Liberty Industrial Spur - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Liberty Industrial Spur (/showthread.php?tid=4454)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Liberty Industrial Spur - Justinmiller171 - 09-30-2011

My track arrived yesterday so it's finally time to start building the layout!

The Liberty Industrial Spur is a fictional industrial spur that can be located almost anywhere, though I currently have it set in
New Jersey.

The Liberty Industrial Spur is operated by the Liberty Industrial Railway(LIRY), A subsidiary of Pioneer Railcorp. The LIRY took over the Liberty industrial spur after it was abandoned by Conrail, occasionally I will be running it as if it was still operated by Conrail.

The Liberty industrial spur has 3 customers: Consolidated Container(In:Corn starch,paper Out: Scrap paper), Premier Chemical(In:Various chemicals), and Lowes Lumber(In: Lumber)

Here is the track-plan:[Image: FINALtrack-plan.jpg?t=1317252519]

Since I can't pin down the track straight on the Hollow-core doors, I can't actually lay track until I get the foam in a few weeks, but in the meantime I will be temporarily setting up the track in their positions using tape.

Turnouts are Peco Insulfrog code 100 large-radius, track is Atlas code 100 flex.

Re: Liberty Industrial Spur - FCIN - 09-30-2011

Good to see that you've started your new thread and also the layout Justin. Good choice of reporting marks for your railroad too, as LIRY is not currently in use by any prototype railroad.

Looking forward to seeing how things progress.

P.S. - Try not to change horses in mid stream again - Please.... Goldth I know that's often easier said than done...

Re: Liberty Industrial Spur - Justinmiller171 - 09-30-2011

FCIN Wrote:P.S. - Try not to change horses in mid stream again - Please.... Goldth I know that's often easier said than done...

Icon_lol The only thing I am not entirely certain of is whether I should have Consolidated container served by 1 or 2 tracks, I am going to lay track using each plan to see which one is better.

It's sort of frustrating having the track since I can't pin it down yet, hopefully I will be able to get the foam soon.

Re: Liberty Industrial Spur - steinjr - 09-30-2011

Justinmiller171 Wrote:
FCIN Wrote:It's sort of frustrating having the track since I can't pin it down yet, hopefully I will be able to get the foam soon.

Why did you need to pin it down?

Draw a line where your track will go, remove track, put a thin strip of DAP caulk along the strip, take a scrap piece of wood or cardboard or something and smear the caulk in a thin layer, then put track back on top of caulk and put som canned goods on top of the track for a couple of hours. Track stays in place.

If you need to move it, us a butter knife or something to work the track loose from the caulk, sand the table lightly to get rid of the caulk, new bead along new place and then go again.

To just test track placement, you can also just fasten it in a few places to maintain curves.

Smile,
Stein

Re: Liberty Industrial Spur - Southern Tuxedo - 09-30-2011

Justin,

Goldth Might I suggest…

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.staples.com/Staples-Nickel-Plated-Thumb-Tacks/product_480119">http://www.staples.com/Staples-Nickel-P ... uct_480119</a><!-- m -->

The skins on hollow core doors are pretty easy to push a thumb tack into. If you have trouble, drill a little hole first. You shouldn't need too many to temporarily hold your track and the holes will be covered with your foam later.This way you can experiment with you plan and get some trains running and see if you need to make some adjustments.

Mark

Southern Tuxedo Wrote:The skins on hollow core doors are pretty easy to push a thumb tack into.

Not these ones, These ones seem to have a harder skin than most HCDs and it is almost impossible to put tacks into.

Re: Liberty Industrial Spur - Southern Tuxedo - 09-30-2011

Justinmiller171 Wrote:
Southern Tuxedo Wrote:The skins on hollow core doors are pretty easy to push a thumb tack into.

Not these ones, These ones seem to have a harder skin than most HCDs and it is almost impossible to put tacks into.

Maybe a few tiny dabs of hot glue where they can be easily scraped off and covered with ballast or double sided carpet tape?

Mark

Okay so I found a way to tack down track on the HCDs, I have to use a bigger nail to start a hole, then I can use a tack on the HCDs, but it makes my arms sore :x

I was able to tack down enough track to run a short ops session, I only have 2 cars with metal wheels, so it was over pretty quick, I had almost not engine stuttering and everything ran well. Those Peco turnouts are really good!

After I tack down some more track I will try and take some pics.

Re: Liberty Industrial Spur - Russ Bellinis - 09-30-2011

I suspect that the difference between the hardness of the skins on hollow core doors depends on whether the skin is masonite or luan-aka Philippine Mahogany.

Re: Liberty Industrial Spur - Justinmiller171 - 10-01-2011

I have about 75% of the track laid, I was able to run a quick ops session using the only 4 cars I have that are equipped with metal wheels, it took me about 15 min to spot the 4 cars, Plus waiting for the brake-men and running at slow-speeds. I forgot what it was like to be able to run trains smoothly Big Grin

Re: Liberty Industrial Spur - alcanman - 10-01-2011

Hi Justin,

I'm pleased that you have now finalised your track plan, it looks great. You will certainly not regret using Peco Code 100 track.

Looking forward to seeing progress with Liberty. I'm working on a new video of Palmetto and hope to show a full operating session.

regards,

Mal

Re: Liberty Industrial Spur - MrBill - 10-01-2011

Cool. It's the New Castle Industrial in HO. Where's the pics dude?

I now have all of the track laid, I will try and get some pics up later today.

I have been thinking that I should hold off on getting foam for awhile, and instead get some freight cars so I can run an actual ops session.

Well, my good camera isn't working so I had to use the camera on my phone to take pictures

Here is the only decent picture I was able to take, pleas excuse the messy layout, the bad picture quality, and the crappy mockups :oops: (Also the track isn't as bad as it looks in the photo)

[Image: 1001111503.jpg?t=1317524243]

Re: Liberty Industrial Spur - Justinmiller171 - 10-02-2011

Lately I have been wondering if I really need to use foam for this layout, Foam would be nice, but the only thing I really wanted it for was to make laying track easier. Since I have already laid track I don't have much need for foam anymore, and the $60 it costs to get foam would be better used for something else.

Your thoughts?