The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad (/showthread.php?tid=4132)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - Steamtrains - 07-03-2011

This last picture is TERRIFIC..!!
If I didn't know any better, I could have sworn the brick building was 3-D...The perspective is spot on.... Thumbsup
I'm not too sure about the building on the left...Is that one one of yours, or is it also a background..?? The shadow on the fire escapes makes it seem to be 3-D...

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - cnw1961 - 07-03-2011

Gary, no wizardry at all, just hours of carving … Icon_lol

Greg, lears, I am love street trackage, but I am not crazy about working with plaster. So I am really glad that it turns out to be a good method to build street trackage.

Mark, now you know why SUVs are so popular … :mrgreen:

Jens, I will tune down the color of the bricks, because I, too, think they still stand out a bit too much, BUT :mrgreen: I won’t change the color. It may not be 100%, but have a look at the old granite block paving in LA: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bigorangelandmarks.blogspot.com/2009/02/no-211-granite-block-paving.html">http://bigorangelandmarks.blogspot.com/ ... aving.html</a><!-- m -->. If you look at this photo (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dpdproductions.com/photos_rrgallery_rathole/21c.jpg">http://www.dpdproductions.com/photos_rr ... le/21c.jpg</a><!-- m -->) that shows the bricks in your pic from a different angle, you will see that they are a little tinted (brown, yellow and red). BTW, in all the pics on that website, the colors of the streets seem the be a bit washed out compared to all the other pics I saw from that area. Anyway, thank you fro your help. Wink

Thank you for the information, Wayne. In an old black and white pic from LA I saw some patches of stones in the asphalt surface that looked like bricks. They looked a bit too small and even to be granite blocks. But whatever they were, the color I chose should be acceptable.

Gus, the building on the left is just a pic that I printed out and glued to cardboard to make a mock-up. I still have to build that structure, but I agree, it is hard to tell from the pic that it is not 3D.

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - MrBill - 07-04-2011

That orange landmark link is cool. Love those Sanborn maps. I used to get hung up on ground coloration and all that, but dealing with the kind of surface variations that you're modeling takes time. Nature is constantly washing and changing tones anyway.

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - SP1 - 07-04-2011

cnw1961 Wrote:Jens, I will tune down the color of the bricks, because I, too, think they still stand out a bit too much

Kurt,
that is what I meant.
And thanks for that link. i somehow lost it.

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - jonte - 07-06-2011

SP1 Wrote:Kurt,

the carving is excellent, the asphalt color is spot on too. But, I have to disagree with everyone else, I personaly don't like the color of the cobblestones. I think they are too reddish, too much brick colored. It is fine if want to make them stand out and emphasize you carving skills, but otherwise I would tend to blend them in more.
[pic deleted]

Hi Jens, sorry to take issue with your statement, but if you read Kurt's text carefuly he explains that he has been short on time, thus he still has some weathering to do. To me, and I'm sure to others too, this translates as toning down and blending in.

If it's apparent to you, Jens, I think it safe to say that it's also apparent to Kurt, and given a chance to work his wizadry, it'll become only a hue of it's current shade quicker than you can say, "Abracadabra!!"

Carry on the magic, Kurt!

Best wishes,

Jonte.

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - SP1 - 07-06-2011

jonte Wrote:If it's apparent to you, Jens, I think it safe to say that it's also apparent to Kurt.

Well...

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - cnw1961 - 07-06-2011

Jonte, I see Jens’ remarks about the brick color as constructive criticism (and I am sure that is the way he meant it) and I always appreciate that kind of help as I am far from not making mistakes, but anyway, thank you for your faith in my abilities Wink .

Well, the bricks will have to wait a little, as I am taking a more rustic approach to working on the layout at the moment. Yesterday I cut off 42" on the left side and added them to the right end. I really love the scenes with all the street trackage on the right side of the layout and I thought compared to that, the left side of the layout fell a bit short. Seeing some pics of Sacramento Street inspired me to add another street with some more street trackage on the right side. The curved turnout and the second track on that street would not be necessary to operate the layout, but man, will this look good Misngth . Here is the revised trackplan.

[Image: la1a.jpg]

The tunout is a #8 with radii of 40" and 30". I will add some guard rails that will make it easier to put it into a street.

[Image: la25.jpg]

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - mountaingoatgreg - 07-06-2011

Kurt,

Very nice work on the turnout!!

Will this turnout be hiding in the street or will you have it exposed for everyone to admire your craftsmanship?
If it is going to be out in the open you should check out the Proto87 store as they have a bunch of super detailing parts for switches. Keep us posted on your progress!!

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - Steve Williams - 07-07-2011

I certainly think you made the right decision with the revised track plan Kurt. Aesthetically it looks better, with more of a natural flow to it. Look forward to developments.

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - FCIN - 07-07-2011

cnw1961 Wrote:[Image: la1a.jpg]
All I can say about this revision to your plan is WOW! Love the way the track swings back and forth along the street. Should provide a lot of interesting switching. Your modeling is so inspiring!

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - SSWUPinSA - 07-08-2011

KURT FOR PRESIDENT!!!! Cheers

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - SSWUPinSA - 07-08-2011

Kurt, sorry to back track but what was the brand of plaster you used? Even if I cannot get it loaclly it helps me to make sure I get the equivalent here in SA... Not entirely happy with the styrene roads and pavements :?

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - cnw1961 - 07-08-2011

Greg, it is a shame Misngth ,but the turnout will be completely buried in plaster. :o

[Image: la26.jpg]

Steve, Ed, I agree the revised plan looks better. Don’t know why I did not do it this way right away.

SSWUP, the brand of plaster I am using is Moltofill. I like using it, because it takes an hour before it starts setting, so you are in no hurry when you are working with it.

[Image: la27.jpg]

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - tetters - 07-08-2011

Very nice work Kurt. Very nice indeed. Aren't those curved turnouts fun to build?!? :x

The added complexity of the guide rails must have made it a bit more challenging I bet.

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - lears2005 - 07-08-2011

Wow I cant wait to see more it is really looking good Worship