Happiness is a new layout ! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Happiness is a new layout ! (/showthread.php?tid=4899)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Happiness is a new layout ! - teejay - 02-29-2012

...well it's SUPPOSED to be , so we'll see .

After tearing down my old steel mill layout a couple of years back , I had the itch to build something smaller , no duck-unders , something I could actually finish in my lifetime , etc .....soooooo....

Scale - HO

Era - 1940's ( but I think a couple of my early switchers didn't arrive until 50's ...have to check on that )

Style - Point to point

Dimensions - 3' x 20 ' but that is a bit simplified because I will have jetties sticking out in the dockside area making it wider than 3' in some places .

Setting - dockside , train ferry unloading , classification yard , nearby factories to drop at , small town off to one side requiring further drops .

Terrain - It won't be flat so I won't go "tabletop " , rather I'll use open grid .

Benchwork - 2x2 legs , 1x4 girders , 1x2 reinforcement .

Power - Digitrax ......about 12 locos or so including a couple of box cabs , small steam , early diesel switchers and one or two industrial trolleys .

Structures - lots of false fronts .

Time required to Build the thing .....HA ! HA! 357

Wish me luck !

Terry

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - Ralph - 02-29-2012

Best wishes Terry! Sounds like a fun one! Thumbsup

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - Tyson Rayles - 02-29-2012

"something I could actually finish in my lifetime "

Couldn't agree more TJ, I tore down the room size layout and went to 14 square feet and I'm enjoying the hobby again. I'm looking forward to following this thread! Thumbsup

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - Steamtrains - 02-29-2012

Lots a' luck..!!

And don't forget the pictures.... Goldth

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - Charlie B - 03-01-2012

Good Luck and happy building Terry. I too am looking forward to pictures of your progress.
Charlie

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - teejay - 03-01-2012

It looks like I'm going to need some extra wood for the benchwork . In the past I've used 1x4s for the girders with 1x2's angled to the legs for stability . I'm wondering if I can use 1x2's for the girders as well , to save $$ .....think it will work ? I'm not using plaster up top for scenery or any other heavy items that I can think of . If it's going to be "iffy" I'll buy the more expensive 1x4's like before .

Thanks , T

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - Tyson Rayles - 03-01-2012

When in doubt................... Be bad to find out after the fact that you shoulda used 1x4's. Eek

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - teejay - 03-01-2012

I see your point ....maybe I'll compare the cost of 1x3's too.

T

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - Charlie B - 03-01-2012

Terry, I used 2X4s on 16 in centers. They are not that expensive, and another option may be 2X3's. They had some nice ones at Home Depot last week and I picked up 4. I can't remember exactly how much they were but I'm sure they were less than 2 bucks each. some of the 1X3 and 1X4 is pretty ugly unless you pay for premium and 2x3, or 2x4 is sometimes cheaper than the good 1 by stuff.

Charlie

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - Russ Bellinis - 03-02-2012

Do you have access to a table saw? You could rip 1x3's out of 1x6's and probably save a bit of money.

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - Steamtrains - 03-02-2012

Charlie B Wrote:Terry, I used 2X4s on 16 in centers. They are not that expensive, and another option may be 2X3's. They had some nice ones at Home Depot last week and I picked up 4. I can't remember exactly how much they were but I'm sure they were less than 2 bucks each. some of the 1X3 and 1X4 is pretty ugly unless you pay for premium and 2x3, or 2x4 is sometimes cheaper than the good 1 by stuff.

Charlie

I was in HD last week looking precisely for 1x4's and was shocked to see the poor quality of their stock. A few years back when I purchased the lumber for the first stage of my layout, it was really great quality lumber, with barely a knot here and there. Now you literally get lumber with bark patches on it.... Curse

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - RobertInOntario - 03-02-2012

Sounds great! You'll have to keep us updated with pics.

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - ward kesic - 03-02-2012

i know the feeling, great ideas,GOOD LUCK wait for the pics! train

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - teejay - 03-03-2012

The other route I might go is to look for used wood .....we have another expressway being built and hundreds of homes were expropriated so there should be a decent supply of wood somewhere . Atleast it will be dried out and won't bend .

I don't have a table saw for ripping 1x6's but I could have access to one . I think I'll head out and do a little "fact-finding" today .

T

Re: Happiness is a new layout ! - Tyson Rayles - 03-03-2012

Used is good!