The Mogollon Railroad - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: The Mogollon Railroad (/showthread.php?tid=508)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - doctorwayne - 01-01-2011

Lookin' good, Kevin. Thumbsup Thumbsup

With the 50 degree-plus weather we've been having in this part of the Great White North, that's the closest to snow that I've seen this winter. Any chance you could leave it white until we get some of the real stuff?

Wayne

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - nachoman - 01-02-2011

Adding layers of color to my rocks. I'm amazed how much the flash on the camera lightens things up.

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - doctorwayne - 01-02-2011

If you have something solid on which to rest your camera, you can turn off the flash completely. Your camera likely has a feature to set it for the type of lighting used over your layout, often called "White Balance". This should yield a more true-to-life colour, and the camera will compensate for the level of light, either automatically or by manually adjustment.

Wayne

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - nachoman - 01-02-2011

doctorwayne Wrote:If you have something solid on which to rest your camera, you can turn off the flash completely. Your camera likely has a feature to set it for the type of lighting used over your layout, often called "White Balance". This should yield a more true-to-life colour, and the camera will compensate for the level of light, either automatically or by manually adjustment.

Wayne

Absolutely. It has a "night scene" setting that holds the shutter open, and I usually use that when taking better layout photos. But, it requires a tripod (which I don't have) or balancing the camera on the layout. Unfortunately, for these photos, the camera has to be placed beyond the layout edge and I have nothing tall enough to place the camera on (besides my arms). Next time I am at the thrift store, I'll keep my eye out for a cheap used tripod.

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - ocalicreek - 01-02-2011

Got mine for $14 at Walmart. For the price of a nice rolling stock kit you can upgrade you photography. Remember those old Tech II ads? "A new loco improves one train...a Tech II improves your whole layout!" Bite the bullet and spend some of that new income on a tripod; you'll be glad you did.

Galen

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - nachoman - 01-09-2011

And a few more progress pics.

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - mountaingoatgreg - 01-09-2011

WOW....that is coming along nicely!!!

I really like the color and texture of the rock work keep up the great work!!

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - nachoman - 01-20-2011

Here is my attempt so far at some desert plants. In forested areas, one can get by with a background of "generic trees" and ground foam. In desert areas, the plants are more unique and more sparse, meaning they have to be more individualized. And since I've found only sparse information about how to model these plants (few seem to model this type of scenery), this is a bit of an experiment.

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - MrBill - 01-20-2011

Hey Kev, Someone has to be the first. Your plants are looking pretty good. Seeing how the other scenes have developed on your layout, I'm sure you'll get this area looking equally sharp as well. very impressive what you're doing with 4x8 feet.

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - tetters - 01-20-2011

I really like what you've accomplished on your layout Kevin. Your plants and vegetation looks great. Thumbsup

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - nachoman - 01-28-2011

When I was a kid, I used to clean my room by first cleaning a pathway from one end to the other. It felt like I was making faster progress that way. I did the same when I was asked to mow the lawn - I'd mow a stripe straight down the center to make it seem like I was halfway done. Unintentionally, I did the same with my layout. The other day I noticed I now have continuous groundcover and scenery across one of the short ends. If I keep myself from being lazy, it won't be long before I have continuous scenery along one of the long ends.

[Image: backend.jpg]

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - WT fan - 02-03-2011

Kevin,
thank you for your report. I like what you did. I have still to make my "rock tunnel".

Wolfgang

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - ocalicreek - 02-03-2011

Quote:When I was a kid, I used to clean my room by first cleaning a pathway from one end to the other. It felt like I was making faster progress that way. I did the same when I was asked to mow the lawn - I'd mow a stripe straight down the center to make it seem like I was halfway done. Unintentionally, I did the same with my layout. The other day I noticed I now have continuous groundcover and scenery across one of the short ends. If I keep myself from being lazy, it won't be long before I have continuous scenery along one of the long ends.

It's good to see progress and that stripe of lawn gives you that instant gratification in the middle of everything. Remember John Allen actually scenicked sections of the G&D before track was even laid - you're in good company! I'm itchin' to get some scenery work done at Pinto but I really need to get the lighting installed, and then get my backdrop installed, taped, spackled, sanded, primed, and painted. Some things just have to be done first...

I've also heard that desert scenery goes faster than Eastern forests or NW pines & firs. True?

Galen

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - nachoman - 02-03-2011

ocalicreek Wrote:I've also heard that desert scenery goes faster than Eastern forests or NW pines & firs. True?

Probably, at least it takes less time to get from plywood (or foam) to a basic, believable scene. In woodlands, the scene looks obviously wrong until multitudes of trees are planted. In a desert, one could simply spread dirt and sand and a few sparse plants and immediately have a plausible landscape. More detailed plants and a greater number of plants can be added later, but it doesn't take long to capture the basic feel of a barren desert. The downside is that rocks are more visible in deserts, meaning mountainous areas may require more time. Likewise, the lack of backdrop-hiding trees may mean that one must take more time creating a believable backdrop.

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - nachoman - 06-09-2011

Here is a school I have been building. It's modified from a Bachmann feed store kit.