The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad (/showthread.php?tid=4132)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - Mr Fixit - 08-06-2011

cnw1961 Wrote:Thanks, guys. Wink

GEC, I don’t know the exact radius of those curves, but they must be in the range of 40", because they look like the curved turnout.

Here are two pics from the new street after I gave it the fist coat of paint yesterday. I placed some mock-ups along the street, but I still have to find the right structures.

This is my last post for this month, because we are heading for the south of France tomorrow morning 2285_ . No modeling, but some of the most beatiful country roads and mountain passes for cycling for me … not bad, either Goldth .

[Image: la29.jpg]

[Image: la30.jpg]

Looking at those mock ups Kurt, sort of reminded me of the most recent article on David Barrow's Cat Mountain and Santa Fe, domino style layout whereby he had simplified the buildings down to mock ups with only details relating to unloading doors or platforms. It may just have been that he was at a similar stage as you are at present, but could also be said that he is only modelling things that are only relevant to rail operations. Tony Koester discussed modelling the right of way in as little space as 9 inches, but I am wondering if David has reduced his modelling width to 1 inch either side of the right of way with mock ups to fill out the rest of the width of his dominos. Then again David's Cat Mountain layout is filling a much larger area, so the technique maybe his way of representing relevant details until he can return to fully detail the area.

I must add though that your recent trackwork has some very sexy reverse curves to it. Watching a train snake its way through the urban jungle is going to be an eye opener.

Mark

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - Brakie - 08-07-2011

Looking at those mock ups Kurt, sort of reminded me of the most recent article on David Barrow's Cat Mountain and Santa Fe, domino style layout whereby he had simplified the buildings down to mock ups with only details relating to unloading doors or platforms. It may just have been that he was at a similar stage as you are at present, but could also be said that he is only modelling things that are only relevant to rail operations. Tony Koester discussed modelling the right of way in as little space as 9 inches, but I am wondering if David has reduced his modelling width to 1 inch either side of the right of way with mock ups to fill out the rest of the width of his dominos. Then again David's Cat Mountain layout is filling a much larger area, so the technique maybe his way of representing relevant details until he can return to fully detail the area.

I must add though that your recent trackwork has some very sexy reverse curves to it. Watching a train snake its way through the urban jungle is going to be an eye opener.

Mark
---------------------------
Mark,That would be one way of getting by with mock ups for operation.

However..

One could use the better building flats and accomplish the same goal.

Maybe I ought to start a topic on building flats?

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - Gary S - 08-07-2011

Good to see some of your work again Kurt. The loco paint job turned out well. The layout looks good so far too.

On another note, I was thumbing through one of MR's specialty publications the other day and found a photo of the one of the buildings you gave me. It was "National Orange" or "National Produce" or something like that.

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - cnw1961 - 08-07-2011

Thanks guys, I guess you can’t go wrong with a black and yellow paint scheme Wink .

Reinhard, that is exactly how I did it. It made it easier to mask the lettering and I did not want to paint yellow on black.

Wayne, I thought of using dry transfers, becaue I remember you mentioning this method before. Unfortunately I did not have dry transfer letters that big, so I had to cut the letters from masking tape. I did not know that you can remove dry transfers after painting using masking tape – very good advice. I will keep it in mind. Thumbsup

Mark, I am more into scenery than operations, so just putting mock-ups on my layout is not an option for me. And I am sure you will enjoy seeing my trains running through detailed city scenery more than seeing just some cardboard boxes. :mrgreen:

Gary, you are right. It is the National Orange Company packing house in Riverside. (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=hhphoto&fileName=ca/ca1600/ca1677/photos/browse.db&action=browse&recNum=0&title2=National%20Orange%20Company%20Packing%20House,%203604%20Commerce%20Street,%20Riverside,%20Riverside,%20CA&displayType=1&itemLink=D?hh:1:./temp/~ammem_zxPi:">http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?co ... mmem_zxPi:</a><!-- m -->Smile I modeled the rear of the structure that was facing toward the SP trackage. I built it mirror-inverted, but apart from that, it is close to the prototype.

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - cnw1961 - 08-07-2011

I made a little progress on my engine today, though it hardly shows. To add details and decals takes forever.

[Image: la32.jpg]

[Image: la33.jpg]

[Image: la34.jpg]

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - FCIN - 08-07-2011

Kurt;

The MP15dc is looking great! A black/yellow scheme like that has always appealed to me for some reason. I think it just says "railroad!" to me. I like the simple black/yellow paint scheme that Pioneer Rail applies to their locomotives but the last ones I saw and photographed were starting to look pretty ratty. I'm sure the LATR will keep their power much cleaner. Nice going!

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - Green_Elite_Cab - 08-07-2011

cnw1961 Wrote:I made a little progress on my engine today, though it hardly shows. To add details and decals takes forever.

I think its just the curse of the black locomotive. the moment you give it a good run of weathering, all that added detail will pop right out. Looks fantastic!

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - tetters - 08-08-2011

Looking sharp Kurt! I love the colors. Thumbsup

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - cnw1961 - 08-11-2011

I finished the engine eventually. It was pretty time consuming and I am glad that I can turn back to working on the layout again now. I applied a little weathering to make the MP15 look like it has to work to earn its keep without looking too abused. In fact the weathering is showing a little more in person (especially on the roof and on the hood) than in these pics.

[Image: la35.jpg]

[Image: la36.jpg]

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - tetters - 08-11-2011

I really like the look of that engine. Very wicked indeed. Worship

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - Steamtrains - 08-11-2011

Cheers Cheers

Just the right amount of grime on it, without spoiling the "well kept" look..!! Thumbsup

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - Brakie - 08-11-2011

Nicely done! That 10 spot looks good! Thumbsup

When the crew has some light work days they should sand the rust spots on the Hood and frame and spot paint.. Icon_lol

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - BOK - 08-12-2011

That's a really great model for a short line and you have done a wonderful job painiting and weathering the engine.

It reminds a lot of an SW 1500 I ran for Progressive Rail in Minneapolis a few years ago. I liked that unit alot because it gave
me, as an engineer a good view of my conductor and the operation due to the cab being high off the rails. I also liked it
because it had road rather than switcher trucks for a smooth ride over rough track.

Keep up the good work.

Barry

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - cnw1961 - 08-28-2011

Sorry guys fro the late reply. I promise to check in more often in the future. The last two weeks have been quite busy, so not much time for modeling was left and I did not wok on the layout ... I only got a new engine three days ago and started working on it ... but that is another story, respectively another thread.

Larry,
Brakie Wrote:When the crew has some light work days they should sand the rust spots on the Hood and frame and spot paint.. Icon_lol

Yeah, I am gonna tell this lazy bunch ....

Re: The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad - jonte - 08-30-2011

cnw1961 Wrote:I finished the engine eventually. It was pretty time consuming and I am glad that I can turn back to working on the layout again now. I applied a little weathering to make the MP15 look like it has to work to earn its keep without looking too abused. In fact the weathering is showing a little more in person (especially on the roof and on the hood) than in these pics.

[Image: la35.jpg]

[Image: la36.jpg]

Just thought I'd drop in and see how things are coming along, Kurt. That switcher is top drawer and won't look at all out of place here; nice subtle weathering too, old chap. It's beginning to make me want to dig out that switcher of mine I stripped of its paint before I lost interest and do something with it! Wouldn't mind, but I've even got the decals required without having to go to the lengths of hand painting like yourself - thankfully!!

Oh yes, think I'm getting the urge, again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes, Kurt; also Reinhard, Tetters and all my other old friends on The Big Blue - Keep it up fellas!!!!!

Jonte Thumbsup