Freelance 2011 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Freelance 2011 (/showthread.php?tid=3853)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Re: Freelance 2011 - Tyson Rayles - 09-12-2011

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Nice work!

Re: Freelance 2011 - fwwrmodeler - 09-12-2011

Looking good. Cheers

Re: Freelance 2011 - faraway - 09-13-2011

In the very left is a one meter (about 25 inch) long slab building.
[Image: Img_0780.jpg?t=1312529504]
It has no specific prototype but is very generic and matches most similar structures in Vernon with loading docks. However, it looks somewhat boring. I did cut it in half and put a half back in the very left back. The new free space needs another structure serving a track with loadings docks etc.
My eye felt on this structure
http://maps.google.de/maps?q=vernon+california&ll=33.995638,-118.191029&spn=0.000895,0.001717&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&gl=de&t=h&z=20&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=33.995538,-118.191045&panoid=HEjFgLCa80lFjSIIAHusJA&cbp=12,312.21,,0,3.71
at Gifford and E. 50St in Vernon. I plan to use it as an inspiration to fill the gap.

Re: Freelance 2011 - faraway - 09-13-2011

The lot left to the white building was occupied by the toy shop that sat flat to the backdrop. Two white buildings of same hight did look good. I swapped it with by favorite blue one and the colors and hight look better. But the blue one was flat to the backdrop. I did extend one wall and added a triangle to the roof to have the building's front aligned to the sidewalk and the next track and the white building. All of a sudden that lot is a harmonic part of the street front Smile

ps. You see the new empty slot in the background. That is where the Bulding from Gifford St. will be soon.
pps. Don't care for the backdrop flats. They are old outworn photocopies temporary placed only.

[Image: Img_1007.jpg?t=1315921519]

Re: Freelance 2011 - faraway - 09-14-2011

The north yard got a cleanup. It was of great fun to build my very first little section of a harbor but it is not very useful over the time but I missed a staging yard very much. One stub track has been removed and track 3 became connected to track 4. It forms now a 4 track staging yard.

The only prototypical reference I can think of in the Vernon area is the Malabar yard. I may use all the long winter to build all the structures to fill the 4 meter background with structures at Malabar yard. I will only "put" them in place over the winter.

Further track work will be done next summer. The yard is hidden behind tables and can be worked on only when the home office is closed. As we are getting closer to the fall the office will open in some weeks... I learned from the small modification that I have to remove all tracks together with the cork next year. The plaster that is used for the street running is a mess. I can only cut thru track, plaster and cork with the Proxxon diamond disk and remove it as an entity.

ps. The backdrop has mounted with special pads designed for easy mount and dismount of posters. Have a look at the wallpaper...
[Image: Img_1008.jpg?t=1316008089]

I did "just for fun" place the old elevator from the north yard at it's old place on the south yard (the slab building sitting there has been cut in half yesterday). That corner reminds me somehow on the General Mills facility in Vernon. I have to think about it.
[Image: Img_1009.jpg?t=1316008088]

Andy and Russ, did you thought about that option for your layouts? I can "copy/steal" something from you? The huge white building might be in the left corner, the loading facility and the smaller silos in the center and the larger silos to the right.
Cane someone explain to me what all the stuff between the silos behind the loading facility is used for? It looks very complicated and I did never notice something similar with a grain silo, elevator or mill.
[Image: IMG_0648.jpg?t=1311821355]
ps. This photo is mine (not from Streetview). I did it during my Vernon tour.

Re: Freelance 2011 - Tyson Rayles - 09-14-2011

Thumbsup Getting a real big city feel to it.

Re: Freelance 2011 - lajry - 09-14-2011

Reinhard here's an aerial image of your shot. General Mills will be on my layout because of all the traffic. BUT there will be ALOT of selective compression! 35

Here's 3 more ground level pix where we were that day Reinhard. They go from north to south. We were on the east side taking our pix there.

lajry Wrote:[...BUT there will be ALOT of selective compression! 35

Hi Andi, I did look a lot via Google and Bing at that area. Do you have any further details how and what you plan to compress? Do you know what all the pipes are about in the center of my photo? I did never see so much details on similar facilities. Might be that is due to the very favorable climate in the LA basin and they saved the money to build a protective building around all that pipes.
Your new posted photos match mine very good.
My idea of compression is:
a. The building behind the pickup on photo 1203 becomes the very left end in the corner of my layout. The very left building with the "G" will be cut off.
b. The smaller silos behind the truck on 1204 becomes reduced to one row only
c. The loading facility is next. It might become trimmed and the complex piping on top of it might be simplified
d. The large silos on 1208 may be reduced to two gray and two white only. Will see how much space is left. One white is required to have the "G" logo.
e. There will be two tracks running in front of that installation
The total length is about 1 meter / 40 inch. I am very concerned the installation would be to much like a toy. The new area in the center made of four small buildings has about the same length.

Here's an aerial & track charts of the "Horn Lead" where General Mills is located. The address is 4309 Fruitland Ave 90058 (Vernon CA) if you want to look it up (Acme, Bing, Google, etc.)

The smal white building an the left side of the photo (not the larger fiber building in the background) is also on my layout.
[Image: IMG_0896.jpg?t=1311822137]

It is also 1 meter / 40 inch long and is to scale (it is mirrored). I think that shows the problem of dimensions very good. How can a massive mill complex occupy a similar footprint?
[Image: Img_0853.jpg?t=1313778366]

faraway Wrote:
lajry Wrote:[...BUT there will be ALOT of selective compression! 35

Hi Andi, I did look a lot via Google and Bing at that area. Do you have any further details how and what you plan to compress? Do you know what all the pipes are about in the center of my photo? I did never see so much details on similar facilities. Might be that is due to the very favorable climate in the LA basin and they saved the money to build a protective building around all that pipes.
Your new posted photos match mine very good.
My idea of compression is:
a. The building behind the pickup on photo 1203 becomes the very left end in the corner of my layout. The very left building with the "G" will be cut off.
b. The smaller silos behind the truck on 1204 becomes reduced to one row only
c. The loading facility is next. It might become trimmed and the complex piping on top of it might be simplified
d. The large silos on 1208 may be reduced to two gray and two white only. Will see how much space is left. One white is required to have the "G" logo.
e. There will be two tracks running in front of that installation
The total length is about 1 meter / 40 inch. I am very concerned the installation would be to much like a toy. The new area in the center made of four small buildings has about the same length.

Haven't gotten that far yet about how I'm going to actually going to model General Mills. Maybe a combination of pix, silos & building flats against a back drop. My friend at the J says they have a track mobile but may make mine a GE 44 tonner or smaller switcher. He said there used to be a third track there but didn't know much about it. Probably worth another trip there!

Re: Freelance 2011 - Russ Bellinis - 09-15-2011

Andy, let me know when you want to go to Vernon again. I feel like we hardly "scratched the surface" in our visit with Reinhard!

Re: Freelance 2011 - lajry - 09-15-2011

Sounds like a very good idea Russ. There's a few other places we didn't visit but want to put on my layout.

Re: Freelance 2011 - faraway - 09-15-2011

Ok, we are going Generalmills Thumbsup
Got some pipes from the home improvement market this morning and did the raw pipes this afternoon. Did also order some conveyors.
It is great "fun" when a dark gray rattle can runs havoc on a fresh yellow painted balustrade on the balcony. Tomorrow will be a home improvement day. Will get the yellow paint again and redo parts of the balustrade Curse

[Image: Img_1012.jpg?t=1316109766]

Russ, Andy, don't forget to pick me up when you go to Vernon next time. Just honk the horn. Will be with you in a minute Wink