

I agree Greg....it takes a lot of "junk" to make a junk yard  Wink

Just a little more to do around the shed but I'm almost finished:
[Image: w9Sjhq.jpg]

Added more weeds and signs:
[Image: p1PXUv.jpg]

[Image: lDUbJb.jpg]

[Image: xignF8.jpg]

[Image: Kcdrlv.jpg]

Added some tanks...still too neat around the shed but I will fix that
[Image: i0bIhO.jpg]

Next post will wrap up the scrap yard  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 08-17-2016

That's coming along very nicely, Steve. Applause Applause

Steve Wrote:[Image: IMG_0509%20small.jpg]

There's a blast from the past....Athearn?

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - cn nutbar - 08-17-2016

I'll bet Mike and Frank from the American Pickers show would like this scene as much as I do---excellent scene Steve, especially the signage on the fence Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - faraway - 08-18-2016

The details of waste and junk are great Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 08-18-2016

Thank you guys! I appreciate the kind words.

Wayne...I'm not sure if it is an Athearn. It was a gift from Gus (Steamtrains) quite a few years ago, perhaps he knows....
I looked all over it for any markings and could not find any. I do love that car though Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 08-31-2016

I am pretty much done with the scrap yard. I just "dirty-ed" things up a bit. blackened the coal bin, added stains on the ground, put a couple of boards under the tanks:
[Image: ovBAVJ.jpg]

I grimed up the track and added stains on the soil around it:
[Image: H9JSz3.jpg]

Most other things remain as they were in earlier pics. I am happy with the way it all turned out, I just wish I had a deeper area to work with....oh well  Wink

On to the next project....

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Genetk44 - 09-01-2016

Looks darn great to me!!!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - modelsof1900 - 09-01-2016

Steve, great scenes and very nice modeling! Congratulation!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - sailormatlac - 09-02-2016

Excellent work Steve! I generally don't like scrap yard scenes because they are cliché and often a cluttered mess, but yours is truly beautiful wit hthe right amount of trash, just enough funny elements (the carwash sign and funny signs plastered on the shed) and realistic overall arrangement. Lovely!

What's your next project?

Matt

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 09-04-2016

Thanks guys!
I never really gave the scrap yard much thought until I needed to come up with the scrap itself....wasn't as easy as I imagined. The narrowness of the area was a challenge and there was a very long section of fence too close to the track to place scrap in front of, so I decided that the owner of this yard collected signs and placed them about. The rest of it just kind of evolved  Wink

Well Matt, you asked what is my next project?...well I actually have completed it. Originally the track plan called for a small structure to the right of the coal house (next to the road). As I built up the surrounding area and structures, I decided against putting anything in that small area.....until I stumbled upon this website https://myp48.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/featured-modeler-chuck-yungkurth/ and this structure:
[Image: 7I6tAK.jpg]

To model this structure I used a combination of wood and card stock. I will show a couple of progress pics but it is really just a straight forward "box" build:

[Image: RbSZ1t.jpg]

[Image: U99Quz.jpg]

Unfortunately I couldn't make the structure quite as long as the prototype, so it is a little more square looking  Sad
[Image: JwyFBr.jpg]

Needed hinges for the big doors:
[Image: 4erU5Q.jpg]

Just made them out of plain copy paper:
[Image: 2gxPAa.jpg]

Hardest part of this build was trying to imitate the font on the signs and getting the paint color right....I think they are close enough:
[Image: Hu1Idb.jpg]

[Image: yDFXQc.jpg]

[Image: VF4bi7.jpg]

All in all it was a very easy and enjoyable build....now I need to "excavate" to place this on the layout  Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - faraway - 09-05-2016

That is a nice little structure. How did you do the lettering? Is it printed on paper glued to the model?

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 09-05-2016

Reinhard,
I did print them on paper but I didn't want them to follow the contour of the clapboard siding, so I glued them on the thinnest card stock I had (a manila folder) and then applied the frame on top.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - cn nutbar - 09-05-2016

Another gem Steve---beautiful model Cheers

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - sailormatlac - 09-08-2016

Impressive Steve! Mundane, ordinary, beaten up yet still standing... Cardboard scratchbuilt structures always look so realistic with their surface imperfection.

Matt

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 09-12-2016

Thank you guys!  Thumbsup  Thumbsup
I like modeling ordinary structures. If you get them "right" they are always eye-catchers.

I have begun getting the area ready for planting the structure:
[Image: SjO5A8.jpg]

[Image: 5gKlBg.jpg]

Going to need a retaining wall to level out the terrain. I used coffee stirrers (distressed with a saw blade and a knife). Weathering was done using ink-wash and chalk:
[Image: m5Rxdm.jpg]

[Image: 3pJ7cE.jpg]

I will use Sculpta-Mold to level it all out....more pics as I progress.