Watch out! Black & whites! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Photographer's right of way (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Shutterbug area (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Watch out! Black & whites! (/showthread.php?tid=52)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - cn nutbar - 08-12-2010

Hello Everyone---In my opinion,the Canadian National had some beautiful steam locomotives but here's one that only a mother could love.These locomotives were used in commuter service in the Montreal Quebec region.#47 has been preserved and can be seen today at Steamtown,Scranton PA.

[Image: 2009penn1149-1.jpg]

[Image: 2009penn1206-1.jpg]

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - MasonJar - 08-12-2010

Is that the 4-6-4T? I recall that they used this configuration since in commuter service, it spent a lot of time running backwards.

Andrew

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - doctorwayne - 08-12-2010

cn nutbar Wrote:Hello Everyone---In my opinion,the Canadian National had some beautiful steam locomotives but here's one that only a mother could love.

Well, she's lookin' a bit scruffy, but one of my favourites - after all, who doesn't like Hudsons, even if it's a "vest-pocket" version. Wink Misngth

Wayne

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - MasonJar - 08-12-2010

doctorwayne Wrote:
cn nutbar Wrote:Hello Everyone---In my opinion,the Canadian National had some beautiful steam locomotives but here's one that only a mother could love.

Well, she's lookin' a bit scruffy, but one of my favourites - after all, who doesn't like Hudsons, even if it's a "vest-pocket" version. Wink Misngth

Wayne

They also had an "abridged" Pacific...Wink

Andrew

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - P5se Camelback - 08-12-2010

The Reading Company also had Suburban Locomotives, used primarily on the several commuter lines which spread out from Reading Terminal at 12th & Market in Center City Philadelphia. Unfortunately, in comparison with the Canadian National's version, which I think, even in its "scruffy "condition is quite handsome, and as a lover of camelbacks that many other people feel are rather ugly, the Reading Company Class Q1C 2-6-4T as built by Baldwin Locomotive Works, and illustrated here by RDG #376 were truly steam locomotives that only a mother could love!

[Image: RDG376BaldwinClassQ1C2-6-4T.jpg]

I mean ... It looks to me that it backed into something at speed!

Thank God that the Reading eventually put all those commuter lines "under the wire!"

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - faraway - 08-13-2010

P5se Camelback Wrote:The Reading Company also had Suburban Locomotives, used primarily on the several commuter lines...
That engine looks very German. It is remarkable because mostly the US engines look very different from German engines even if hey are build for a similar purpose. Not so this engine. It could have run in the suburban service of Berlin or Hamburg.

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - cn nutbar - 08-13-2010

Hello Everyone---as the saying goes:"beauty is in the eye of the beholder".After taking a second look at #47 from different angles,I guess I have to admit she is kinda cute afterall---it's like looking at a woman,she definetly has some features that stand out (no pun intended :oops: )
I did a bit of research on these unique locomotives.Built in 1914 by the Montreal Locomotive Works,the X-10-A Suburbans had 63 inch drivers and 32,000 lbs. of tractive effort making them ideally suited for speed and pulling power---just what was needed for commuter service in the Montreal to Vaudreuil district.There were 6 locomotives in this class,numbered 45 through 50---actually 3 of these locomotives have been preserved.
Locomotive #48 was transferred to London Ontario in 1956 and was a common fixture on the London to Sarnia passenger train #620-621 until her retirement in 1958.
I don't think there are any models of this very interesting locomotive---maybe if I put my CNR Hudson #5702 in a vice and squeeze carefully,I may be able to get one of these engines for my collection Confusedhock: 35 357

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - Charlie B - 08-13-2010

cn nutbar Wrote:I don't think there are any models of this very interesting locomotive---maybe if I put my CNR Hudson #5702 in a vice and squeeze carefully,I may be able to get one of these engines for my collection Confusedhock: 35 357
Ed, this sounds like a darned good project for Wayne. He hasn't had much to say lately. That must mean he needs work. Goldth
Charlie

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - cn nutbar - 08-13-2010

Ed, this sounds like a darned good project for Wayne. He hasn't had much to say lately. That must mean he needs work. Goldth
Charlie[/quote]

Great idea Charlie---if we can talk Wayne into building one of these mini-hudsons,I won't have to kit-bash mine---I think the 5702 looks good just the way she is

[Image: 20032007038-1.jpg]

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - Justinmiller171 - 08-13-2010

Here is a picture from the California State Railroad Museum train ride. The engine leading our train is a 0-6-0, the old engines on the siding are both Santa Fe 4-8-4. I like how there is grass growing on the flat car Icon_lol

[Image: HPIM4037.jpg?t=1281738132]

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - P5se Camelback - 08-13-2010

Charlie B Wrote:... Ed, this sounds like a darned good project for Wayne. He hasn't had much to say lately. That must mean he needs work. ... Charlie

Actually, Gentlemen, as I recall the last time we saw/heard anything from the talented doctorwayne, you'll remember there was a huge "stack" of freight cars sitting on the bench next to his spray booth ... I think he said something about 40+ freight cars to paint, or something like that ... although I can't find the actual post to confirm that recollection.

But if that was truly the case, he is either busy catching up on lost but needed sleep after so much custom paint work or ... maybe we should send someone out to the back where his workshop is to see if he's passed out from the fumes! Confusedhock:

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - cn nutbar - 08-16-2010

Hello All---here's a shot that I took during the early 90's on the South Simcoe R.R.,Tottenham Ontario ( by the looks of that locomotive,it could have been the 1890's)

[Image: 2009ns5019-2.jpg]

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - MasonJar - 08-16-2010

That's another great shot! I hope that the South Simcoe gets some sort of steam back in action soon.

Andrew

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - cn nutbar - 08-17-2010

Hello Everyone---here's another oldie---this picture is a photocopy of an industrial steam locomotive that once served at the Dominion Foundry and Steel Company in Hamilton Ontario ( later known as Dofasco and currently is Arcelor-Mittall).When my wife worked at Dofasco,one of her colleagues who knew I liked trains gave her this photo which was hanging in one of the offices---I'm sorry,I have no idea who took the original shot (maybe a company employee,many years ago).I thought Doctor Wayne might like this shot as I know he often used to take pictures of the motive power at Stelco.As well,check the gondola in the background---I would think the photo was taken in the 30's

[Image: 005-3.jpg]

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - doctorwayne - 08-17-2010

Ed, Dofasco #3 was originally the TH&B's first #40, as shown HERE.

Wayne