Watch out! Black & whites! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Photographer's right of way (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Shutterbug area (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Watch out! Black & whites! (/showthread.php?tid=52)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - Sumpter250 - 05-20-2012

1976, Sept. Bellows Falls VT, CP 1278 and a string of coaches used for the "ride" at Steamtown.    
There's an "oh no , you didn't" tale to be told with this photo.
The train left Bellows Falls with the loco on the head end. at the end of the "line" the loco backed around the coaches, coupled up and backed down pulling the train back to Bellows Falls. When we arrived there, she uncoupled, and backed down to the tower to take on water. I hadn't seen a working 4-6-2 before that, so I headed back to the loco, asked if I could "take a look around around the cab", and was invited up. ( begin now, the telling of a tale of a lifetime )
After some conversation, including my interest in model trains, I jokingly said I'd love a chance to "drive one of these".
The engineer, gave the fireman "one of those winks", as he said "go ahead" :o :o :o
So ! after an incredulous " are you sure "!!?? I took up position in the engineers seat and.....after the brakeman gave us the go ahead, I opened the cylinder drain cocks, released the engine brake, put the Johnson bar in "forward", grabbed the whistle cord, and pulled two short blasts, and opened the ( front end , it was not an easy thing to move ) throttle. ( the bell was on a pneumatic ringer, the engineer got that ). As the loco began to move forward, I "heard this loud clank- - -it was the engineers jaw hitting the floor of the cab !"
Big Grin Big Grin He couldn't believe what he was seeing. When we were clear of the turnout, I closed the throttle,applied the brake and came to a stop, the brakeman climbed up on the back of the tender, and as I was about to step back, the engineer told me to "stop before the next turnout, at the head end of the coaches". I did that, took her through the turnout, and backed her to within three feet of the train. The engineer coupled her up, shook my hand as I left, and to this day I don't think he ever figured it all out. 8-) 8-)
It was the first, last, and only time I ever got to operate a full size steam locomotive! That memory is surpassed only by my marriage, and the births of my four daughters, and with any luck will remain with me to the very end.

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - Charlie B - 05-21-2012

What a great story....When my second oldest son was 5 years old I had a friend that worked the railroad in the mill. I was driving truck and servicing the bag house at the electric furnace. He told me to sneak my son in some night when he worked night turn, and I did. They showed him how the locomotive worked and let him run it for about an hour. 3 years later we were watching the local switch and the engineer invited us aboard. My son told him he could run the locomotive and same thing, big wink, and here, go ahead. Well, he did for about 30 minutes. I was surprised he remembered, and he did do a good job...These guys would get fired today, but on the KJR I let many young kids have a chance at the throttle. It is a real thrill for them and when you are right there they won't get into a jam.
Charlie

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - cn nutbar - 05-21-2012

Great stories.Charlie,here's one of those "kids" that you enabled to create a thrill of a lifetime that will always be remembered Thumbsup

[Image: 2009penn1100.jpg]

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - doctorwayne - 05-21-2012

Yeah, Ed was thrilled. Charlie and I, along with Marty, the engineer, were just plain terrified. Icon_lol Icon_lol And all this on a locomotive with no toilet! Misngth Misngth

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I almost forgot:

[Image: LocomotiveEd.jpg]

Wayne

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - cn nutbar - 09-15-2012

It's been a while since anyone has posted in this thread---hopefully there's more to follow

[Image: P1140578-1-1.jpg]

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - doctorwayne - 09-15-2012

The engineer of CNR 3377, his loco in Lowbanks on a quick turnaround, discovered a damaged siderod bearing while oiling around whilst the tender was being coaled. With a shop stall conveniently vacant, she was pushed in for repair work, missing her assignment.
Here she is, emerging from the shop and ready to roll.

[Image: CopyofCNR3377002.jpg]

Looks like it's not a moment too soon, either, as another loco, with a train, awaits her arrival on the main. The hogger will check the bearing at Elfrida, and again at South Cayuga, before the duo head north to Mount Forest.

[Image: CNR3377004.jpg]

[Image: CNR3377005.jpg]

You can view a movin' pitcher of this here lokie if ya look HERE. Sorry, but the fillum ain't in black 'n' white. Misngth

Wayne

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - eightyeightfan1 - 09-16-2012

Central New England's Consolidation No.9011, works the industrial lead in Winsted.

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - cn nutbar - 09-16-2012

Great shots Ed and Wayne---looks like the shop crew at Lowbanks have excelled in their job once again.Prior to her trip to Port Maitland,the engineer on #3377 had noticed some "unusual slipping and minor vibration" but felt the locomotive,which was being double-headed,could make the trip.Luckily she did make it to Lowbaks without having a serious malfunction---the management from the Leetown Division are once again grateful to the boys in the shop---looks like a case or two of "Honey Brown" are in order Cheers
Back at Leetown,another Mike heads east through Leetown

[Image: P1110349.jpg]

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - Charlie B - 10-29-2012

A trio of FM C-liners drift downgrade with a consist of stock cars.    
Charlie

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - doctorwayne - 10-29-2012

Lookin' good, Charlie. Thumbsup Glad to see that you're not out playin' in the rain. Wink Misngth

Another shot from the shops at Lowbanks - a minor makeover for this CNR Pacific:

[Image: Locomotives003.jpg]

Wayne

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - Charlie B - 10-29-2012

doctorwayne Wrote:Lookin' good, Charlie. Thumbsup Glad to see that you're not out playin' in the rain. Wink Misngth

Wayne

Well Wayne, I was out for about 2 hours this afternoon, and it was raining hard.

Charlie

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - cn nutbar - 10-29-2012

Great shots Charlie and Wayne---that's the first time I've seen #5270,she's a real beauty---I had heard rumours she was being transferred from Eastern Canada when the new diesels bumped her from her traditional role as the power on premier passenger trains---now she'll be ideally suited for commuter service on the Leetown Division.
Here's another steam scene from Leetown

[Image: P1140808-1-1.jpg]

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - doctorwayne - 11-17-2012

Here's another CNR loco, the latest permanent resident on my layout:

[Image: Locomotives014.jpg]

Wayne

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - MudHen 462 - 11-17-2012

Here's a "ghost" from my past layout, as I've jumped to HOn3 scale now and in the process of building my new pike.

[Image: Goose_4.jpg]

Bob

* Oooops... I've got to figure this one out, the rest of my photos loaded just fine.

Re: Watch out! Black & whites! - Running Bear - 11-17-2012

[Image: P1011801.jpg]