Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 03-31-2009

Guys...It is always great to have your encouragement and support! Thumbsup Thank you all very much!
Russ....I am modeling the Upper Midwest. NP went as far east as Wisconsin so...I will be going from prototype pics that I have already collected of appropriate areas. Kurt and I have spent tons of time going through pictures, kicking ideas back and forth (which has become one of the more enjoyable parts of this whole process)....anyway, as "landscaping" begins, I'll share some of the inspiration pics so we will all know how much I "missed the mark" by! Goldth

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 03-31-2009

Coal House

This particular coal house is based on protypical photos I found. Kurt was kind enough to do the "heavy lifting" and figure out how to turn those pics into a model

[Image: pu2yTY.jpg]

This project (like the Wollenberg Elevator) is going to be wood over cardboard. This time around, instead of clapboard siding, it will made with hundreds of individual boards. For a good overview of the proceedure check out Kurt's excellent packing house thread:

http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154403

This is a very tedious process, but the results are worth it (They better be!) Goldth

[Image: Pc0gbY.jpg]

[Image: psnrkc.jpg]

The long section is the back wall of the trestle. For the lower section where the bins will cover most of the wall, I left the wood strips long to save work and so there would not be seams showing between the bin walls........OK, it was mostly to save work!....LOL!
[Image: maDI2m.jpg]

Here I have used MS Paint to try and give an idea of how the trestle and bins will be set up. The entire structure is 2'-3" long. That's a lot of 3" boards! (I lost track at 350)
[Image: d60jqs.jpg]

Now I need a vacation!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Bigsteel - 04-01-2009

i feel your pain steve,my sawmill is individual boards too....never ever again will i do individual boards by choice Misngth ,but yours looks great Thumbsup ! the individual boards do look better up close than scribed though....--josh

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 04-01-2009

Steve...Great to "see" you've been slaving over your layout...!!! Thumbsup

What I don't see are the pictures...just the dreaded red "X" boxes.... Eek

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 04-01-2009

Now I can see 'em...!!! (Must'a had a glitch this AM.) That structure looks to be a beauty...! But board x board..?? That's taking it a bit too far....Next thing we'll know, you and Kurt will be bypassing the glue and use teenie nails to put things together...!!! Good job..!! Thumbsup
Look forward to more updates....

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - eightyeightfan1 - 04-01-2009

Brass....
Board by board construction.
I'm envious of you guys talent.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Bigsteel - 04-02-2009

steve,if you wanto to get crazy with the boards,i use a really pointy soft tipped art pencil to put in "nail holes",they look pretty convincing even up close.--josh

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 04-02-2009

Quote:steve,if you wanto to get crazy with the boards,i use a really pointy soft tipped art pencil to put in "nail holes",they look pretty convincing even up close.--josh

Oh no you dit-ent! Confusedhock: 24

Just to offer an alternative point of view on this highly controversial topic (nail holes), check your prototype photos closely. If you can't see them there, unless you REALLY want them, don't put them on the model! Again, this is a highly subjective decision based on personal preference.

For instance - a picture of the guard tower I'm working on now shows two nail HEADS per board on the outside of a stringer, with each pair of dots lined up with each stair step. They really show up in the photo because of the streaks of rust running down beneath each nail head. I'm assuming they are nail heads, not bolts or screws, but I could be totally wrong. Point is, they show up well because of the rust. A newer structure may not show any sign of them at all. It's a neat detail I plan on modeling since I want the structure to look well-aged and not-so-well cared for.

If you do use them, Josh's trick is a great one! A mechanical pencil works well too. Just don't go overboard, unless that's the effect you are after. I'm sure whatever you decide to do will look outstanding. You have a natural knack for modeling and your artistry will shine in a great structure like this one. Thumbsup

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-02-2009

Thank you guys!... Thumbsup
Josh...your saw mill is so sweeeeeeet!
Gus....tiny nails?.....that's a great idea! Goldth  Wink
88....on this project it is less about talent, and more about patience....and brother, this one is trying mine!...LOL
Galen.....thank you for the very kind words, my friend  Thumbsup

There are no nail holes showing in the proto pics but I may do just a few....there are plenty of other details that will be included on this model.

I did the freight doors over the last couple of nights. After I paint everything I will add the hardware. The very top opening was done like the prototype, the others I embellished a bit because they are totally plain in real-life....blahhhhh.

[Image: H2eqhN.jpg]

[Image: uTDQrA.jpg]

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Jesso - 04-02-2009

Beautiful! The doors turned out great! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Bigsteel - 04-02-2009

thats such a cool structure steve Thumbsup ,now for a stupid question,i've seen them everywhere before but wqhat is the point of the 2nd and 3rd floor doors? is it just to ease bringing stuff into the above floors? or they loadin monster panel trucks Misngth ?--josh

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 04-03-2009

Quote:I did the freight doors over the last couple of nights. After I paint everything I will add the hardware. The very top opening was done like the prototype, the others I embellished a bit because they are totally plain in real-life....blahhhhh.

Ain't that just the beauty of this hobby? We don't have to build it exactly like real life, unless we really want to. Embelishments can abound and we can pack our layouts or dioramas or shelves, whatever, with all the best scenes we'd love to see. At least those of us willing to freelance or bend reality a bit can... Cheers

What sort of 'hardware' are you going to add after you paint?

Galen

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Trucklover - 04-03-2009

Holy cow Steve!! I dont think i could ever do that awesome of a job building a structure like that!! Ive never tried laser cut wood structures, but they certainly dont look easy. But yours is coming out great!! Look forward to seeing it completed Misngth Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - tetters - 04-03-2009

You can almost hear the carpenters hammers and saws working away on that job site. Wink

Nice job bro! Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Russ Bellinis - 04-04-2009

Bigsteel Wrote:thats such a cool structure steve Thumbsup ,now for a stupid question,i've seen them everywhere before but wqhat is the point of the 2nd and 3rd floor doors? is it just to ease bringing stuff into the above floors? or they loadin monster panel trucks Misngth ?--josh

The second or even third level doors are usually loaded by fork lift. Before I retired one customer I used to help out was In & Out Burger at their maintenance facility in Baldwin Park, Ca. They had a brand new facility built in the late 1990s that was concrete tilt up construction with a second floor over the parts room & office. They had a large double door on the second floor at one end. They stored truck & trailer tires, pallets of freon, and any other large items that they had in stock for maintenance or repair. It is much faster and easier to load that stuff in on pallets with a fork lift and pallet jack than to find a way to move it up stairs! In the old days, before fork lifts, they would often have a large beam above the upper most floor extending out 3-4 feet with a block & tackle for heavy lifting. You might occasionally notice the beam on livery stable in old western movies. It was a common practice to load hay bails with a block and tackle into the hay loft above a livery stable in the old west.