SSWUP ISL - Build - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: SSWUP ISL - Build (/showthread.php?tid=3969)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Re: SSWUP ISL - Build - FCIN - 05-23-2011

SSWUPinSA Wrote:Maybe if anyone is interested I will make a small tutorial on how to make the mock-ups fairly easily?? Lets see who is interested...
I second the motion!

Re: SSWUP ISL - Build - BOK - 05-23-2011

I am definitely interested and would appreciate knowing what materials you use and procedures to obtain such great results.

Thanks,

Barry

Re: SSWUP ISL - Build - Russ Bellinis - 05-23-2011

SSWUPinSA Wrote:Can anyone identify the make and model of those trucks at the Inland facility, image above???

So many of the trucks look similar, especially from above. Those conventional cab trucks (light blue green) could be Fords, Navistar, or Sterling trucks. They would be late 1990's to current models. The cabover in the upper right corner of the pic could be a Freightliner, a Peterbilt, or a Kenworth. The Athearn Freightliner would work for that one. Cabovers became pretty much obsolete when the dot changed the federal law to set trailer lengths wthout regard to how long the overall length of the total rig is. Cabovers were used back when the overall length of a combination was restricted to 65 feet. I think the law changed sometime in the early 1990's, but it may have changed in the late 1980's.

Re: SSWUP ISL - Build - steinjr - 05-23-2011

SSWUPinSA Wrote:Thanks Barry,

Maybe if anyone is interested I will make a small tutorial on how to make the mock-ups fairly easily?? Lets see who is interested...

Add me to the list of people interested - your mock-ups look really good!

Smile,
Stein

Re: SSWUP ISL - Build - SSWUPinSA - 05-24-2011

Okay here goes... A tutorial on my "mock-up" structures. Its not the most complex building but it may help someone and that will mean it's worth doing...:

First of you will need these tools:

The material I have been using is 1mm white sided card and a rough 2mm card that I got from a local printing/paper supplier:

First off I mark the area that will be the basic footprint of the structure and cut it using the straight edge and knife...watch your fingertips!!!:

Decide on what height your structure will be and cut a long strip of card, in this case I chose 65mm but this will depend on the prototype you choose. I would recommend always finding a prototype on Bing or Google Earth and trying to copy it, No use coming up with something that doesn't look real because it never was!

Once you have your strip then lay the floorprint/roof next to the wall section and use it as your guide to measure out the points at which you will score and bend the card... ALWAYS use a set square!!!

I use the set square at all times and here I score the card with a blunt knife which aids in getting a nice tight corner...then I use the square to bend the first side:

All sides are measured against the roof shape, bent, then cut:

Before you start building the walls you need to cut any and all doors etc out of the card... Here I cut a loading dock as a old now unused dock:

Cut out the door using your steel edge and use any offcuts for ledges or covers:

Now we have the wall, 3 sides only as the layout edge side will be seperate to indicate that the building is only a section of the real thing. I use a second piece of 2mm card to space the roof off the very top of the walls, laid under the roof it it now time to glue witha hot glue gun - again don't burn yourself!:

Now we have a standing structure:

Now we have to measure up the cut wall...this will be seen from the room side of your layout. Again using the actual structure to get the measurements:

I add the smaller detail which are not really needed at this stage but give me a good idea of what will or won't work:

And after some simple painting with rattlecans we have something worth looking at:

Re: SSWUP ISL - Build - Brakie - 05-24-2011

Thank you for the tutorial.. Thumbsup

Looking closley at your building they can be used as is for the modern box buildingS or if one choses he/she could add siding..

Re: SSWUP ISL - Build - FCIN - 05-24-2011

Nice tutorial Cal! Going to have to stop at the Arts and Crafts store tomorrow and see if I can find suitable thicknesses of card stock. All I can find around here is poster board (too thin and flimsy) and some foam board that produces less than desirable results.

As Larry has pointed out, your mockups look good enough to be used as permanent structures for some time, until you decide to build the final structure in plastic or whatever material you use. Sort of takes me back to my younger days when all my structures were built with card stock, bass or balsa wood!

Re: SSWUP ISL - Build - SSWUPinSA - 05-25-2011

Thanks guys,

Really don't think they that great but I hope it helps in some way. The nice thing is that if these look somewhat decent it gives me time to perfect the styrene ones that will take the place of these card mock-ups.

I was messing around with an idea the Ed (FCIN) sent me but I don't know if it looks reasonable on my layout in the place I thought of.. here is the prototype:

And here is what I did... I may need to change the road that comes towards this facility and indicate in a better way that it makes a 90 degree turn before this new structure. I cannot add any depth to the structure as my track already needs to move closer to the front of the layout, this will be the best I can do with the space I have... What you think?

Re: SSWUP ISL - Build - Gary S - 05-25-2011

Cal, thanks for that tutorial. Since I have quite a few large structures to build, I am now considering doing some quick mock-ups as stand-ins for now. Your method should work.

Also, I am interested in how your building at the front of the layout works out. I like the thought of having industries on both sides of the tracks, but I'm just not convinced that the blank wall at the front is the thing to do. So, work with it for awhile and let us know how you like it.

Hey Gary,

Yes, it could be an issue but there are one or two things I think one can do to justify a structure like this...
Firstly I cut one of the doors out and will maybe cut a second which draws one to look at the Centrebeam though the open dock doors as it would be in real life. I am also thinking that the back, or my side of the structure, may well be painted the same colour as my bottom facia so as to indicate a "slice" of a real railroad... With this particular structures layout it is easy enough to see over and un-couple cars. I have found myself peeping throught he doors a few times now. I bet with a good bit of packaging and boxes/pallets etc on the dock floor it could be a great addition. It's easy enough to test it this way and I will see if it gets in the way and what comments it recieves... Next to that, if I can squeeze and extra half inch, I may try detail the inside wall of it but do not want to detract fron the industry and rail side of the layout...maybe a bad idea!