Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Photographer's right of way (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Contests & Challenges (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge (/showthread.php?tid=2976)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Gary S - 08-05-2010

After a couple of days away from the modeling, got some more accomplished. The bents are finished for the most part, although I may go over some of them again with a black wash again.

First, bents 4 and 5 - still have to add the debris on top of the concrete footings

Real -

And all the rest in full weathered glory -

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Sumpter250 - 08-06-2010

The rust detail on those bents is, is, well it's better than anything I've ever done!
I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished scene.

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Steamtrains - 08-06-2010

Gary...Why are some of the bents "whiter" on the bottom than others..?? I'm sure that's how the prototype's are, but aren't they going to look kind'a funny on the layout..??

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Gary S - 08-06-2010

S250, I really appreciate the wonderful comment on the rust. Thank you.

Gus, the white portions on the botttom of the pipes is going to be buried in the layout. I did a photoshop job on the picture to show what will be seen. On the smaller bents, the pipes were more rusted at the tops than at the bottoms, and I modeled them that way. This better? Smile

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - P5se Camelback - 08-06-2010

I am more and more in awe with each additional posting, Gary! Amazing work, especially from someone who claims not to be much of a model builder!!

Keep it up, there, Brother... I need another "fix!" Worship

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Steamtrains - 08-06-2010

OK...That makes sense... Goldth

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - cn nutbar - 08-06-2010

Hello Gary---when you're finished it's going to be very hard to tell the difference between your model and the real thing---outstanding Thumbsup

P5se Camelback Wrote:I am more and more in awe with each additional posting, Gary! Amazing work, especially from someone who claims not to be much of a model builder!!

In our teens, my older brother and I built quite a few models, planes, cars, military vehicles, ships. My brother was quite good with the detailing and paint, and I picked up alot from him, most notably the use of washes and dry-brushing for weathering and finishing up a model. My only accomplishemnt for the last 30 years is my GERN facility. Well, I think I do a good job on my modified and weathered boxcars too. So really, I am not an accomplished modeler at this point.

P5se Camelback Wrote:Keep it up, there, Brother... I need another "fix!"

Thank you for your gracious comments. So far, I am pleased with how the bridge is turnng out. Right now, I am sitting at the workbench painting the bridge itself. I mixed antique white, pure white, and medium gray to come up with a base concrete color. After that, will put some white paint and dark gray paint in spots as on the prototype. Then some colored pencils for the dark stains, then a dark wash to bring out the cracks and spaces, and finally whatever washes and powders seem appropriate to get the overall color to match the real bridge.

And the base coat of paint in progress...

Thank you Mister Nutbar! Hopefully I will get alot accomplished this weekend... maybe even get the bents installed in the layout. Thumbsup

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - nachoman - 08-06-2010

Looks good to me!

Whatup, Kevin?! Smile

Okay, got the base coat on and then added some white to match the lighter spots. Well, semi-match. Also noticed that the ballast retainer section on top is darker than the actual bridge concrete, so I put a black wash on that and let the liquid run into the cracks between the bridge sections. Next I am going to spray this with dullcote to maintain the difference between the upper and lower, and then on to the dark water-stained areas.

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - P5se Camelback - 08-06-2010

What's in the background in all of these photos is every bit as interesting as the foreground subject matter! I'm going to have to get some of those acrylic craft paints and try some of your techniques, Gary!

biL, I like the craft paints mainly because they are easy and have no bad vapors... usethem almost exclusively except for some spray can paint here and there. Can't get the smooth finish like with an airbrush, but you learn to deal with that. For most small stuff and for weathering stuff, the smooth finish isn't importnat anyway. On something like my large GERN buildings, I thinned the paint with water and then "flowed" it on with a big soft brush. Took several coats, but it turned out "good enough."

Back to the bridge - decided to play around with the handrails. Laid out the dimensions that I guessed from the photos, then flux and solder. It isn't perfect, and I need to practice, but acceptable, especially once I scrub the flux off and give the rails a few squirts of spray paint.

First, the prototype rails. As can be seen, the rails aren't perfect, and that is a plus for me! Anything crooked and less than perfect, I did it on purpose!

And the template:

And soldered - I'll cut them and add extra posts to fit and match the real thing.

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Gary S - 08-07-2010

Colored pencils to make the major water stains coming down the sides. Next will be some more washes to get some mild color variation in the concrete. After that, some powders over the water stains to blend the pencil marks together.

Edit: Doh! I just noticed that I completely missed the ratio of ballast retainer height to bridge section height. Wallbang This happened way back when I built the little mock-up of the bridge. I didn't check the dimensions when I hurriedly built the mock-up, and then from there I simply worked on the premise that the mock-up was correct. :x

Debating changing that aspect, could do it by scribing a new line down lower and then filling the old line with putty and sanding, and then repainting. Darn it. Curse Okay, off to bed and I'll think on this later.

Re: Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge - Gary S - 08-07-2010

Okay, decided to fix the side so it is like the prototype. The vertical ratio of ballast retainer to bridge section is about 1 to 2. The model bridge right now is about 1 to 7, way off.