The Mogollon Railroad - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: The Mogollon Railroad (/showthread.php?tid=508)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - Sumpter250 - 12-18-2013

A Photo of the D&S Parlor car. Open vestibule at one end, Closed Vestibule at the other.

This car was at the end of the train, with the open vestibule at the rear.
The last window ( left side of photo ) was where I spent the better part of the round trip to Silverton and back, with my right ankle in an air cast.
The MDC shorties, could be used to model a variation of this car too.
Your Combine turned out very nicely. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - doctorwayne - 12-18-2013

Sumpter250 Wrote:....Your Combine turned out very nicely. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Cheers and well-worth the time it will take to add a railing at the platform end. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - nachoman - 12-18-2013

thanks, guys. It's been a fun little project I can do in spare moments here or there to get my mind off more stressful things. I have some spare parts of two Model Power coaches that I realized I can join together to create another passenger car of the same length as my others. I was going to shoot for extra detail on that one, and make it a closed vestibule parlor car like the one pictured above. That would give my fictional narrow gauge short line 5 passenger cars, probably way more than a line like that would have in real life. But, they are fun to build Smile

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - Sumpter250 - 12-19-2013

I knew I had a photo of the MDC shorties-to-Narrow gauge passenger cars ! Big Grin
The Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, coach, combine, and the Gas Electric loco ( also an MDC convert ):

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - nachoman - 12-19-2013

Sumpter250 Wrote:I knew I had a photo of the MDC shorties-to-Narrow gauge passenger cars ! Big Grin
The Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, coach, combine, and the Gas Electric loco ( also an MDC convert ):
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Those are great looking cars! I am assuming you used two cars for each coach?

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - Sumpter250 - 12-19-2013

Yeah, 2 cars each for the coach and combine, and one "combine" for the loco,......with some leftovers.
I left the clerestories as they were, and removed a little of each side of the roof to narrow the car roofs. The car ends required a bit more "selective surgery". If I remember correctly, I removed just the right amounts from each side of the end windows, ending up with five pieces for the ends. The edges, the windows, and the door. The end platforms / steps, were removed from the "floor assembly", and narrowed. The floor was narrowed separately. Yup 2285_ "selective surgery" 2285_ 2285_

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - sailormatlac - 12-20-2013

Sumpter250 Wrote:Yeah, 2 cars each for the coach and combine, and one "combine" for the loco,......with some leftovers.
I left the clerestories as they were, and removed a little of each side of the roof to narrow the car roofs. The car ends required a bit more "selective surgery". If I remember correctly, I removed just the right amounts from each side of the end windows, ending up with five pieces for the ends. The edges, the windows, and the door. The end platforms / steps, were removed from the "floor assembly", and narrowed. The floor was narrowed separately. Yup 2285_ "selective surgery" 2285_ 2285_

Have you a close up picture of that loco? Looking pretty nice for afar.

Matt

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - nachoman - 02-20-2014

I've been pushing to get the last few unscenicked areas done. That means the engine house and turntable, the smelter building, and the area around the hotel. The hotel area is scenicked, but I need to finish the structure. The engine house was almost completed, but I needed to finish adding siding to one wall and make a floor. The turntable worked, but the pit was unfinished, and I was not quite happy with the way it looked. I started building up the engine house floor with foam core board.

I then printed out a wood floor pattern on paper, and glued it to the foam core. I added some real wood boards between the rails. (sorry for the crappy photo, I had the wrong camera setting).

I also didn't like the gallows style turntable I had built, so I made it a deck girder type. The gallows type was just too tall, and looked too dominating next to my selectively compressed buildings. The girder is from an old atlas bridge.

And I added siding to the engine house and weathered it some. I still need to add doors and roof details.

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - doctorwayne - 02-20-2014

Looks like things are coming along very nicely, Kevin. Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - nachoman - 02-20-2014

I've also been building the obligatory layout "junk pile" next to the engine house. It seems every layout has one of these details.

I used a piece of old flextrack removed from my last layout, cut in half, for the pit rail. I did my best to make it as circular as possible. There's no actual wheels riding on this rail, so it doesn't have to be perfect - just close enough for the eyes. The pit wall is a piece of stone patterned plastic I had leftover. The pit was ballasted with dirt from my yard.

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - Tyson Rayles - 02-20-2014

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - Ralph - 02-20-2014

Looking good! Thumbsup I like the engine house. It reminds me of some of my steel mill buildings. Clever work on the turntable pit.

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - nachoman - 02-21-2014

Thanks, everyone. I spent a little extra time on the turntable bridge last night sanding down the ties so that the rails are on the same level as the approach track. I got it as close as I could. It's not perfect, but I think it will be good enough. If I had the tools to make the turntable bridge and shaft perfectly square, these adjustments would not have been necessary. It's only 8 inches long, so the bridge is simply a block of oak with a hole drilled in the center, with a brass tube shaft riding in a bronze bushing that is pressed into a hole in the pit floor made from 3/4" particle board. I plan on motorizing it somehow, just not sure how yet.

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - Sumpter250 - 02-21-2014

sailormatlac Wrote:Have you a close up picture of that loco? Looking pretty nice for afar. Matt

Matt, took me a bit to find this one:

It's been a while since I built this, if memory serves, the power is a modified N scale Geep chassis, the power trucks modified by replacing the original sideframes, with ones from narrow gauge passenger trucks.
Lettered for; Sag Harbor Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. The two S's are replaced by a larger single one.

Re: The Mogollon Railroad - sailormatlac - 02-22-2014

Sumpter, nice little critter! Thaks for the pic.

@Nachoman: Looking good so far! Your turntable is very nice and well done. I particularly like the engine house: a spartan practical shed just liek the real thing, really helps give authenticity to this railroad facility!

Matt