Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Photographer's right of way (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Contests & Challenges (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge (/showthread.php?tid=2976)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Gary S - 08-07-2010

biL Wrote:C'mon, Gary! You know nothing is clean out of the package! Plastic must be released from the mold (therefore, mold release,) wire must be drawn through a lubricated die (therefore, oily wire,) mushrooms grow in yucky dirt (therefore, dirt must be brushed off the mushrooms,) and so on.

What about potato chips???

Misngth

I know, and I suppose the real reason is pure laziness and "I can make it work with only half an effort" attitude.

Anyway, I set the bridge on its side and put a few of the bents up against it just to see what it looks like.

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - P5se Camelback - 08-08-2010

WHOA!!!

That's going to be WAY cool when it's complete and installed!!

I can't wait to see it when it's installed and scenicked!

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - scubadude - 08-08-2010

That's it....I'm driving down to Houston with my camera...see you this afternoon! train Gary, you are fast becoming the newest member of G.E.M.S - THE Gauge Elite Modeling Society! Cheers

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Gary S - 08-08-2010

Richard, that is the kindest comment ever. Thank you so much! Smile Smile Smile Smile

And seriously, you are welcome to come visit the layout anytime. Of course, there is a long ways to go before it is even close to being half-way complete!

biL, I am headed out to the train room right now to start on the bridge installation on the layout.

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - cn nutbar - 08-08-2010

Gary, you are fast becoming the newest member of G.E.M.S - THE Gauge Elite Modeling Society! Cheers[/quote]

Richard---I like it Cheers

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - nachoman - 08-08-2010

That is going to look very convincing on your layout, and I am sure we will see plenty of photos of trains crossing that bridge!

Kevin, I am already drooling over having a train going across the bridge.

Mister Nutbar, thanks!

Now, more work in the train room.

Connected a six foot level and a piece of track to the bridge so I could lay the assembly across the existing tracks and have it at the correct level. Then used a smalle level to lay out the spots where the bents go. The third photo is of the styrene sheet I am using for the concrete under the bridge. I'll also be building a road bridge next to the aisle, so the concrete will be extended under that too eventually.

That is gonna be SO COOL!

I was hoping to get more done this weekend, but an old friend from Dallas was down here for a car race. The track is only 10 minutes south of me, so I went to see him. His race started at 2:30pm amd finished around 3:00pm. He races the SRF type cars, pretty cool.

Did a little more when I got home. Cutting the holes for the bents is rather tedious, trying to make the bents stay plumb. But I'll get there, back at it tomorrow afternoon.

Gary ...

SRF = Spec Racer Ford. I was a Sports Car Club of America Corner Marshall (the guys in white right next to the ARMCO with the flags at the corners) for 10 years!

It was just one really cool time! Worked the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona and the Mobil One 12 Hours of Sebring every year, too ... VERY COOL!

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Gary S - 08-10-2010

Yep, biL, Spec Racer Ford. It's fun watching the races, I'm sure it was something actually being involved.

Progress Report:

Nothing accomplished on the bridge. Long hours at work this week, but hoping to get alot done this weekend, and maybe take off Monday to make up for the long hours this week. The contest deadline is getting close!

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Tom - 08-11-2010

P5se Camelback Wrote:
Gary S Wrote: ... I assumed the brass was clean enough when it came out of the package. ...

C'mon, Gary! You know nothing is clean out of the package! Plastic must be released from the mold (therefore, mold release,) wire must be drawn through a lubricated die (therefore, oily wire,) mushrooms grow in yucky dirt (therefore, dirt must be brushed off the mushrooms,) and so on.

You'd stick to soda if you could see the raw product that filters for brewing beer are made from. Diatomaceous Earth is some of the finest, softest powder you'll ever touch, and yes, your brew is strained through this "dirt".

I'll stick to my 1800 on the rocks! Cheers

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Tom - 08-11-2010

Gary, I am speechless. I do a LOT of photoshop work, and that photo that you superimposed of your bridge to the real thing sure had me looking hard for a good 10 minutes between it and the photo below. I concluded both were real, just the photo on the bottom was taken after a rain shower. So yeah, you got me, and when you can fool a frequent photoshop user, that speaks volumes about the quality of that bridge. Simply AMAZING!

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Gary S - 08-14-2010

Sorry for such a long delay on the reply, Tom. Been a busy week, but I am headed out to the train room right now, and plan on spending the entire weekend working on the bridge. The contest deadline is hanging its head over all of us....

And thanks for the kind comments! Smile

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Gary S - 08-14-2010

I wasn't sure whther to glue the bents to the layout and then set the bridge on top, or glue the bents to the bridge first. Anyway, decided to put them on the bridge first, will make adjustments to the "concrete" on the bayou banks. I'm headed back to the train room to see how it fits.