Good things come in narrow packages - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Good things come in narrow packages (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Bigsteel - 04-04-2009

ok,now i see how they loaded them.i think i saw some buildings dowbtown that were lioke that.with wgat looked to be a swing out block and tackle on the side.thanks russ.--josh

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-04-2009

Thank you guys  Thumbsup
Josh...I am glad that Russ was here to answer your question Thumbsup ...I will be putting a beam with a block and tackle under the peak of the roof.
Galen...I will be adding hinges and handles to the bottom door and just hinges to the second floor door.
Josh...You could definitely do a building like this! If you have the patience to neatly work with plastic kits (you obviously do) then you have all the talent you need. If a person likes to rush through a project, then they would have problems...but the same can be said for plastic kits. How many times have you seen kits that were just slapped together, no flashing removed, gaps in the seams, out of square? Plenty. The real talent is just caring enough to do a good job.
Scott and tetters....thank you for the kind words Thumbsup  Thumbsup

Because the back of the coal house will not be visable when placed on the layout, and can only be  photographed on edge (not straight on) I will not be doing board by board, but I thought it would be a good chance to experiment with scribing.

I cut a sheet of basswood to size and glued it on. I figured scribing after glueing would keep me from inadvertently slicing apart the soft wood:
[Image: 04g6j6.jpg]

The pencil marks lined up with the boards on the side of the building:
[Image: gdDxND.jpg]

Then I made a some vertical slices to simulate board ends:
[Image: and4yI.jpg]

I think that it looks OK. We will see for sure after it is painted. If I were staining or ink-washing the wood only, I would definitely use the board by board method.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Bigsteel - 04-05-2009

the scribed wood looks great steve,and since you cant really see it theres no need to do a full board by board construction as you said.hell,i probably would have been lazy and not done any scribing to the back :mrgreen: --josh

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Sumpter250 - 04-05-2009

Josh, time for some shameless self promotion, there's a link in my sig.....get one of the smaller kits and give it a try. They're designed to assemble much like a plastic kit.

Steve, I hand cut individual boards from 1/32 balsa sheet to build the "Jack Work Coal Mine" when the article ran in Oct.,Nov.,Dec.'59 MR, and swore I'd never do that again.......fast forward eleven years, and I built(1970-1976) a plank on frame boat model where each board had to be tapered to fit, and fastened with individual bamboo dowels. Today, I don't have any problem with board by board construction. Your coal house is looking good!
BTW, it's good to see you here! Your work over on "the Z place" was excellent!

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-05-2009

Josh...if I did that, I would have found out later that the backside was more visible in pics than I previously thought! That would be my luck! Goldth
Pete...Thank you for the kind words Thumbsup . I could never imagine doing a project like the boat model you described...talk about a testament to patience!

Prototype photos

This is the link to the website where I found the prototype photos for the coalhouse:
http://mentilucent.net/Martinsburg/Martinsburg.html

I think you will agree that they are sweeeeeeet! I have been in contact with the gentleman who took them and he gave me permisson to post the link. He also informed me that he is in the begining stages of building a MRR layout....how about that. Anyway, I just want to thank Stan for taking and sharing his wonderful photographs with all of us.

Steve

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 04-05-2009

The siding in the prototype photos appears to be a type of shiplap called novelty siding. As far as I know, it's not available in basswood sheets, although Evergreen does offer it in styrene:
[album]860[/album]

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - tetters - 04-06-2009

Not to detract from Steve's fine modeling skill.

I have to ask. Wayne, what colour of Red is that? It looks really good.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 04-06-2009

Thanks, Shane, it's Floquil Caboose Red, mixed 2 to 1 with Zinc Chromate Primer.

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-08-2009

Just to clarify.....I am using the proto-pics mostly for shape and dimensions, and as inspiration for my coal house model. I will be changing the color of the structure just as I went with board by board instead of the prototype siding. I don't think I've ever done anything totally according to prototype.......no sense starting now! Goldth  Thumbsup  

Small Update:

In the little free time I've had lately, I have been working on the trim around the roof area. Since it will be a different color than the rest of the structure, I will attach it after painting the building.

Also, I "painted" and weathered the doors. This was done entirely with chalks:
[Image: 6mUWun.jpg]

[Image: 8s1OZT.jpg]

We'll see how it looks after the building is painted....if it doesn't look right, I can always paint them.

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - ocalicreek - 04-10-2009

Chalks...velly intellesting... 8-) ...I will be curious to see how the rest turns out. It makes a neat effect.

Galen

Oh and Steve, put all the hinges on you want - :hey: just make sure any bridges you build have shoes! 357

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-12-2009

Galen...Don't worry, I always use bridge shoes on doors! Goldth  Wink

I liked the way the doors turned out........until I painted the building, then they just looked like some discolored, ready to rot off their nonexistant hinges, pieces of junk............so I painted them a little more traditional. My original idea was to keep all but the roof trim green ( roof trim would be white), but after seeing the white roof trim, It just made the doors look even lousier, Kurt suggested painting the doors green and the trim white to match the windows.

Here are some pics.....I think the decision was the right one:

[Image: npNg0D.jpg]

[Image: ZC1dGG.jpg]

The roof trim, though no big deal, adds a little sense of support to the fairly large overhang.
I originally weathered the building more than you see in the pics, but it, like the doors, just looked too run down. I wanted this coal house to look like a busy place and not on its "last legs".

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Trucklover - 04-12-2009

Steve, i think you did a fantastic job on it, i love the green and white, it really makes it stand out!! and i love how you drew in the boards, thats really neat Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - doctorwayne - 04-12-2009

The white trim looks good on the green, and I also like the colour variations that you've worked into the siding. Nice work. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steve - 04-14-2009

Josh and Wayne...Thank you both very much Thumbsup  Thumbsup

I figured I would show a pic of the back trestle/bin wall before it gets covered up by all the wood framing. As you can see by how far back I had to shoot to get it all in the picture, this is a looooooong structure!

[Image: xVKZ3K.jpg]

Now on to the trestle and bins

Re: Good things come in narrow packages - Steamtrains - 04-14-2009

Steve...That's a TERRIFIC building.....!!! Thumbsup
Just a suggestion....White trim on a coal house..?? A little "smudgering" of coal dust all around would blend it all together....
Question: What did you use for the roofing material...??? Looks great..!!