BROKEN BIT - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Lower Berth (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: BROKEN BIT (/showthread.php?tid=4946)

BROKEN BIT - Lester Perry - 03-17-2012

Not train related. How do you get a broken drill bit out of cast iron?

Re: BROKEN BIT - Chuck - 03-17-2012

Bummer. Well, you can always use the same size drill bit to drill out the broken one. You may need a carbide tipped bit. If there is a piece sticking out of the hole you drilled, use vise grips to slowly back it out. Best wishes!

Chuck

Re: BROKEN BIT - TinGoat - 03-17-2012

WD40 and brute force?

Re: BROKEN BIT - tomustang - 03-17-2012

Left handed drill bit that's stronger than the original bit that broke, if it's HSS then use cobalt

Re: BROKEN BIT - nachoman - 03-18-2012

Depends on what size the bit is, but I once had to use a small grinding wheel in a dremel to basically grind the bit out. It was a threaded hole, and I had to then drill a larger size and use a helicoil to get it back to the proper size. It's a real pain. Curse

Re: BROKEN BIT - Tyson Rayles - 03-18-2012

Throw whatever it is broke off in away and buy a new one! 35

Re: BROKEN BIT - Lester Perry - 03-18-2012

I would rather not throw it away, it would cost almost $100 to replace it. I never thought about using a Dremel tool. How many grinding wheels did it take? I have only used the small grinding wheel once and it went fast. I think I will give that a try.

Re: BROKEN BIT - nachoman - 03-18-2012

Lester Perry Wrote:I would rather not throw it away, it would cost almost $100 to replace it. I never thought about using a Dremel tool. How many grinding wheels did it take? I have only used the small grinding wheel once and it went fast. I think I will give that a try.

In my case, I had a bolt that broke off in the cylinder head of my car. I tried drilling the bolt out, but the bit broke off. I think I used 2-3 of the smallest dremel grinding wheels to grind the bit out, and then had to re-tap for a helicoil. It probably took 3-4 hours from the time I broke the bold off until I got it repaired.

Re: BROKEN BIT - Lester Perry - 03-18-2012

I GOT IT OUT !!!I was drilling out a broken bolt. I planned on just drilling all the way through and getting a longer bolt with a nut Thumbsup . The original hole was only about 3/4 inch deep, I knew the threads would be destroyed. What I didn't realize, was there was another through hole going across the piece. When the drill broke through it was in 1/2 of the other hole. This caused it to bind up breaking the bit. I tried using the Dremel tool in both ways. When I tried it in the hole going across I saw the dril move. Icon_idea The grinding causes vibration Big Grin it broke the drill loose. I got some needle nose pliers and Dancing :band2" Waveof7

Re: BROKEN BIT - Tyson Rayles - 03-18-2012

That was too easy Les, you need to stick it back in there again and whack it with a hammer a few times to make it more of a challenge. 2285_ Icon_lol Congrats on getting it out! Cheers

Re: BROKEN BIT - ezdays - 03-18-2012

Tyson Rayles Wrote:That was too easy Les, you need to stick it back in there again and whack it with a hammer a few times to make it more of a challenge. 2285_ Icon_lol Congrats on getting it out! Cheers
Now that makes sense. If it came out that easy, there must be something wrong and you need to do it again. 35